Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking Sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sunroof is leaking, and I've already had a tech come to my home and repair it. It so far has only occurred while going through a car wash, although I've only had the vehicle since mid-September and haven't had much opportunity to drive it in severe weather. During an email exchange with the service center, this was their response:

"The leaking from the seals happens when the car is taken through the car wash due to the design of the seals. It is generally recommended In the owners Manual that the car is not taken through the car wash. At this time there is no fix for this but I will create a concern so that if in the future they change the seals we can quickly have this taken care of for you."

I can't believe that Tesla's solution to this is to avoid automated carwashes. How do those of us in Northern climates wash our cars in the winter, and who has time to hand wash a car whenever it needs it? I've owned cars with sunroofs that cost a small fraction of this one, and the sunroofs never leaked, even after years of ownership.

Is anybody else having this problem? Were you able to resolve it, and if so, how?

I haven't had an issue with the sunroof, but the front few inches of my driver's side window leak when I take it through automated car washes. I haven't contacted Tesla about it yet, though. I'm sad to hear their response to you.

I had several leaks after going through a touchless car wash as well. These are design flaws. I'm not sure anything can be done about them. Even after Tesla reinforced the seals with silicone caulking, it still leaked. I don't have the problem when it rains (hard) or when I wash the car myself. Unfortunately, that means a dirty car for several months. Alternately, I can take it to my local hand wash car wash facility and let them swirl up the paint. No thanks.

No problems on mine at all across a number of different car washes. I did have some minor leaking at the small triangle window on the drivers door when the car was new, but they fixed that for me and it has been water-tight ever since.

I've also had problem since day 1 (Sept 2014) of my ownership. It was a rainy day when I take delivery of my car. At first it was ok but when I go downhill, drips of water drops on my shoulder. I took it back to Tesla Hong Kong and the SA seems no surprise and said oh ok ... we know about it and will try to fix it. They kinda of adjusted the seal and it leaks less but yes, there's a design flaw for sure and it's that area where 2 glass meets.

Tesla build quality really suck .... my driver's side chrome trip mis-align, plastic panels inside frunk poorly velcro. .....

Not a fan of their quality but it's the best EV car out there ..... so no choice

I did own a convertible and a smart roaster both of which have water leakage problems that cannot be fixed. So I have to keep them inside my car park during rainy weather. I now ordered a P85D, is there any leakage problems during rainy days since Hong Kong do have rainy season in spring & summer. I did not machine wash my car, but it will be very annoying to have water leakage during rainy days.

My sunroof is leaking, and I've already had a tech come to my home and repair it. It so far has only occurred while going through a car wash, although I've only had the vehicle since mid-September and haven't had much opportunity to drive it in severe weather. During an email exchange with the service center, this was their response:

"The leaking from the seals happens when the car is taken through the car wash due to the design of the seals. It is generally recommended In the owners Manual that the car is not taken through the car wash. At this time there is no fix for this but I will create a concern so that if in the future they change the seals we can quickly have this taken care of for you."

I can't believe that Tesla's solution to this is to avoid automated carwashes. How do those of us in Northern climates wash our cars in the winter, and who has time to hand wash a car whenever it needs it? I've owned cars with sunroofs that cost a small fraction of this one, and the sunroofs never leaked, even after years of ownership.

Is anybody else having this problem? Were you able to resolve it, and if so, how?

That is BS. Mine was fixed w/ no issues whatsoever or mentioning of carwash. Send your SA this link:

Wetspot / Leak

I just had an experience Today as it was heavy raining and I noticed few drops came right above me on the driver side. It wasn't much but this is concerning. I m planning to call Tesla. I still have warranty I think. My car is 2014 Model S. Any suggestion what I should do?