Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
passat GTE.jpg

Image credit: VW

.../ the Passat GTE [is] a plug-in hybrid based on the latest Passat which is able to return more than 141mpg, with CO2 emissions of less than 45g/km. /.../ the Passat /.../ powertrain [has] a 1.4-litre four-cylinder turbo producing 154bhp paired up to an electric motor and six-speed automatic gearbox /.../ producing a total of 215bhp /.../ That allows for 0-62mph in under eight seconds.

The system also allows /.../ around 31 miles on electric power, with a full charge taking about four hours. A quick charger is available, which can be installed at customers’ houses, and cuts the charging time to just over two hours. /.../ The Passat GTE will be available to order in the UK from June, with first deliveries set for October 2015.

Source: Volkswagen Passat GTE plug-in hybrid shown in Paris | Auto Express

Additional sources:

Volkswagen charges up new Passat GTE for the trip to Paris - Autoblog

VW Passat GTE plug-in hybrid makes 141 mpg | gizmag

(Will also be available as a sedan.) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Don't know why there's no effort to bring this and the Golf GTE to the U.S. They offer a viable alternative to the Volt for those who are afraid to go full-BEV.

I have a soft corner for the Passat as it was the first car that I owned - post-redesign to a modern look circa 1999 - and it served me well for many years.

I would be embarrassed to be an engineer working for VAG. By "141mpg" it seems they actually mean <40 miles per gallon since the article states it can go 620miles on a full 13.2 gallon tank + full battery.

maybe they mean "muppets per gallon" since it seems that would be the qualification for working in PR/marketing for them

The 141 mpg is based on the European NEDC "combined and weighted" test cycle which allows a fully charged battery to be depleted during the test thereby displacing gasoline use. You have to be wary about whether those are UK gallons which are about 20% bigger than US gallons.

The 2011 Volt gets 196 mpg (US) or 235 mpg (UK) on the same NEDC test and that was before they incrementally improved the battery size, inverter efficiency, and usable SOC range. If the 2015 Volt were tested it would probably get around 300 mpg.

Passat PHEV is slated for US introduction in sedan form - not the wagon, not with any drivetrain. Boooo. We will get CrossBlue with PHEV and TSI drivetrains instead. Boooo. I will be a little sad when Model 3 gets here and I will have to let go of my 2001 Passat GLX wagon. I'm sure the sadness will pass quickly once our household is completely electrically driven.

The 141 mpg is based on the European NEDC "combined and weighted" test cycle which allows a fully charged battery to be depleted during the test thereby displacing gasoline use. You have to be wary about whether those are UK gallons which are about 20% bigger than US gallons.

The 2011 Volt gets 196 mpg (US) or 235 mpg (UK) on the same NEDC test and that was before they incrementally improved the battery size, inverter efficiency, and usable SOC range. If the 2015 Volt were tested it would probably get around 300 mpg.

Over what distance do they do the test? 100km? Anyways, highly misleading. What should matter is how much more efficient is the car and under what conditions? Over 100km, over 200km over 300km?

Would the Model S have infinite mpg in the same NEDC test?