Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because this was one of the earlier superchargers, I don't think we have a thread dedicated to all things Newark DE which seems to be the paradigm we're following.

Anywho, I was there last wkd charging and there was a maintenance guy cleaning the trash by the Superchargers. He is definitely fascinated by the cars. He said he sees other EVs (non-Tesla) trying to figure out how to plug into it all the time. He see's that occur more frequently now because they installed generic L2 chargers a few hundred feet further by the trucks. Problem he says is that people look on plugshare/etc which take them to this address and the only thing they see is the Tesla chargers and if they are not EV-Savy they don't understand that these are proprietary to Tesla and there's no signage to tell them where the other chargers are.

He wishes he could afford a Tesla and has been looking into the Volt. Seemed like a nice hard working guy.

He also said that Tesla is supposed to come back and put 4 more chargers on the northbound side. Obviously that was the other issue for lots of people coming northbound through here for the first time they don't realize they have to cross over to the southbound side to locate the chargers. He didn't give a timeframe on when Tesla was coming back to do that work.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pollux
Stupid tapatalk is no longer allowing me to upload photos. Crap software now. Won't even let me change upload to be hosted by imgur either.
I was recently prompted to download a new version (installed separate from the one I had, which stayed in place too). It worked to post pics of SC build progress on a thread here. Lots of pics. Big ones. It didn't cost anything, perhaps you need to grab the new one?
"Tapatalk V3.2.1" - hope it matches your device OS.

Rick

He also said that Tesla is supposed to come back and put 4 more chargers on the southbound side. Obviously that was the other issue for lots of people coming northbound through here for the first time they don't realize they have to cross over to the southbound side to locate the chargers. He didn't give a timeframe on when Tesla was coming back to do that work.

Intersting. I have used the DE supercharger quite a bit mostly on very peak travel times and I have never seen more then three other Teslas there. I do appreciate the proactive nature of Tesla but this one really isn't necessary. I hope it isn't too high a priority on the SC install list.

Intersting. I have used the DE supercharger quite a bit mostly on very peak travel times and I have never seen more then three other Teslas there. I do appreciate the proactive nature of Tesla but this one really isn't necessary. I hope it isn't too high a priority on the SC install list.

I'm planning to go through there for Thanksgiving, so I hope you're right...

I meant northbound, on the other side but your right, regardless the 4 already there southbound are never full.

Additional stalls would be helpful regardless because the existing cabinets are Gen 1 90kW units. Just my selfish two cents. :)

I'll be interested to hear reports of queues during the Thanksgiving driving rush.

I agree that upgrading both the size and number of superchargers here would be valuable. Newark is a linchpin of the East Coast charging network you really need it if you were going south from Philadelphia or north from Baltimore. Increasing this to eight stalls in each direction will provide long-term support for travel on this important corridor. An upgrade to 135 kW will also help with potential crowding, as the newer cars can get out on the road faster. Me and my old A battery will not be helped directly, but faster is better for everyone.

At approximately 2200 it was full; I got the last stall. By about 20 min later it was empty; I was the last one there.
984199c911d6a30b22c1a5f182641ef1.jpg

At approximately 2200 it was full; I got the last stall. By about 20 min later it was empty; I was the last one there.
984199c911d6a30b22c1a5f182641ef1.jpg

That 35MPH sign is visible from I95 which brings up a concern. If using autopilot on I95 and it sees this sign, I wonder how aggressively the car will slow down. Could be dangerous. Assuming the auto speed can be overridden with the accelerator (like normal cruise control), I guess the driver and preemptively compensate.

There are other places on I95 (and I'm sure elsewhere) that have side streets with slow speed limit signs visible from the highway.

Sorry to change the subject, but the picture reminded me of this.

Frankly, I think the "reading speed limit signs" is just a gimmick ("because it can"). I'm sure there are a few people out there who want/like to drive exactly the speed limit all the time, but in reality -- I just don't see it happening, especially in a sports sedan like the Model S. It would be better served as a console alert ("Warning -- The speed limit just dropped to 55 MPH, check your speed") than to actually adjust the speed of the car. Just MHO.

Frankly, I think the "reading speed limit signs" is just a gimmick ("because it can"). I'm sure there are a few people out there who want/like to drive exactly the speed limit all the time, but in reality -- I just don't see it happening, especially in a sports sedan like the Model S. It would be better served as a console alert ("Warning -- The speed limit just dropped to 55 MPH, check your speed") than to actually adjust the speed of the car. Just MHO.

Sort of along those lines I want to be able to set the cruise control (autopilot) to 10 mph above the speed limit (or any other increment I choose) ie Speed Limit 55 mph - cruise controlled at 65 mph. car reads sign for 65mph and automatically increases speed to 75 mph. and visa versa.

I'll be interested to hear reports of queues during the Thanksgiving driving rush.

I agree that upgrading both the size and number of superchargers here would be valuable. Newark is a linchpin of the East Coast charging network you really need it if you were going south from Philadelphia or north from Baltimore. Increasing this to eight stalls in each direction will provide long-term support for travel on this important corridor. An upgrade to 135 kW will also help with potential crowding, as the newer cars can get out on the road faster. Me and my old A battery will not be helped directly, but faster is better for everyone.

Agreed an upgrade would be nice.

Not to mention that you are also helped somewhat more directly if you and another car must share the same supercharger cabinet... with 135kW chargers there's a greater possibility you will get closer to the full amount of power your car can draw for a longer period.

Was there a couple weeks ago. All four stalls were occupied by other Teslas. Wife was not happy but luckily we only had to wait a coue of minutes for a spot to open up.

I agree that upgrading both the size and number of superchargers here would be valuable. Newark is a linchpin of the East Coast charging network you really need it if you were going south from Philadelphia or north from Baltimore. Increasing this to eight stalls in each direction will provide long-term support for travel on this important corridor.

I think the OP meant adding 4 stalls to the other side, not adding 4 stalls to the existing side AND adding 8 stalls to the NB side. So it would be 4 stalls in each direction, 8 total, which for the reasons you stated, are a welcome and necessary addition as more and more cars are sold. Newark is an important SC crossroad.

The only downside is now I have to go to both sides to find/chat with other MS owners. :/

Sort of along those lines I want to be able to set the cruise control (autopilot) to 10 mph above the speed limit (or any other increment I choose) ie Speed Limit 55 mph - cruise controlled at 65 mph. car reads sign for 65mph and automatically increases speed to 75 mph. and visa versa.

Don't have the new car yet so I can't say with certainty, but I thought this was already an option.