Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limiting Power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I accelerate hard I get the dashed yellow line indicating that the Model S is limiting power output. The manual says it will limit power for reasons such as low battery or temperature extremes. I was driving with 150+ miles remaining in 65 degree Phoenix weather, so it doesn't sound like either of those apply. Any idea why my power is being limited?

Does it happen all the time or just some of the time?

Had you been driving hard in the minutes prior to this?

It's possible the drivetrain was already warm from previous hard driving. If you hadn't been driving hard before, that's unusual and I'd call Tesla.

Does it happen all the time or just some of the time?

Had you been driving hard in the minutes prior to this?

It's possible the drivetrain was already warm from previous hard driving. If you hadn't been driving hard before, that's unusual and I'd call Tesla.

mine happens all the time, even when full in any weather (hot or cold). now that I think about it, I really need to check to see if it's limiting to 160kW 100% of the time bc thats my perception every time I slam on it...

Occasionally I see the limiter line up near the 320kW mark under full accel... doesn't happen every time (pretty sure, but I'm usually paying attention to the road more under full accel....), and it isn't limited much if it actually is at all. My assumption has just been that the yellow dashed line there is showing that max power has been reached, regardless of if it is actually limiting it below max... similar to when the regen limiter line disappears, but appears again when it is hit (like 40kW-ish usually).

I have seen this very often, but not always. Up until now there's always been a reason behind it: either cold, or low battery, or demanding drive style.

But I've never seen it happening on optimal conditions. I agree with the posts that say you should report it if it is systematically doing it (you can use the report function as soon as it happens, this should help TM).