Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% down at 1pm today. They are towing us to Tejon. No info and no warning as they have been having issues for 24 hrs. A heads up would have been nice. My wife, mother in law and sister in law are stuck there waiting for a tow on their way to a funeral in Palm Springs. Very disappointing no warning on the website as they could have gone 101. Very pissed off!!

Wish I could laugh at that BB. The entire thing sucks as all they would need to do is put out some type of info on the website so we and others could reroute. Easily would have gone 101 if we knew ahead of time. Just really leaves a bad taste! And I dont think Im over-reacting.

100% down at 1pm today. They are towing us to Tejon. No info and no warning as they have been having issues for 24 hrs. A heads up would have been nice. My wife, mother in law and sister in law are stuck there waiting for a tow on their way to a funeral in Palm Springs. Very disappointing no warning on the website as they could have gone 101. Very pissed off!!
I understand your frustration, but would a warning on the website have made any difference? Do you make a habit of looking at the Tesla website before you drive somewhere via supercharger? I don't know anyone who does that.

I understand your frustration, but would a warning on the website have made any difference? Do you make a habit of looking at the Tesla website before you drive somewhere via supercharger? I don't know anyone who does that.

If only Tesla had some way to convey information to our cars, perhaps via radio waves and computers, so that in such an instance a message or warning might be displayed.

Nah, that's crazy, what am I thinking.

A lot of people probably do program the Supercharger as a nav destination, though. That's where the warning would be helpful, and perhaps with a different color pin to indicate a fault. Things to add to the wish list, I suppose.

This is a perfectly good example of why we need live SpC status on the 17 inch. I've long been in favor, but others have always challenged me saying there is little need/encourages the locals. I disagree and am citing this incident as an example.

This is a perfectly good example of why we need live SpC status on the 17 inch. I've long been in favor, but others have always challenged me saying there is little need/encourages the locals. I disagree and am citing this incident as an example.

Yeah, this has been my only fear of supercharger powered long trips. Real time status is simply needed. It is inevitable that the grid will be down somewhere at some point in time or some other issue with the charger.

I personnally plan on calling the Tesla Supercharger telephone # frequently on Monday. I suspect others will do the same during the heavy Thanksgiving travel week. That should "help" Tesla in making an online solution decsion more likely. The traffic flow between LA and SF during that week should be intensive.

Agree completely, this unfortunate situation (the other thread has a post saying Tesla says the problem is the electrical feed to the SC, not the SC itself) clearly illustrates the need for Tesla drivers to have real time SC info delivered to the car. We know that Tesla has the info, but it's not being pushed out to the cars.

... clearly illustrates the need for Tesla drivers to have real time SC info delivered to the car. We know that Tesla has the info, but it's not being pushed out to the cars.

Absolutely. The Supercharger dashboard in the Hawthorne Design Studio's lobby clearly shows each SpC's stall usage status in real-time; this has been available for several months now.

It's just sloppy that it hasn't been integrated into the car or atleast the mobile app via simple push notifications. Agreed that Tesla has a lot on their plate as always but, prioritizing something like calendar sync over this seems wonky.

Received an email from Cal Lankton Director of Global Infrastructure after I sent an email. His response was very apologetic and sympathetic. However it took my family 13 hrs to get from the Bay Area to Palm Springs so his apology is slightly hollow to me as it easily could have been prevented. Also discussed they are working on live SC update info etc. The thing that pisses me off the most is how they know we are dependent on the SC infrastructure(and yes I realize there are other ways to charge but if I plan on using a SC and its not operational without me knowing it then I couldn't have planned for other methods of charging) and yet they don't have the foresight to notify us that a SC on a main route is down. Send out a mass email at least. How hard is that or am I off the deep end here?

A lot of people probably do program the Supercharger as a nav destination, though. That's where the warning would be helpful, and perhaps with a different color pin to indicate a fault. Things to add to the wish list, I suppose.

This is an opportunity, one that from Tesla's corporate culture I'm pretty sure they will eventually get around to filling by software update, though I haven't read anything suggesting it is in work.

What they should have, and I think eventually will, is a MNav system that incorporates the EVPlanner energy required information, real time status of Superchargers, and current weather - so that given a driving speed (possibly pulled from the road speed limit and your chosen speed assist offset?) It can tell you how much energy you need at each supercharger and plan and guide to supercharger stops. With that info, when you plug in it could give your a time to finish your required charge for the next leg, too (and automatically set the end of charge limit, if desired, though I'm not sure that's useful.)

Taking it a step further, they could have an internal 'reservations' page at the Supercharger station - the strains would still be first come first serve of course, but this list would tell all the car's doing planning how many cars are expected to be there when they might arrive, and in areas where there are several options might allow leveling the load and minimizing the delay by choosing less loaded stations.

Tesla has all the information to do this, and the processing power required on the car side isn't that large - almost all the heavy lifting would be done server side anyway.

I can't imagine that Tesla lacks the vision to do this, so I'm expecting that it will show up eventually, probably in a few years.
Walter

Received an email from Cal Lankton Director of Global Infrastructure after I sent an email. His response was very apologetic and sympathetic. However it took my family 13 hrs to get from the Bay Area to Palm Springs so his apology is slightly hollow to me as it easily could have been prevented. Also discussed they are working on live SC update info etc. The thing that pisses me off the most is how they know we are dependent on the SC infrastructure(and yes I realize there are other ways to charge but if I plan on using a SC and its not operational without me knowing it then I couldn't have planned for other methods of charging) and yet they don't have the foresight to notify us that a SC on a main route is down. Send out a mass email at least. How hard is that or am I off the deep end here?

Did you say that Tesla paid for your tow to Tejon? If so, wow....

I can't think of a single car manufacturer, oil company or gas station owner that would do that for a stranded motorist. Especially if reports are true that the issue was on the grid side and not with the Superchargers.

Did you say that Tesla paid for your tow to Tejon? If so, wow....

I can't think of a single car manufacturer, oil company or gas station owner that would do that for a stranded motorist. Especially if reports are true that the issue was on the grid side and not with the Superchargers.

Disagree. If a gas station is down then an ICE can simply visit another one in the area. SpC are so few and far between that this is not possible. Teslas are dependent on the SpC network and they do need to be reliable. If there is a technical failure at a location, then owners need to be made aware.

Side note: if the issue was on the grid side then all of Harris Ranch should have been without power.