Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying navigation screen redraw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I've been dealing with this issue for a while. The Navigation screen seems to have a redraw problem. Most of the screen content disappears and then shows up again. Unfortunately this happens almost constantly when I drive. Does anyone else have this problem? Here is a video of it.

<a href="http://youtu.be/8oNZkmg_Hvg" target="_blank">

Last edited by a moderator:
What I think is happening here is that there are two routes that are very close in distance and the Nav unit has to work harder to figure out which one to use. I sometimes see this behaviour when the 17" display is also flipping between one and the other. I'd call it normal because both displays are dynamic and adjust the route every few seconds. This could be eliminated--or at least greatly reduced--if there were the movable dots to fix the route as there are in the web version of Google Maps. Also some "avoid ..." settings would reduce this behaviour.

It did show up after the 6.0 upgrade when they switched to traffic based routing. But it happens pretty much all the time and constantly. It's gotten to a point where it happens constantly about every 5-10 seconds (while the car is moving, not when I'm stopped at a light). I think it's just a bug that redraws the entire screen when it load the map data coming up. I doubt it's the switching between routes. That would happen here and there, not continuously.

It did show up after the 6.0 upgrade when they switched to traffic based routing. But it happens pretty much all the time and constantly. It's gotten to a point where it happens constantly about every 5-10 seconds (while the car is moving, not when I'm stopped at a light). I think it's just a bug that redraws the entire screen when it load the map data coming up. I doubt it's the switching between routes. That would happen here and there, not continuously.

Do you have the traffic re routing set to 5 min? If so, increase it to 10 min to see if that helps. I haven't had the issue you describe.

I also have the problem, after 6.0.

I've noticed that with 6.0 the displays can be sluggish sometimes. Yesterday, the "settings" display was very, very slow trying to draw opening the roof. And what you're seeing could be similar - something is running on the processors slowing everything down.

The map images are frequently redrawn, especially when the images are in "forward is up" mode, like on the dashboard. Plus the dashboard map will change resolution and automatically zoom out at higher speeds. Those redraws are usually pretty quick, and not very noticeable. What was shown in the video looks like the redraws are being slowed down considerably.

Next time this happens, try to reboot both of your processors and see if the problem continues - and if it does, issue a "bug report" because the navigation software shouldn't be this sluggish...

I would report it to Tesla. They are pretty good about eventually paying attention to such feedback, and even letting you know if they have fix in mind or in the works.

I kind of did. On my last visit at the Service Center I told them about a laggy display but they kind of brushed it off saying having a phone charger and a USB stick connected to the car would cause slow downs. I unplugged both and saw absolutely no difference. There are a few other issues so I guess I will have to go to the service center again.

When this happens, use the built-in bug reporting feature so the car can send a snapshot of the screen and status of the software to the engineering team to look at what's going on in your car - when the problem occurs.

Hold down the voice activation button and say "bug report" and a brief description of the problem. Once the software recognizes the bug report command, it should take a snapshot of the screens and the software and submit it to Tesla. This is documented in the release notes in the car.

Mine is in service for this issue and also the fact I lose GPS signal allot on long drives, the GPS puts me on the opposite side of the freeway or on side streets parallel to the road I am actually driving on, it then reroutes me every 20 seconds. They changed a gps cable but it hasn't fixed it they said. It's apparently just doing 360 degree turns on the main map screen now. I should get it back after the TG holiday, so will report back if they fixed the constant refresh too.