Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove a brand new loaner!!! (I didn't like driver assist)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right off the factory floor today. In fact it came right off the flatbed when I dropped my car off.

Mai have to say...I was NOT liking big brother there with me and the lane assist and speed assist!!!

Fir the first time in the history of loaners I was MORE than happy to give back their car and take my "old" car home!!!

Right off the factory floor today. In fact it came right off the flatbed when I dropped my car off.

Mai have to say...I was NOT liking big brother there with me and the lane assist and speed assist!!!

Fir the first time in the history of loaners I was MORE than happy to give back their car and take my "old" car home!!!

But your "old" car is connected via an AT&T 3G network connection, which feeds into Tesla's corporate data center where they do who knows what with it, and also which, no doubt, is piped right into the NSA as part of routine bulk collection of data as per the Snowden revelations, along with every other cellular connection in the U.S.

How are local sensors in the car, for lane assist and speed assist, bigger brother than that?

I dont like how high I now sit in the new seats and the steering wheel vibration (lane departure) is so annoying but you can turn that off. Other than that I love the new Model S, it's so much better than earlier VIN's but taste is subjective =)

Glad those features are optional. Lane departure & speed assist might be nice for longer road trips where the mind may wander. But daily commuting, "active" driving... would just be odd. But I'm looking forward to the other options that hardware might bring.

This will be a much bigger car than I'm used to, so I would mind some parallel park options while I'm getting adjusted to it's size :D

Interesting comments.

I too had a loaner for a day (500 miles actually). Lane departure was a very, very mild buzz, like going over a rumble strip: Bz Bz Bz. If you were actually changing lanes and used the signal, the buzz was not there. I could not say it was annoying, at all. Noticeable, yes. Barely. When in the truck lane, the rough highway surface was louder than the buzz.

As to the seats being higher. Really? You know, they are adjustable. I adjusted the loaner seats to exactly what I was used to in my "old" VIN 00064 car. No noticeable difference, and I have a bad back and am 6' 5".

On the loaner I had, there was no "speed assist". It displayed the speed limit accurately on the speed dial for about ten seconds, and then went back to "regularly scheduled programming". I chose to drive about ten mph over the limit. Did it do anything? Other than that the speed dial turned from blue to gray at 65 mph, to remind me of the speed limit, there was nothing.

I figured I could turn it off, but it was so innocuous, I couldn't find a reason to bother.

As far as "big brother", I drive with my wife, and she never bothers about my driving other than to tell me we are not in a race. Well, since she's with me, I guess "we" are, sometimes, but the dashboard assists were never on that level. I think Tesla has done a stellar job of figuring out the right levels here. I liked the tech. The car does not tell "big brother" what you are doing other than its normal job of recording everything, which would never be downloaded unless there were a glaring reason. Tesla doesn't care if you are doing ten over, or 50 over. The cop on the other side of the rise, with the radar gun, though, might.

I love the speed assist. It will save me from tickets, because it's so easy to get going stupid fast in this car in the blink of an eye.

Also love the lane departure warning. Is it really going off so frequently that it's annoying you? When mine goes off, it's because I'm legitimately starting to stray into the other lane or toward the shoulder. It could potentially save your life.

Yes, you can turn it off, but I don't understand why people think it gets in the way.

I test drove a car with those features and liked them. But seriously with the complaining, you can turn them off in two seconds.

I would love a self-parking feature as they've discussed. It's been available for 8 years in all sorts of brands and models. From the Lexus LS to the Ford Focus.

I've only had my girl for two months and I have all the new hardware. For lane assist, I have found it to be inaccurate about 25% of the time. It will vibrate when it sees the lines from crack fills on the pavement and often will not vibrate when I go over a line without a turn signal, which is rare for me, but does happen when I am lazy. So the result is that I can't trust it to truly warn me if I screw up. Being such a wide car, I like leaving of it on, as I am still getting used to her girth (a big boned girl). But I have begun to consider turning it off.

As far as speed assist, I love it. The car is so smooth and quiet that I often don't realize how fast I am going. So it's very handy. I set it for 5mph above the limit and it it works very well. I do find that it will occasionally get confused and show a lower speed than posted. But I have never seen it show a higher speed than posted. And I am quite impressed when it can surmise the speed limit when there are no speed limit signs around. I drive rural mountainous roads which don't always post the correct limit (annoying!). What I would really like is a speed limiter, so that I could set it to go no faster than X when needed. That would be great on the roads I drive.

On my test ride the car read a 45 MPH sign on an off ramp while I was on a 65 MPH section of the freeway. Minor, not even to the level of an annoyance. More of an "isn't that interesting". I purposely drifted toward the shoulder to feel the lane assist. As noted above it is about the same as a rumble strip, maybe a bit less.

Of course everything is new on a test ride. When mine shows up (next month, I hope) I'll see if it turns into an annoyance.

If you drift too far, will the car move you back onto the road or only give you a warning (like rumble strips) and actually allow you to go right off a cliff?

Also, will it brake for you to avoid a front end collision or just slow you down? In other words, if you are driving 30 mph and don't break at all with a car in front of you, will the collision be avoided by the car breaking itself and coming to a complete stop before a collision?

I had the lane assist in my BMW for 3 years now. It was on for a grand total 20 minutes highway drive - very annoying, it would vibrate whenever you drift out of precisely center of the lane - like if you want to pass a truck and shift a little to the edge of your lane, it will vibrate. Very annoying to me, so I switched off. On the contrary, blind spot monitoring was awesome, and one gizmo that I will sorely miss is the birds-eye view for parking. And is Tesla finally going to plot some predicted trajectory lines on their back-up camera for those of us who are directionally challenged?

These features could be like the self parking on my old LS.

Yes, it was a cool feature - letting the car drive into the parking spot without touching the steering wheel.

But...

Using the display to line up the box on the display to give the car the target in the parking spot took longer than parking the car normally.

So, the feature was only used a handful of times - to demonstrate to new passengers.

The lane detection and speed assist could be similar features - interesting - but something most owners will probably turn off.

The one feature that I miss from previous cars is the adaptive cruise control - which I think I would use frequently since my work commute is typically 45-60 minutes, depending upon traffic.

Lane assist is no good here.. snow covered roads, no lines to follow. I wonder what our Norge friends think of it?
Then use gravel and sand and salt to melt it. Makes a mucky mess, that cuts the reflectivity of lines down to practically nothing and obscures the visibility of lines. So there is little for a computer to follow. People drive by following the ruts of tires of all the previous traffic. The effect on the road of grinding gravel and sand into it all winter wears the lines off the road, and after a couple years they are routine repainted otherwise they would literally disappear.. which sometimes happens in places where they dont paint often enough. So in summer... still big gaps or nothing for a computer to follow for big spans of roadway... or lets put it this way: would you trust a computer to self drive you in this place? NEVER.

test drove a E250 bluetec was seriously considering before buying the S, and just asked the dealer to shut off lane departure for my drive... he agreed it has little use on our roads.

Last edited:
Ok. Maybe I should clarify a bit.

Lane assist. Here in the Seattle area where most people "think" everything is prosperous it's NOT the roads team is behind on the roads SO...when they move the lines they do a really crappy job of removing the old lines when putting the new lines in. So yesterday and the day before that poor steering wheel buzzed all day long and not because I was drifting towards the lines but because of how our roads are around here. Second I faithfully use my turn signal...but I noticed that when you use the European style turn signal which I use 99% of the time to just change lanes the steering wheel vibrated. (Every time) maybe it just wasn't enough time for it to sense who knows.

Speed assist...while yes I'm sure this 'could' save me from tickets what I found to be irritating what that here on our freeways there are two speed limits one for cars and one for trucks (semis) the stinking car chose the trucks and therefore every few minutes the steering wheel was buzzing.

Mother parking sensors..I DO have these on my car were a lot more sensitive but I'm not sure if it was because they had 21" wheels on the car or if they've just gotten so much more sensitive.

While yes I know you can turn many of these features off...I was kinda excited to get this car. When they told me I'd be able to use it and had a few other feature not available to the public yet. I was excited and figured I'd be bringing Rayne back and ordering up which I've been on the fence over however I couldn't put those keys back in services hand fast enough. What's the point of having extra features if I'm just going to leve then turned off? None!! I think in an ideal world they'd be great. I live in a rated world! :) and these are of course just MY opinions and I of course continue to love my MS that is now exactly 1 year old!!!