Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Album Artworks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I can't seem to load any of the album artworks from the usb stick. I purchased the albums from itunes that come with artworks and such. Has anyone successfully load the artworks while the album is playing just like Slacker radio?

Thanks,
N

If I recall correctly, if you select to play items in a specific folder (folder view) it doesn't even get artwork from the Internet, just shows the 'unknown' artwork icon. If you play from Song or artist view, it does the internet browsing - it always ignores the embedded artwork however.

Only about 10% of my songs show artwork. Of those about 50% are wrong--and some of those are very wrong. (Michael Jackson album cover for a Japanese female singer). The annoying thing is that in firmware 4.x Almost all the album art was correct (with about 75% of the songs having artwork) and all the songs had the time bar. Now only about 25% of the songs have the time bar. I don't understand why they broke it.

What baffles me is RADIO album artwork. As in FM radio.

I sometimes listen to the local PBS radio FM station for news while driving. Unfortunately, the very first time I did this, probably the day I took delivery of the car, the software decided to show an album cover, some 2012 best-of various artists compilation, that has nothing to do with the PBS station and I doubt they even played any music from it. But to this day, and it's now late 2014, whenever I listen to that PBS FM station, it shows that damn album cover.

Is there any way to get rid of it?

What baffles me is RADIO album artwork. As in FM radio.

I sometimes listen to the local PBS radio FM station for news while driving. Unfortunately, the very first time I did this, probably the day I took delivery of the car, the software decided to show an album cover, some 2012 best-of various artists compilation, that has nothing to do with the PBS station and I doubt they even played any music from it. But to this day, and it's now late 2014, whenever I listen to that PBS FM station, it shows that damn album cover.

Is there any way to get rid of it?

I noticed the same - it appears Tesla uses some algorithm based on the station name and the title to pull up the closest matching album art. I say closest matching with a large grain of salt. In your case, I don't think it is stuck per se. If you go to tune-in radio and choose a talk station ( SRF-4 News is a good example), you'll see as the topics change, the album art changes to the most absurd things that are completely unrelated.

This whole issue belongs to the larger issue that the whole multimedia UI of the Tesla is weak. The AM/FM radio UI, the Bluetooth device UI, the Internet streaming UI, the whole kit and kaboodle seems hastily thrown together and not really optimized for the driver.

I'd argue that compared to almost any conventional car, Tesla's entire interface for dealing with media fails. With a conventional car, you usually have lots more physical knobs and buttons even if there's a screen (or touch-screen). So despite how seemingly arbitrary the layout of information and buttons, one can get a hang of it quickly and it becomes something you can master even while driving. Muscle memory comes into play. You can concentrate on the road and trust your fingers will find the right settings.

Not so, the Tesla. Sure, there are some steering column buttons for next/previous, volume control/mute, etc, but there aren't enough of them, and the ones that are available all suffer from Tesla's notorious system latency which adds an annoying delay to doing even the simplest task. And if you're skipping through a bunch of songs on one's iPod or iPhone, all that latency accumulates and makes for a very unsatisfying interaction.

I wish they'd redo the whole multimedia area. It's woefully out of date. I kinda wish Consumer Reports had dinged Tesla a point or two because of the weak multimedia interface. That might've gotten Elon's attention. Whining owners certainly haven't, so far.

The album art lookup is ludicrous. I listen to podcasts for which (I think Tesla uses Gracenote?) there is no album art. However... they try. I listen to Astronomy Cast, featuring Dr Pamela Gay. You can only imagine the crazy images Tesla pulls up for that one. Huge on the 17" display!

Brilliant, thanks Tesla :redface:

I emailed Tesla about it, but the response was simply to reboot and that I could bring it in to clear the image cache. Can't see that fixing the lookup algorithm. :confused:

Here's another example: KNX-1070 radio in Los Angeles. Big CBS News/Talk radio station.

But for some reason, Tesla thought this was the right album artwork. (There should be no album at all -- if anything, it should show the KNX 1070 CBS Radio logo! -- that would be cool.)

knx-tesla.jpg

Here's another example: KNX-1070 radio in Los Angeles. Big CBS News/Talk radio station.

But for some reason, Tesla thought this was the right album artwork. (There should be no album at all -- if anything, it should show the KNX 1070 CBS Radio logo! -- that would be cool.)

View attachment 64513

- > https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Attaque-77-Amateur-Vinyl-Replica/hnum/8767875

I see "Vinyl Replica: Amateur" as the title of the podcast - also matches the album art db :(