Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway passing power: P85D vs. P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that they're about the same. It's 0-50 where the real difference shows. Both have plenty of passing power at highway speeds. To steal a phrase, "It's not point and squirt, it's teleportation".

From the available data, it is beginning to seem likely that the peak output is clear to the same. However, at higher speeds the current car loses power site to back EMF (I presume - all I know is I was shown a curve the gets down to about half the output over 100 mph.)

It is likely that the D cars will suffer less power loss at high speeds due to the taller front motor gearing, thus giving a relative increase in power.
Walter

Don't worry about it....

I have a P85 and THAT has all the passing power anyone would ever need outside a NASCAR track...the P85D will be "insane" as Elon said when he rolled it out :love:

There is only about 0.2 or 0.3 second difference in the P85 and S85 when it comes to 45 mph to 65 mph passing times. The only direct comparison I could find was at Motor Tend. No doubt the P85D will be even quicker. But with my S85 I find the highway passing is so fast that the main problem is not running down the cars in front of the one you are passing. Real world I can seldom use full power. Passing is almost always faster than a similar powered ICE because there is no lag, which makes it feel even quicker.

It is really all kind of moot. As I think about it more I am a little concerned that there may be more and more spectacular crashes as a result of such incredible power. Such power has until now been unavailable to such a broad market. When you buy a $500K supercar you tend to be a little careful with it.

I hope not both for safety and for insurance rates.

It is really all kind of moot. As I think about it more I am a little concerned that there may be more and more spectacular crashes as a result of such incredible power. Such power has until now been unavailable to such a broad market. When you buy a $500K supercar you tend to be a little careful with it.

I hope not both for safety and for insurance rates.

There are other cars that have similar power for only slightly higher prices (and lower prices if you are willing to consider used vehicles).

That said, I agree, I am quite sure there are people who are buying P85D now only because it's the newest thing to show off to their friends, and have no idea of the potential risks when driving a car with this much power, especially at the low end with near-zero latency. Those same people probably wouldn't have bought a Porsche 997 Turbo or a Nissan Skyline GT-R as it was too impractical, and for the most part, only the 'right' demographic was buying those cars.

I'm certain that launch from a standstill is where the D will really shine relative to other exotics and the P85+, but curious to get your thoughts on what passing power at highway speeds will be like. Since there's 50% more torque at all times relative to the +, I imagine there will be a very noticeable upgrade at speeds above 65. At least I hope so :)

I can assure you that the P85 and + version that I pilot have more than enough passing power. Many of my unsuspecting passengers have emitted "holy crap!" comments when I nail the go pedal on a freeway on ramp or passing slower traffic on the freeway. The P85+ acceleration at any speed is literally breathtaking. It's quicker than my still pretty awesome BMW M3 with a 4 liter V8 and 6-speed stick.

I can assure you that the P85 and + version that I pilot have more than enough passing power. Many of my unsuspecting passengers have emitted "holy crap!" comments when I nail the go pedal on a freeway on ramp or passing slower traffic on the freeway. The P85+ acceleration at any speed is literally breathtaking. It's quicker than my still pretty awesome BMW M3 with a 4 liter V8 and 6-speed stick.

Agree with you Steve and same happens to my passengers. Looks like we are not only neighbors but have the same garage contents. Just tracked the M3 a few weeks ago and it was so nice to come home to the MS :)

There is only about 0.2 or 0.3 second difference in the P85 and S85 when it comes to 45 mph to 65 mph passing times. The only direct comparison I could find was at Motor Tend. No doubt the P85D will be even quicker. But with my S85 I find the highway passing is so fast that the main problem is not running down the cars in front of the one you are passing. Real world I can seldom use full power. Passing is almost always faster than a similar powered ICE because there is no lag, which makes it feel even quicker.

this is NOT true. Don't care what motor trend said or what tests they did! I have an email from the higher ups at tesla that confirm all three versions of the cars 60mph+ will travel at the exact same speed. So....if that p85D is next to my "old" P85 and we're noth going 60mph on the freeway already the D won't pull away from me. We'll be dead even! The only true difference is on the 0-60 takeoff. Don't get me wrong. THe car is still insanely fast....

I can assure you without question, this is NOT true.... I've tested the P85 vs S85 and the P85 pulls away at speed. I will have both a P85D and a P85 in my garage shortly with a video to show the differences.....

this is NOT true. Don't care what motor trend said or what tests they did! I have an email from the higher ups at tesla that confirm all three versions of the cars 60mph+ will travel at the exact same speed. So....if that p85D is next to my "old" P85 and we're noth going 60mph on the freeway already the D won't pull away from me. We'll be dead even! The only true difference is on the 0-60 takeoff. Don't get me wrong. THe car is still insanely fast....

I have as well. Now while I agree if you start out one will pull away from another. However if you take a 60,85, and p85 and line them up all going 60 mph with cruise set and then all floor at the same time one will not pull away from another. Theyare all equal.

Now ow I suppose if a person had a faster response time than another jump seats (which add weight structurally etc) but.... From what both my service center manager and Jerome guillen have confirmed all Teslas are created equal 60mph+.

@breser who was kind enough to allow us to test our P85 against his S85 he can confirm this!