Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tridelphia WV to Dayton OH: too far?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the Dayton supercharger is up, is it practical in an 85 to drive to and from the Tridelphia supercharger without killing a couple of hours (using my single on-board charger) in Columbus?

Using evtripplanner, it seems that I can either drive 60 MPH, have everyone passing me, and make the leg in 3:26, or drive 75, like everyone else, but stop in Columbus for two hours to get the 56 miles of range that I'll need to reach the next supercharger, taking about 5:04.

Have you driven this leg? If so, what was your experience?

Your onboard single charger has nothing to do with level 3 charging, ie high current DC charging such as Tesla Supercharger or CHAdeMO.

The trip on flat terrain should be OK IMHO.

I assume you have the PlugShare app in your mobile, and you put an EVTripPlanner printout in the glovebox.

Not an owner yet, so takes this with a grain of salt.

If it was me, I'd think seriously about going on Hwy 22 and avoid the boring Hwy 70 and the traffic in Columbus. It doesn't add that many miles and there are a couple of residential PlugShares should you find you need a bit more. Do a range charge in Dayton.

I've found that, unlike a trip in an ICEV where you want to get it over as fast as possible, doing a trip in a Tesla means getting there is half the fun (sometimes more than half the fun depending).

Note that I haven't driven either route--just from the map.

@Kandiru: my single charger affects the length of the possible stop in Columbus: there the Tesla store and service centers only have HPWC, so dual chargers would make a difference. In particular, if I needed an extra 60 miles of range, the dual chargers would reduce my required stop from two hours to one.

@Jerry33: Adding an extra 18 miles or so on 22 doesn't make sense to me. But your suggestion made me look again at the map and see that US40 might be better if it allows easier driving at a power-conserving speed.

Thanks for your suggestions. It would still be great to hear from someone who's driven this route.

I drove this route this summer (before the Dayton SC was available). I charged up to 211 at Tridelphia, and stopped for the night in Columbus to HPWC charge up as much as possible since there was no Dayton SC (Dayton was my destination). While in Dayton, I did L2 charge once overnight at the Book Factory (see plugshare).

Here are my stats from the Tridelphia->Columbus leg (June, 2014):
Starting Rated miles: 211
Arriving Rated mies: 47
Rated miles used: 164
Actual miles: 137.4
Total energy: 45.2 kWh
Wh/mile: 329
Drive time: 2.0 hours
speed: 69 mph average
Temp: 81

207 miles on I-70 should be possible in good weather with an 85 kWh car with 19" wheels. I would try 65 mph and be prepared to stop at a 14-50 if needed.

Driving "The National Road" US40 looks like it might be even shorter! It also would be more interesting, and more comfortable at lower speeds.

GSP

@AoneOne
I'm considering this same trip within the next month so if you're heading out soon I would be very interested in your decision. I'm thinking the colder weather is going to force us to use the heater/defroster more and cause us to need to stop in Columbus. Fingers crossed that Columbus may come online before we leave but I certainly wouldn't mind you being a guinea pig :)
Thanks kindly if you post your results.

My current plan is to drive mostly along US40, where I can drive at a moderate speed, and just use I70 to get around city centers. The Tomorrow Stars RV resort is about 34 miles east of Dayton, so I'll probably stop there for a boost if necessary. Returning on Sunday, my options are more limited, so I'll leave early in case I need to detour to Tesla at Easton Town Center.

I'll post as I know more.

I have done that route both directions several times during the summer. On a full range charge I usually end up with about 30 miles left driving at about 65MPH with some mild drafting (4-5 seconds) behind a truck.
Easton is an option, but by the time you add the miles you need to travel N of 70 to get there and then back down, you need a little over an hour just to break even on that.

Trip notes:

US40 isn't a very good option: between the traffic lights and varying speeds, it's not obviously more efficient than I70.

At 35-40F Tuesday, we left WV with a full charge and arrived in Dayton with about 30 miles left, after alternating between US40 and I70, using I70 to bypass most of the communities. The cost in time (most of an hour) and distance (about 6 more miles) wasn't obviously worth it. The time on I70, keeping up with the traffic (following slower trucks when they provided cover) was just as efficient as the less regular, but slower, legs on US40.

At 65-70F Sunday, we left Dayton with a full charge and arrive in WV with about 50 miles left, driving with the faster (but not fastest) traffic. Warmer temperatures make a big difference.

Overall conclusions:

With 70+ kWh available, and a 206 mile trip, that's about 340 Wh/mile. In the Ohio topography, keeping below that usage seems pretty easy. Eastern Ohio has more hills, so save a bit more battery for that part.

Drive at moderate speed, limit cabin heating, and use range mode (when you don't need much regen) to keep to that power usage. Turn the climate control on while charging to precondition the cabin.

If the weather is very cold and you can't achieve 340 Wh/mile, use Plugshare and/or Tesla facilities to get the energy you need, but that shouldn't be necessary except on the coldest of days.

Good luck on your trips.

Just to memorialize:
With an 85, you can drive the speed limit on I70 and make it between Triadelphia and Dayton. We did it with two adults and about a week's worth of luggage. On the way out the temps were in the 30s and we used the heat modestly. On the way back temps were in the 50s and we didn't need the heat at all. Might be a moot point as Columbus should be open in a week or so.