Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY trunk lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
Here is my version of a decent trunk light. I first tried some motion sensor lights that I attached to the sides, but I had to swap out those batteries every few days. So I finally took the little LED light that is in there and attached a second one to it. I found a nice looking one on Amazon Amazon.com: 2 pcs Set Waterproof Aluminum High Power 6W 6000K Xenon White Slim COB LED DRL Daylight Driving Daytime Running Light Lamp For Car SUV Sedan Coupe Vehicle: Automotive It's cheap and you get two so if you mess one up, you get a second chance :biggrin:

The light output is awesome. Almost too bright, but then, the trunk is large and dark. The really goo thing about this LED strip is that it's bendable and can be bent is a slight curve to match the surface inside. Hooked up to the small existing LED it gets switched on/off with it and that's exactly what you want. The little cable isn't the final design. I will re-route it a little nicer, maybe even drill a hole through the plastic and come from the back so it's all hidden.
light02.jpg
light01.jpg

You have to take the small LED light out, pull it apart and solder the new light to the small circuit board. If you are a familiar with electrical wiring and have a soldering iron, it's pretty simple. If not I don't think a DIY tutorial is helpful as it would probably lead to problems and broken parts.

I have installed 4 black 30cm led stripes, in the trunk and two in the frunk for better light.
Two under the rack and one inside each wheel house, so the large "well" on the left have good sight. ;-)
Used plug and play solution, only chrimp tool and pluggs.
Black mash on the called in the Frunk where the wire is shown in the far back, rest assebled with gidder wires.
No modification on the car electrical system, if you have led package, "jumper" cable connected between the exsisting led and the car so original led still working.
Will post pictures in some weeks when I am back from work, maybe I have some on my computer I can share.