Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar Detector - Passport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a lot of older posts about this. I have not seen any since the new forward looking camera was installed into the cars. Has anyone been successful in wiring up a passport to the rearview mirror? Has anyone found the sweet-spot for the windshield placement?

I just got my car last week and looking to get it road ready... Coating, Window tint, Radar detector, etc.

I have the same list as you, when my time comes. I've followed the existing threads for a couple of years and, unfortunately, believe the only solution is a nosecone/remote installation. I currently have a V1, so going to buy a STI-R.

How 'bout the the front rear laser jammers (good body shop will flush bumper mount) with integrated dash kill switch, also featuring a 5 second timed relay brake light cutoff.
As for the radar detector alone, it will get you max fines, cruisers carry the mighty Spectre because commercial lose their licenses if they carry an RD:

Spectre Elite Radar Detector Detector

They will never say anything to you BUT before they put the hat on they will know you have a radar detector in your car by having induced the oscilloscope in it from as far as 400ft with the Mg alloy shield on or not.

Last edited:
Same list here. I have a new P85+ with the mirror camera, driver assist, etc.
Got the windows tinted. They came out great. About $750.
I have a 9500ix in my other car. I love it. But it doesn't work with our windshield. Plus I use the clear spot next to the mirror for my FastTrak. I have been looking into radar detector options. I'm in California, so no laser jamming allowed. The Passport 8500ci looks like the best option. Around $800 plus installation behind the nosecone. Display will be just below the screen in the cubby. I am wondering if the radar traffic sensor below the nosecone will affect the radar detector.

How 'bout the the front rear laser jammers (good body shop will flush bumper mount) with integrated dash kill switch, also featuring a 5 second timed relay brake light cutoff.
As for the radar detector alone, it will get you max fines, cruisers carry the mighty Spectre because commercial lose their licenses if they carry an RD:

Spectre Elite Radar Detector Detector

They will never say anything to you BUT before they put the hat on they will know you have a radar detector in your car by having induced the oscilloscope in it from as far as 400ft with the Mg alloy shield on or not.

The OP is in Texas, radar detectors are not illegal here.

- - - Updated - - -

Same list here. I have a new P85+ with the mirror camera, driver assist, etc.
Got the windows tinted. They came out great. About $750.
I have a 9500ix in my other car. I love it. But it doesn't work with our windshield. Plus I use the clear spot next to the mirror for my FastTrak. I have been looking into radar detector options. I'm in California, so no laser jamming allowed. The Passport 8500ci looks like the best option. Around $800 plus installation behind the nosecone. Display will be just below the screen in the cubby. I am wondering if the radar traffic sensor below the nosecone will affect the radar detector.

This thread has lots of useful details on installing the CI, I posted a detailed photo write up starting here. The radar sensor was easy to mount on the steel beam behind the nosecone, I'm ~20 months into using it, and the radar range and detection is great. The GPS antenna also went on that beam, it has a strong magnetic base, so that was easy.

$3k seems very steep. I bought my CI from eBay for around $800, local quotes were in the $500-600 range, although I ulitmately decided to do it myself as I didn't get a warm feeling from any of the installers. It's very do-able if you're a bit handy, otherwise, shop around the install, it's (at most) a 5hr job for a good installer.