Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Inventory Observations & Poll

Did you get a Model S service loaner?

• YES

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • NO

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joefee

May 29, 2011
WA
With the continued debate regarding the number of cars "in inventory" it seems that the availability of Tesla loaners is a good indicator of inventory status: Loads of cars = easy to get a Tesla Loaner. Today I brought my car in for its annual check up, and like last time, there were NO Tesla loaners available. I did not see any of the missing 12,000 cars in inventory anywhere on the San Diego service center property and NO inventory cars plugged into the bank of chargers in front of the building (where overflow inventory cars would need to be charged). Please post your experience with getting a Tesla Loaner October 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014. Also, let us know if you found the missing inventory!

Last edited:
With the continued debate regarding the number of cars "in inventory" it seems that the availability of Tesla loaners is a good indicator of inventory status: Loads of cars = easy to get a Tesla Loaner. Today I brought my car in for its annual check up, and like last time, there were NO Tesla loaners available. I did not see any of the missing 12,000 cars in inventory anywhere on the San Diego service center property and NO inventory cars plugged into the bank of chargers in front of the building (where overflow inventory cars would need to be charged). Please post your experience with getting a Tesla Loaner and if you found the missing inventory!

I've been holding off on minor service until I can get a loaner. I was scheduled for service around 11/5 /14 in Van Nuys and was promised a loaner but they called me the day before to tell me they were all sold. I heard there were 5 at the Centinela SC but who knows if they'll still be available on 11/25/14, which is when I'm currently scheduled.

With the continued debate regarding the number of cars "in inventory" it seems that the availability of Tesla loaners is a good indicator of inventory status: Loads of cars = easy to get a Tesla Loaner.

Possibly true but it's pretty loose to assume a direct correlation:

a) Cars available depends somewhat on geography. Here in FL they tend to get delivered in batches (which makes sense) whereas in California that may not be the case.
b) Availability of loaners also depends on how busy any given service center is at any point in time.

BTW, the poll has no time frame; the last time my car was in for service, we had a loaner but that was in September.

I charged at the Devon PA Service Center last weekend. This used to be a dealer lot (Toyota IIRC), so it's laid out like a dealership with a large lot. While most of it was empty or parked ICEs, there were 3 or more cars with new car stickers siting there on the lot. Maybe these were customer orders waiting to be delivered, but I doubt they would keep them outside, parked next to the road, especially in his weather.

So if these weren't customer cars, this will be the first time I've ever seen a "new" MS just sitting in inventory.