Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota 'Mirai' Fuel Cell Sedan

Toyota 'Mirai' Fuel Cell Sedan

Yesterday this pressrelease was put out by Toyota. I haven't seen it been discussed anywhere. Here's the link to the press release.

Toyota Ushers in the Future with Launch of Fuel Cell Sedan | TOYOTA Global Newsroom

It's being discussed in a couple other threads...

Basically Toyota has announced a slow, expensive, inefficient, and dangerous vehicle with no fueling infrastructure and are calling it the "future"

EVs are the real future, I don't expect the public to be willing to buy too many fool cells

I think the Toyota Mirai is a waste of R & D money. Fuel cell-based cars are not energy efficient, and you can't charge them directly from renewable sources like solar and wind systems.

In addition, Toyota and at least one other company are planning to use taxpayer dollars to build new hydrogen fueling stations in the northeast U.S., but I would much rather see those funds used for the construction of high-power EV charging stations like this Sun Country 100 Amp charger: EV Chargers - Item Search | Sun Country Highway.

1850 kg and 114 kW
    3 minute refuel with stations to be built in fy2016
    Over 600 km range by some Japanese standard
    400 will be built
    Fins on the rear

Snoozer

Did someone mentioned "butt-ugly"?

I'm really interested in the reason why Toyoto pursues this idea. Are they really that stupid or is there some kind of big idea behind all of this which everyone fails to understand, like H20 becoming a good way for energy storage in a (future) world where energy is abundant and storage technology has become alot cheaper through technology improvements?

I have a question. If the exhaust is water, what happens if all cars were FCV? Would the roads always be wet? No one would ever have a clean car because of the wet roads. Also, what about in freezing temperatures? Would the roads be icy even if it didn't rain or snow?

Also, what's the advantage to FCV, other than saving the environment? Not to belittle the importance of saving the environment, but I don't think the technology will sell just on that notion.
    60kWh, Grey, Pano Roof, Black Textile Seats, Piano Black Decor...no other options. Delivered 5/31/14 (Norristown, PA). Model X Res#13841
    Check out my 5-bedroom DisneyWorld vacation rental home: Orlando Florida Vacation Home Rental Near Disney (NEMA 14-50 coming soon)

Quote Originally Posted by gavine View Post
    I have a question. If the exhaust is water, what happens if all cars were FCV? Would the roads always be wet? No one would ever have a clean car because of the wet roads. Also, what about in freezing temperatures? Would the roads be icy even if it didn't rain or snow?
    If the water exaust would be a problem then it could simply be stored somewhere and maybe while they're at it they can make a watertap somewhere in the cabin so you can get rid of the water by drinking it

Quote Originally Posted by gavine View Post
    Also, what's the advantage to FCV, other than saving the environment? Not to belittle the importance of saving the environment, but I don't think the technology will sell just on that notion.
    There's still an electric motor used so you get all the advantages of an electric motor although the battery pack is alot smaller and can therefore provide less power to the electric motor I presume.

Model S VIN #5785
    Quote Originally Posted by ivog View Post
    If the water exaust would be a problem then it could simply be stored somewhere and maybe while they're at it they can make a watertap somewhere in the cabin so you can get rid of the water by drinking it
    "Mirai will be equipped with special H2O button to release the water – just in case you are thirsty or would like to show your friends how green the car is (sort of)."

Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell Sedan Priced At $57,500 - Specs, Videos
    Reservation #16,132; delivered on 3-2-2013; 85 kWh non-perf, blue/black leather/obeche gloss, tech, sound, air susp, parcel shelf

Blog Entries
    Here's an uncritical article on Ars Technica:

Honda and Toyota betting the time has come for fuel cells | Ars Technica
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blogs The Rules of Model S Road Tripping, Cold Weather Driving
    Moderator:
    Canada, Electric Vehicles, Europe, EVents, Media, Off Topic, Roadster, Site Feedback, and Tesla Motors sections. All postings are copyrighted.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information