Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Getting Charging Notifications On My iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swegman

Mar 27, 2012
After I received ver 6.0 for my car and installed the latest version of Tesla's app for the iPhone, I would receive notications on my iPhone 5S as to when charging started and stopped. When I replaced the phone with the iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.0.1, I continued to get said notifications. A few days ago, I update the iOS on the phone to 8.1. Now I no longer get charging start notifications or notifications that the charging has ended. Nor did I get any notifications when I connected to a Supercharger today.

Has anyone else lost notifications after updating to iOS8.1? I don't know whether there is a compatibilty issue with iOS8.1 and the Tesla app, or whether some setting got changed. Anyone know how the phone and app needs to be configured to get the notifications? I have the notifications options checked, but that doesnt appear to be enough.

Thanks

Hi Swegman,

I'm running 8.1 on a iPhone 6+, I do get some notifications but it has been sporadic, and I only seem to get about 30% of the notifications that I should. I've written it off to a back end issue on Tesla's side.

Peter

If the app isn't open in the foreground or running in the background, you won't receive notifications. Double-press the home button and scroll through your task switcher. If you don't see the Tesla app as you scroll back and forth through your open apps, then you won't receive notifications. To receive notifications when the app is in the background (not the foreground running app), you must enable Background App Refresh in your settings for the Tesla app.

I'm having the opposite problem. I'm on the other side of the continent and I started getting rapid fire "Charging Complete" notifications on my phone. Continuously every 15 to 30 seconds. I had to go in to the app and turn notifications off. I logged on to my power monitor on that circuit in my home and there has been no current flowing for days (I left the car plugged in with the slider at 60%). Not sure what would cause this all of a sudden.

I'm having the opposite problem. I'm on the other side of the continent and I started getting rapid fire "Charging Complete" notifications on my phone. Continuously every 15 to 30 seconds. I had to go in to the app and turn notifications off. I logged on to my power monitor on that circuit in my home and there has been no current flowing for days (I left the car plugged in with the slider at 60%). Not sure what would cause this all of a sudden.

If there are times inside the notification (not the time the phone receives them), check to see if they are old alerts (I've never received a notification--ever). If they are old, it means the notifications got stuck somewhere and the problem is now fixed.

The notification started working again today when I plugged in to charge, and again when the charge was completed. However, it wasnoted above that the app must be running in the background for the notifications to be received, and my app was NOT open.

If there are times inside the notification (not the time the phone receives them), check to see if they are old alerts (I've never received a notification--ever). If they are old, it means the notifications got stuck somewhere and the problem is now fixed.

The notifications have always worked flawlessly for me. Each night, I would get the app alert telling me that Charging was Complete, and if I happened to unplug at a public charger, I always got the Charging Interrupted message. Never missed a beat.

Last Tuesday, I flew to San Diego and left my car plugged in with the slider at 60% and about 72% SOC remaining. It seems that when the car eventually trickled down to 60%, I started getting rapid fire. "Charging Complete" notifications. The date/time of the notifications were current and they were not old alerts.

I have turned those notifications off in the app to avoid further occurrences.