Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M67v

I just work here
Sep 2, 2014
Reading, PA
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Tesla fan and forever a Tesla fan (please refer to my account title and my signature). My favorite car in the whole world is the Tesla Model S. I don't talk bad about Tesla Motors.

BUT! But... I'm starting to question the production of the Model X, and the existence of Fast Pack Swapping at Tesla stations.

Ever since the unveil of the Model X, Tesla has never updated the Model X site. Here is the site: Model X | Tesla Motors . The only thing that changed is the estimated delivery date of the Model X. It went from early 2014, to late, 2014, early 2015, fall 2015, late 2015, and now it's at early 2016.
Capture II.PNG

This could mean the Model 3 can be delayed for even longer.

Same thing with the Fast Pack Swap. Ever since the Fast Pack Swap video Fast Pack Swap Event - YouTube I never heard about it again. The battery swap can be a big asset for the company and proving electric cars.

What do you guys think?

UPDATE:
The battery swap stations are happening. Also I know for sure Tesla is going to impress me in the end for the Model X. When it will happen is beyond me.

Last edited:
What do you guys think?

I think don't mix the two issues. Model X is coming, no reason whatsoever to doubt that. Swapping is coming too, but only a limited edition trial likely at Harris Ranch and likely in some sort of beta mode at first. It's my personal belief that the way they presented swapping at the event and then NOTHING for a year (and all the info is gone from teslamotors.com) has been a bit misleading and does not reflect well on Tesla. It has nothing to do with the coming of the X though.

and now it's at early 2016.

That's for new reservations. They are saying that they are sold out of Model X for 2015. This isn't surprising given that we are estimating somewhere around 20k reservations based on the data we have. Even if they expect to hit the ground running at a 30k/year run rate (which would be insane) that's only 7500 cars delivered in Q4 2015. Obviously if you reserve today it is going to be well into 2016 before you get your X.

My opinion on the delays in Model X and battery swap are well known on the forums by now, I think, so I won't rehash them here.

At least personally, once I have the X or S, the current Supercharger charging model works fine for me - the pack swap based on capability that I am aware of today (and given that it was widely available), isn't something that I view as a competitive advantage. Not saying that I can't be proven wrong, or that it can't be a competitive advantage for the company - just that I personally give it no value for my own ownership of the X or S when I get it.

To your observation about the changing dates - the initial delivery dates have clearly been sliding. The dates you're citing though, and their continued change, are a function of when Tesla believes that a NEW reservation would be delivered. Even given that initial delivery doesn't change again, you should expect the estimate for when a new reservation on X is delivered to continue to move out in time, as Tesla continues to take reservations.

For Model 3, this could well be 3 points (Roadster, S, now X) forms a pattern, and we extend that to Model 3, so yes, Model 3 will be late, and then later.

For Model 3, it could be that Tesla is finally well funded and resourced, and it's the car that everything else has been building to, and so the company puts a team to work early and funds it well, and makes a point of delivering Model 3 as soon as the economics work, if not even a little sooner (I figure early Model 3 deliveries will be well optioned, well appointed cars, and priced in the 50-70k range, with later variants getting down to $35k).

The only real takeaway is we're all just making stuff up and guessing about the future.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Tesla fan and forever a Tesla fan (please refer to my account title and my signature). My favorite car in the whole world is the Tesla Model S. I don't talk bad about Tesla Motors.

BUT! But... I'm starting to question the production of the Model X, and the existence of Fast Pack Swapping at Tesla stations.

Ever since the unveil of the Model X, Tesla has never updated the Model X site. Here is the site: Model X | Tesla Motors . The only thing that changed is the estimated delivery date of the Model X. It went from early 2014, to late, 2014, early 2015, fall 2015, late 2015, and now it's at early 2016.
View attachment 63933
This could mean the Model 3 can be delayed for even longer.

Same thing with the Fast Pack Swap. Ever since the Fast Pack Swap video Fast Pack Swap Event - YouTube I never heard about it again. The battery swap can be a big asset for the company and proving electric cars.

What do you guys think?

UPDATE:
The battery swap stations are happening. Also I know for sure Tesla is going to impress me in the end for the Model X. When it will happen is beyond me.
Believing as you do you should sell short. Good luck

I still think we'll see it by the time the Detroit Auto Show opens on January 12, because it would make no sense for Tesla to go there without it.

To further elaborate, I predict an event at the Fremont plant the week of January 5 to unveil it away from the crowds of the auto show. At this point they are too busy trying to deliver as many P85Ds before the end of the year as possible, but once the new year hits things will calm down considerably and they can then turn their attention to the Model X. The "D" event was right after the start of the quarter, so it would make sense for an "X" event to follow the same timing.

Last edited:
For Model 3, this could well be 3 points (Roadster, S, now X) forms a pattern, and we extend that to Model 3, so yes, Model 3 will be late, and then later.
~*sigh*~

It truly amazes me how often even Tesla Enthusiasts keep saying this. It is one thing to be pragmatic. It is one thing to be realistic. It is one thing to even be pessimistic. But there is a certain point where one may cross the line to being a Naysayer.

Tesla Motors goal from the outset has been to release their Generation III vehicles. Everything they have done to this point has been to create the environment, establish the supply chain, build the capacity, expand the infrastructure, and examine the markets that will allow for a successful launch of Model ☰.

I am certain that Tesla Motors designers and engineers have not been sitting on their hands since January 2012. The Model X will be, as promised, far better in final form than has been anticipated thus far.

Similarly, everything that Tesla Motors has learned from Generation I (Tesla Roadster), and Generation II (Model S, Model X) will prepare the company to rollout Model ☰ without a hitch.

Is it too much to ask, that we have some faith, some hopefulness, some emotion, just a little bit of positive energy that allows for the possibility, despite evidence to the contrary, that Tesla Motors will have their act together to deliver Model ☰ to its first Customers during 2017?

~*sigh*~

It truly amazes me how often even Tesla Enthusiasts keep saying this. It is one thing to be pragmatic. It is one thing to be realistic. It is one thing to even be pessimistic. But there is a certain point where one may cross the line to being a Naysayer.

Tesla Motors goal from the outset has been to release their Generation III vehicles. Everything they have done to this point has been to create the environment, establish the supply chain, build the capacity, expand the infrastructure, and examine the markets that will allow for a successful launch of Model ☰.

I am certain that Tesla Motors designers and engineers have not been sitting on their hands since January 2012. The Model X will be, as promised, far better in final form than has been anticipated thus far.

Similarly, everything that Tesla Motors has learned from Generation I (Tesla Roadster), and Generation II (Model S, Model X) will prepare the company to rollout Model ☰ without a hitch.

Is it too much to ask, that we have some faith, some hopefulness, some emotion, just a little bit of positive energy that allows for the possibility, despite evidence to the contrary, that Tesla Motors will have their act together to deliver Model ☰ to its first Customers during 2017?
I agree with what you are saying, it would be nice if they could send out an update on where things are at. This would also stop most of the speculation. Something like "Thank you for being a Model X reservation holder and we are currently refining the production vehicle and hope to have something for you to see in the next few months, blah blah. Can change the verbiage to what ever you want just tell us something.

I agree with what you are saying, it would be nice if they could send out an update on where things are at. This would also stop most of the speculation. Something like "Thank you for being a Model X reservation holder and we are currently refining the production vehicle and hope to have something for you to see in the next few months, blah blah. Can change the verbiage to what ever you want just tell us something.

You mean keep the public informed, just like GM, Ford, and Chrysler, and Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, etc. etc. etc.? They're a car company. They don't do informing the public. Even though it would be nice if they wrote you a personal email.

I'm not the public, I have ordered a Model X and would like to know how and when I might get delivery of my order.

you have actually not ordered a model X but you reserved one. there is a distinction. a reservation is less formal or binding than an order and therefore you are less likley to get any release updates. you have however, put money down to help the company move forwards to finally produce your vehicle so you could expect something more than a stone wall when it comes to info, but not much since your money is 100% refundable until you ACTUALLY do order it at a later date..... It will be amazing so just hang in there and wait with the rest of us... :)

Assuming you're not being sarcastic (and I can't tell) then for me: "YES" -- it is way too much to ask to have faith and emotion over reason and evidence. I just don't see any way Tesla can deliver the Model 3 two years from now with the battery factory barely started and the backlog for batteries with the Model S reservations and soon to be Model X (of which there are currently over 20k!).

It is better for Tesla not to communicate too much about what is when to be released. That would only accelerate competitors programs. Let them go about business as usual without heated exchanges at board and management levels.