Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Footwell cover in trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MS with the cover for around 18 months - and haven't had any issues with it. If you put something extremely heavy that only sits on the cover - then you might have a problem. I also have the Tesla floor mat over the cover, and haven't worried about putting anything into the trunk area. Several months ago, I used my MS to move a lot of boxes (some heavy) when I was moving out of my house - and didn't have any problems (I didn't even worry about it at the time).

There are two styles: old and new. The old style is not much more than fibreboard with a carpet covering, the new style is plastic and much stronger. You can tell which one you have because the old style has a handle in the middle. The new style just has a pull strip. If you have the new style I wouldn't worry much unless you're filing the back with gold bars or some similar material.

• Funny
Reactions: rpez021
I have the much flimsier first gen fiber board cover. It was able to support my 70lb greyhound with some deformation, but no real worry of breaking. I did cut out a 3/8" plywood blank that I can put over the hole. But haven't really ever needed to use it.

I've asked at the service center for a cost on the new plastic cover. Like jerry33 says, it looks to be able to handle anything that isn't going to overload the car. But they haven't been able to give me a price.

I had my cover replaced (no charge) at the annual service last week. The old one (the original version) had the carpet starting to separate from the hardboard backing. It would have been fixable, but the SC had no issues replacing it with the new design, which is much stronger.

I have the much flimsier first gen fiber board cover. It was able to support my 70lb greyhound with some deformation, but no real worry of breaking. I did cut out a 3/8" plywood blank that I can put over the hole. But haven't really ever needed to use it.

I've asked at the service center for a cost on the new plastic cover. Like jerry33 says, it looks to be able to handle anything that isn't going to overload the car. But they haven't been able to give me a price.

Should've just asked them to replace it: I had the original flimsy cover and my SC replaced it with the newer version as soon as it was available. I barely had to whine. :wink: