Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tech Package: Should Include handsfree automatic liftgate ala Ford Escape/Kuga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the leader in automotive technology currently, the tech package should have included the very innovative handsfree/automatic liftgate like they use in Ford SUVs...

Just saying....

Opinions?

It's just using that capacitive sensor they use in Wii and Xbox with similar function to a standard button switch you press to open and close the power liftgate.

Cheers.

Yes would be great to have. Since the car knows you're there by proximity, waving your foot under the car would be awesome.

-m

OMG just read the article. Says Ford had to make sure the sensor wouldn't trigger when going over potholes. Uh, the sensor is active when the car is in motion? That seems like a bad decision.

Yes would be great to have. Since the car knows you're there by proximity, waving your foot under the car would be awesome.

-m

OMG just read the article. Says Ford had to make sure the sensor wouldn't trigger when going over potholes. Uh, the sensor is active when the car is in motion? That seems like a bad decision.

That's when they were still formulating the algorithms for the function. It's pretty sure Tesla engineering team can probably do much better work with their own flavour if they implement it. They can even use the proximity sensor of the FOB instead of investing on a new sensor if they can find a way to detect a gesture (kick) out of it, else it has to use such sensor I suppose.

The kick door shows some clever thinking from Ford, but I'm not sure it's super-useful, good for marketing though (maybe like the equally useless calendar integration in the Model S). I very much doubt Tesla will follow suit (a pride/ego thing), but if the car will drive to you when you're outside the store with an arm-full of bags, who needs a kick door :)

The kick door shows some clever thinking from Ford, but I'm not sure it's super-useful, good for marketing though (maybe like the equally useless calendar integration in the Model S). I very much doubt Tesla will follow suit (a pride/ego thing), but if the car will drive to you when you're outside the store with an arm-full of bags, who needs a kick door :)

I usually find it would be useful when I'm carrying bags of dog food out from the store. I put down, open trunk, place in trunk. Being able to open the hatch hands-free would be a nice touch.

Is it necessary? No, but as you said, neither is the calendar integration (and a number of other things Tesla added).

I usually find it would be useful when I'm carrying bags of dog food out from the store. I put down, open trunk, place in trunk. Being able to open the hatch hands-free would be a nice touch.

Is it necessary? No, but as you said, neither is the calendar integration (and a number of other things Tesla added).

Exactly. +1 and with ya there.

It would be really be great if it drives to you and open the doors as well. Ha.