Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mullen_700e.png

Image Credit: Mullen Motor Company

.../ Original design by Pinafarina with enhancements by Porsche Design Studios. [sic(!)] /...

Source: Mullen 700e | Mullen Motor Company
Really... :rolleyes: I guess it wasn't designed by Pininfarina then... :biggrin:

Additional source:

Coda Sedan Gets Rebirth As Mullen 700e At 2014 LA Auto Show | InsideEVs

Coda (electric car) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Coda used the Saibao III body with different front and rear fascias.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] This variant is produced by Hafei and sold in China as the Saibao Electric Motor Car or Hafei Saibao EV.[SUP][1][/SUP]
[SUP]

Hafei Saibao EV: The First Chinese-made Car to Be Sold in the U.S.? | ChinaAutoWeb

The gasoline-powered Saibao, first in 2005, was originally designed by Italy’s Pininfarina and employed Mitsubishi’s chassis technology. The development of Saibao EV has been a joint effort of companies from both sides of the Pacific: Hafei Auto (now part of Chang’an/Chana Auto Group), Tianjin Qingyuan (a small EV company), Tianjin Lishen (battery maker), CODA Automotive, and
UQM Technologies (developer of EV powertrains).
hafeisaibaoev005.jpg

[/SUP]

Any news on this?

Mullen 700e | Mullen Motor Company is lacking in real info.

When going thru News | Mullen Motor Company, I found Mullen Technologies, Inc. has announced the final arrival of the initial line of the Mullen 700e All Electric Vehicles | Mullen Motor Company which says

Mullen opened the new USA Headquarters in July 2015 and plans to prepare over 1,000 vehicles per month into the American market by year end. The first 85 vehicles will be distributed to new dealers and franchisees in order to prepare the local markets for the new 2016 Mullen 700e which will be showcased at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November 2016. Mullen has also been exclusively importing the full line of Jonway Automotive low speed vehicles, which will also be processed in the new Benicia facility.
Emphasis added is mine.

Really? 1,000 per month that they plan to prepare? Do they really think they can move 1,000 a month of these in the US? Will it not go on sale until November 2016 or at some point earlier? Seems odd to not show it elsewhere earlier (e.g. Detroit auto show in January).

From Coda Automotive (formerly Miles Automotive Group) - Page 41, it seems like Coda only was able to sell about 100 vehicles in total. For reference, Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard is what use EV/PHEV monthly sales look like.

Last edited:
This is awesome!

I own a Coda, a 2013 actually.

The reality, and I'll get slack on this I'm sure, it is built very similar to the Tesla Roadster...

Here is why I say that:

GREAT drive-train, very torque heavy motor, solid controller, larger battery capacity (ie. better range than rest of market) and better charging (faster charging rate than rest of market). Now of course the Roadster is way quicker and also has better charging speed, however the Coda has a battery chemistry that will last longer than a Roadster and is safer (LiFePO4). The Coda does win in controller operation though; its smoother than the Roadster, regen is much more elegant, there is a short delay between releasing accelerator pedal and regen kicking in and there is also a dynamic regen which is different based on your speed, unlike the roadster when you release the accelerator on the highway the Coda doesn't make you feel like you are slamming on the brakes (jerky hwy driving experience when cruise-control isn't engaged in the Roadster), it coasts for a little bit and then gradually builds up regen, at slower speeds it kicks on stronger regen and brings you to a complete stop (similar to Roadster).

Now interior fit and finish; Roadster has so few things that it is hard to compare, Tesla didn't develop much of the interior, mostly it is Lotus, which is decent quality (not $100K car quality but decent). The Coda suffers here, the Saibao fit/finish quality in the interior is "Chinese", it is totally functional but very "plasticky" and somewhat cheap feeling. The radio/GPS is interestingly enough the exact same as the Roadster 2.5 (the Alpine double-din touchscreen) but the Coda integrates the telemetry into that unit vs the Roadster having a 2nd touchscreen elsewhere (Tesla provides WAY more content though, Coda only gives very basic information)...

The Coda is actually a really nice car if you are an EV guy like myself, it is built with solid EV components and has a better range than everything except the Teslas (100-120 miles range on Coda) but for FAR less money...

By the way, my review is based on owning both a Roadster and Coda! I am currently driving a Coda but I'm selling it and getting a Roadster again!!! (Note; this does not mean I think the Roadster is a better EV value, but I like/love sports cars and really want to be back in the Roadster, which is the ultimate EV sportscar still)

Anyways, don't be so hard on Coda, they are good cars (from an EV perspective), they just chose the wrong platform, they should have done the same thing as Tesla and used something "exotic" enough that people wouldn't recognize the "EV markup" (remember a Lotus Elise is only a $50K car brand new, so there was a $50K+ markup on the "EV analog", vs Haifei Saibao which is a $12K car marked up by $25K or less...), its a totally different market approach though...

- - - Updated - - -

Ultimate car to do the "Tesla approach" with is now the Lotus Evora, I believe it would make a hotter conversion than the Roadster was... Hoping Tesla Model R will be Evora-like!!!

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Mullen announces the availability for immediate sale of its 2012 and 2013 model 700e used car fleet | Mullen Technologies, Inc. - dated 10/26/15
Mullen Technologies, Inc. has announced a one-time special offer to the general public for a certified, pre-owned first generation all electric vehicle, the Mullen 700e Series sedan. This pre-owned vehicle comes standard with a certified warranty and service contract. The vehicles are subject to availability and can be financed with approved credit through Mullen Funding Corporation (MFC).
Weird.

I guess these are just leftover Codas or whatever they decided to complete assembly of from leftover Coda parts.

Last edited: