Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PA EZ Pass never ever gets read!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having this problem? I have tried three EZ passes. None will read when placed anywhere within the Tesla. A toll booth operator helped me out once by taking it out of the car and waving it around the outside of the front window. It worked!

I took delivery in June. I've received over 15 toll violations in 7 states since then (I've been driving the car all over the U.S.!)

I'd like to be able to go through a toll without opening my sun roof and waving the transponder around. Yes, another toll booth operator suggested that and it actually works.

Anyone else having this problem? Given I've tried three transponders, it has to be my Tesla blocking the signal. Right?

I didn't want the EZPass on my windshield, so I got the external one that fits on top of my license plate. I had to go to MVA office in person to get it, but it works.

Great suggestion, CatB, because I've never keep an EZ pass in the window of my other cars. I always use it then put it in the glove box right away.. Just don't like the look. Another great idea! Thanks!

Like CatB, I have an EZ-Pass mounted on the license plate. It works perfectly.

I also have a regular EZ-Pass that I have used in Tesla loaner cars, and like Theshadows, I have had success with placing it on the black dots. To be sure, I have an EZ-Pass issued by Virginia, and there is always a possibility that the Pennsylvania-issued EZ-Pass is not as Tesla friendly.

Strange. I have the license plate version as well. Most tolls work perfectly fine, but there's one consistent one that fails to read. I don't know if it's the car or the reader.

My transponder is mounted at the bottom of my license plate. Where did you guys mount yours? Top or bottom of license plate?

I have both a NY EZPass and a Florida Sunpass. I mount the required device just below the mirror mount and have had no problems traveling the Supecharger routes in the north east ( Pennsylvania, NY, Maryland, Delaware )
I did have a couple of misreads in Orange County around Orlando but only found out about them because I had not registered my plate with Sunpass. Sunpass told me that if they get a bad read they look at the plate capture and charge to the plate if it is registered with Sunpass. They do not contact the account holder when this happens. After explaining to the Sunpass rep that I had failed to add my Tesla to the registry they removed the fine portion of the charge. I also found out that Sunpass users get a discounted rate on the tolls!

I have a DE "pearl" (small)-style EZ-Pass that I mount in the "clear" part of the dot pattern behind the mirror (non-camera version). I've never had a problem with it. Perhaps the newer-style has some range improvements somehow?

I got the license plate version of EZ Pass and the Tesla service center mounted it behind my nose cone with double sided tape and it works like a charm. Never fails. Most of my Pa friends have done the same thing.

I tried to do the same with mine (Houston's HCTRA), but found that the service center had stuck it on the bumper directly behind the license plate, which (as it turns out) is an amazingly good RF shield. It's a big old clunky thing and the parking sensors take up enough space that I wasn't able to find any other place to mount it on the structures behind the nose cone, so I finally gave up and mounted it to the license plate bracket.

I thought about sticking it to the inside surface of the nose cone, but was concerned that the tape/tag would be visible through the plastic.

I had the same problem with my New Jersey EZ Pass. Finally, I called EZ Pass and the person I spoke to told me that they have a list of cars with which the internal EZ Pass doesn't work. Although the Tesla is not yet on the list, she suggested that I order an external transponder. I did and that has worked flawlessly. The same two screws that hold the front license plate in place now hold both the external transponder and the license plate in place. (The external transponder is black.)

I got the license plate version of EZ Pass and the Tesla service center mounted it behind my nose cone with double sided tape and it works like a charm. Never fails. Most of my Pa friends have done the same thing.

I've found 2 toll plazas in NYC which didn't take my nose-cone mounted transponder.
I now keep a spare in the car wrapped in foil - because arguing with a NYC police officer
with traffic backing up behind you is not my ideal day. (Note, I mounted my own behind
the nose cone, not the service center).

My wife didn't want to deal with this and got hers mounted on the front plate.

I've had good results with my EZ-Pass mounted on the base of the inside rearview mirror. No misreads.

EZ Pass.JPG

I'm getting an S85D in February in Pennsylvania and have been worrying about this also. It seems like I read somewhere that the newer windshields have more trouble with EZ pass due to a different metallic film pattern, so I'm wondering if anyone with a newer model has tried this. Are there any P85D owners out there who have successfully windshield mounted an EZ pass in PA? What about with the newer style small size EZ pass? The one in the picture above seems to be the older large style. Also, @xrayangiodoc, which Model S do you have that mounted in?