Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob Design for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any speculation about the design of the key fob for the model X, I guess it can't be the same as for the Model S. Just to make it thicker to reflect the height of the car w/o any additional functionalities wouldn't make sense either. Maybe anybody made some thoughts about it and would like to discuss to shorten the waiting time for it :smile:

It'll be a thick X. Each corner/leg does something different. Top left single locks it. Double unlocks. Top right opens the falcons (and lets out a bloodcurdling screech). Bottom left opens the rear trunk. Bottom right pops the (fully motorized) frunX.

Yes, opening frunk, rear, front doors and Falcon wing doors on the model just like a matchbox car. When you open the key fob model's doors, the real ones open. Better make the keyfob out of polished aluminum and not plastic.

I assume the Model X won't have a panoramic roof but otherwise this will have to be on the feyfob model as well.

Why do we need a keyfob at all? A simple chip will do it with all your individual needs. Steering per mobile phone, or with gestures, or nearing a foot under the car to open trunk/frunk will do it, for example.

They are transmitting anyway, so why do that also have to be a joystick? Only to impress others while laying it on the table?

I hope Tesla is following there path in reducing and removing useless crap.

I don't want a key disturbing in my pockets and which could be lost somewhere.

If others need a key, why not doing it an option?

Last edited:
I was recently surprised to learn that the Model S does not have individual FOBs that would precondition the car to the drivers preferences. That has been around for several years on nearly every car over $25K. Although I will be the primary driver of my Model X (someday soooon), it would be great for most to have a FOB for each driver and allow the seats and mirrors to adjust when approaching the car.

I guess the Model S has a preset button for multiple drivers??

Personally I'd prefer a more traditional fob. While having the fob look like a small model s is cute, it limits the number of functions the fob can have. The fob is also a bit delicate, requiring us to buy covers to keep the plastic from cracking. Imho, Tesla should go with something similar to Audi or MB. Real buttons, solid feel. Functional and durable.

Id like a credit card (or smaller) sized fob that could be kept in my wallet.

Actually, I think this is the best idea so far. I would also prefer NFC capabilities so I can just open the car with my cell phone (not an app, just by holding it close enough). The same could be done with a BT 4 proximity check. The credit card remote would be nice to open other doors, frunk or trunk.

Can't find it right now, but I'm pretty sure one of the early reviews by verge or motor trend had a pic of the fob. Similar concept, but taller in back representing the higher tail end of the X. Didn't look as nice and probably overly sized for what it needs to be to make the shape match.

2016-Tesla-Model-X-key-fob-1000x665.jpg

Source: http://www.motortrend.com/features/...ings_you_need_to_know_about_the_ev_crossover/

Any speculation about the design of the key fob for the model X, I guess it can't be the same as for the Model S. Just to make it thicker to reflect the height of the car w/o any additional functionalities wouldn't make sense either. Maybe anybody made some thoughts about it and would like to discuss to shorten the waiting time for it :smile:
Did anyone get a look while at the event?