Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed adjustable rear camber links to reduce rear tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I had SUPRKAR's adjustable rear camber links (see post #502) installed on my car. The installation took about 3 hours but it was well worth it as the setting are perfect for minimizing rear tire wear: -1.00 camber and 0.18 toe. Without the adjustable links the -1.00 camber setting is near impossible. The work was done by Jeff Wise of Wise Automotive in Timonium, MD. The guy's a perfectionist -- he would not stop until he got the specs spot on. He removed the aerodynamic panels under the rear axle to provide better access to the links as he was making the settings.

I've driven about 15 miles since the installation over familiar routes and the change in handling is not substantial. The adjustable links are a work of art.

IMG_00663.jpg

Here's a shot of it installed.

IMG_0071.jpg

And the setup equipment.

IMG_0078.JPG

Thanks to lolachampcar for all of the work he's done to make this possible. And to SUPRKAR for having the adjustable links made.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Wow! That's not too bad! I do wonder what the benefit will be on D-models, considering the expected decrease in rear tire wear. Perhaps still beneficial, but will likely take longer to pay for itself.

Unless they have changed the possible alignment settings, it should provide the same benefits. (resistance to the shoulder wear during turns, which isn't the same as the reduced wear that the D provides).

Rick:

Anything different: for install of links, and settings, for p85+ vs p85 staggered 21 vs regular 21's

your buddy howard in cincinnati

ps LOVE YOUR FRONT CAMERA!!!

Thanks Howard. Ironically, when I had the MobileEye System installed the installer managed to disable my front camera. The usual solutions did not work so I probably have to replace all of the cables to get it to work.

Now that you have had them for a while how do you like them?

Thank you.

Today I had SUPRKAR's adjustable rear camber links (see post #502) installed on my car. The installation took about 3 hours but it was well worth it as the setting are perfect for minimizing rear tire wear: -1.00 camber and 0.18 toe. Without the adjustable links the -1.00 camber setting is near impossible. The work was done by Jeff Wise of
Thanks Howard. Ironically, when I had the MobileEye System installed the installer managed to disable my front camera. The usual solutions did not work so I probably have to replace all of the cables to get it to work.

The guy's a perfectionist -- he would not stop until he got the specs spot on. He removed the aerodynamic panels under the rear axle to provide better access to the links as he was making the settings.

I've driven about 15 miles since the installation over familiar routes and the change in handling is not substantial. The adjustable links are a work of art.

View attachment 64113

Here's a shot of it installed.

View attachment 64114

And the setup equipment.

View attachment 64115

Thanks to lolachampcar for all of the work he's done to make this possible. And to SUPRKAR for having the adjustable links made.

Are the links even available any more? Would love them on my P100D, otherwise I guess I'll start driving in HIGH or VERY HIGH on my unplugged brackets for highway driving to avoid ruining my new set of tires in 5k miles like my last set?

Are the links even available any more? Would love them on my P100D, otherwise I guess I'll start driving in HIGH or VERY HIGH on my unplugged brackets for highway driving to avoid ruining my new set of tires in 5k miles like my last set?

So does the UP brackets and driving at a higher corrected some of the negative camber? Can you tell any difference in the tire wear?

Brackets would make it worse since they lower the air ride set points. That's why I'm interested in finding a way to correct the rear camber, which sounds like a one off custom made piece. I went through a set of hankooks in the rear in 5-7k miles.

Thanks! I'll reach out to them and see what they say. Are they difficult to install, guessing any good alignment shop would be able to handle it? Only caveats being dealing with Tesla if anything came up.

I had installation done by a local shop that I trust. The rear diffuser has to be taken off to provide better access, so I lift was needed, and an alignment has to be done after installation.

BBC Speed and Machine still sell them. $1235 shipped.

They are super easy to install. Just remove the rear wheels and two large bolts (19mm if I recall) and one 7mm bolt will remove them, then replace.

You'll need to immediately get an alignment though, as your camber is going to be seriously off after installing these. I tried to eyeball it and got dead on with one side, but was really off on the other side.

Takes about 20 minutes a side if you know what you're doing. Otherwise, budget about 1.5 hours.

BBC Speed and Machine still sell them. $1235 shipped.

They are super easy to install. Just remove the rear wheels and two large bolts (19mm if I recall) and one 7mm bolt will remove them, then replace.

You'll need to immediately get an alignment though, as your camber is going to be seriously off after installing these. I tried to eyeball it and got dead on with one side, but was really off on the other side.

Takes about 20 minutes a side if you know what you're doing. Otherwise, budget about 1.5 hours.

Awesome thanks for the reply will make a call tomorrow.