Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ding Ding Ding goes my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice in the past day or so, and a few other times in the year+ I've had my MS, I've heard "ding ding ding" from the car. It's a very musical sound and is quite unlike any of the other sounds it normally makes. Have you heard this? Do you know what it means?

Do you have the parking sensors? I've heard ding ding ding sounds when driving down slowly from a parking lot to the street. It doesn't happen all of the time but usually when the angle is stepper than normal. I haven't compared it to when I park my car in my garage to see if it's the same sound but I'll test it out and update it here.

@romp: No, that's not it. The sound I'm describing is clearly not the rapid beep beep beep that is used for warnings like for pressing both pedals or opening the door before shifting to "P". The three sounds are substantially slower (maybe half the rate) and much more musical, like the simulated chime sounds heard on some other cars.

@rlang59: I'll try that. Perhaps my fob is being pressed as I enter or exit the car.

@Larry93535: I hope it's not static somehow causing an otherwise unused mode of operation. If it were, I'd worry about what else might be happening.

@Archer: This has happened while the car is stopped and nothing is moving near the bumpers to set off the parking sensors. Also, I didn't see the on-screen display that automatically shows the parking sensor readings.

I'll test rlang's idea and report back. Thanks.

Twice in the past day or so, and a few other times in the year+ I've had my MS, I've heard "ding ding ding" from the car. It's a very musical sound and is quite unlike any of the other sounds it normally makes. Have you heard this? Do you know what it means?

OK, not completely off topic, but I had a musical chime several times in my car, too.

Then I figured it out. I felt really dumb.

I had bought a battery wireless door chime thinking I might use it for pedestrians in parking lots as I was silently driving behind them. I tossed it in the car. Then I forgot it. Until my wife put some extra necessary water bottles in the center floor where the doorbell pushbutton was. Ding dong!

It took several times. But finally I remembered that I had tossed the chime part into the frunk thinking to test it some time.

Hey, it works, but it's not that important. I took it out and left it on the garage shelf.

This three 'chimes' thing happens to me occasionally. It only happens when I am exiting the car. It only seems to happen as I take my weight off of the seat as I exit. Passenger in the car or not makes no difference. Really strange... I have not noticed any messages on either display. I would love to find out what this is.

I have had the same thing only when exiting the car. Thanks for the tip about the fob. I'll check it. Just today I got out and it did it. I only had my fob and a small key chain in my pocket and typically, the top of the fob faces out in my pocket, with the keys in the little change pocket within my right front pants. I have been wondering what it was.