Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Update Email 11/18/2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Just received, emphasis mine

Dear Model X reservation holders,

Thank you for your continued patience in the Model X reservation process. We are making steady progress towards delivering a phenomenal car that defies comparison.

With Model S, we made a point of delivering a product that was even better than the show car, and we are extending that philosophy to Model X. In fact, every element of Model X – from the interior to the falcon wing doors – either lives up to or surpasses the prototype we initially unveiled.

In October, we announced dual motor all-wheel drive and Autopilot. These were important leaps forward for Model S, but we’re pleased to confirm that they will also be central to Model X. The dual motor propulsion system of Model S 85D will be the same system that powers Model X, delivering uncompromised range and control of traction. But this is not simply a scaled-up Model S – every detail of this car has been optimized for the unique mission of Model X.

Model X demand has been intense and orders are continuing to come in at a rapid rate. We’ll be spending much of 2015 building and testing production-intent prototypes before delivering the first cars to customers in North America in the third quarter. While we’ll be working through all orders as fast as possible, anyone ordering the car today should not expect delivery until well into 2016.

In the meantime, we are building beta vehicles in the factory right now, and we’ll be using them for crash testing in the near future. We’ve tested the car’s aerodynamic qualities in the wind tunnel and have achieved an unprecedented level of aerodynamic efficiency for any car of this size and carrying capacity, allowing us to maximize range potential.

We can also reveal that Model X will be the first electric vehicle with towing capability. The optional tow hitch will support accessories and racks to transport skis and bikes with the minimum effect on aerodynamics. We're also working with the best rack and accessory companies in the world to have elegant carrying solutions ready for Model X customers next year.

Thank you once again for your continued support and confidence. You are helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable transport, and you will love your Model X.

Tesla Motors

And though I didn't bold it, they also mention at the end that they're still working on a rack solution (for those worried about the doors -- of which there was no mention).

Not much new there, but glad to have the communication.

Initial takeaways from this email:

1. Falcon wing doors aren't going anywhere.
2. No roof-rack solution will be available, but hitch-mounted storage will be used instead.

I'm glad they finally got something out to address Model X directly. Too bad they didn't give a hint as to when they'll be ready to show the beta.

Interesting that it appears that Tesla won't be offering the P85D equivalent Model X, just the 85D drivetrain. That will leave the Porsche Cayenne S/GTS/Turbo as the fastest SUV in the market. An "XP85D" would leave them all behind.

The tow-instead-of-roof approach makes a lot of sense. (a) It solves the problem of how both falcon doors can be open at the same time; (b) it creates less drag than roof-mounted gear; (c) it's easier to access; the Model X is a tall vehicle; and (d) no risk of shearing your bicycles off when you drive into your garage without realizing they're up there!

I think that 60kWh and PD versions of the X are ruled out by this communique. Although there's just enough ambiguity that I can't be sure.

But we can continue to speculate about a 1nn kWh battery pack option. :biggrin:

2. No roof-rack solution will be available, but hitch-mounted storage will be used instead.

I took this part of the email to mean they WERE working on a rack solution:

We're also working with the best rack and accessory companies in the world to have elegant carrying solutions ready for Model X customers next year.

'The dual motor system of the 85D'

Is this their way of saying no 60 pack for the X???

They said of the Model S 85D -- which is right since there's no 60D on the Model S. I won't write off the possibility of there being no 60 pack on the X (though I think it's unlikely it'll be a 85 car only -- they'd have to bring out something above it IMO), but I think if there's a 60, there'll have to be a 60D on the X since it's touted as being standard.

I think that 60kWh and PD versions of the X are ruled out by this communique. Although there's just enough ambiguity that I can't be sure.

But we can continue to speculate about a 1nn kWh battery pack option. :biggrin:

I agree about the 60, but no performance? That seems like crazy talk to me. It's their biggest money maker. Also, not including it would contradict the earlier statement from the same email that the production car will 'live up to or surpass the prototype we initially unveiled.' There's either a P variant, or the standard will be faster than a 911. Which do you think is more likely?

Sorry, finally lost optimism after the massive delay and took this email into blabla-decrypter:

"We won't show you the beta this year!"

and

"Only signature reservation holders may eventually get their car in late 2015!"

Last edited:
Interesting that it appears that Tesla won't be offering the P85D equivalent Model X, just the 85D drivetrain. That will leave the Porsche Cayenne S/GTS/Turbo as the fastest SUV in the market. An "XP85D" would leave them all behind.

C'mon, we all know that Elon is a bit of a showman at heart. He wouldn't want to take away from the big reveal of the XP85D at the roll out exhibition. Look at what he just did with the "D" rollout. He'll have a similar setup to what he did there and at the initial "S" roll out. He'll have a bunch of cars and drivers to ferry customers around the track and he'll get to say that the Model X Performance with dual motors will do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds or whatever it will do. He'll get to show off all the special features they've come up with in the last two years since the initial reveal.

You just know it's going to happen.

Doesn't the website make it clear that they will offer a Performance X with Dual Motors? Model X | Tesla Motors as well as say the 60 kWh battery will be an option? I know Tesla can change their mind at anytime, but until they make changes to the bottom of the Model X detail page, I'm assuming that they will have the options available.

That being said, the version I'd go for would be the Performance X with Dual Motors and an 85kWh (Or larger battery).

Right, which is what leads me to conclude there won't be a 60X: adding configuration complexity back into the recently streamlined assembly process would be counterproductive.

There's not really much complexity there since the X will be AWD only. It wouldn't be too much to say S60 for RWD, X60D for AWD. The real reason not to offer an X60D would be if the X's price premium over the S is very high.

The towing thing actually has me wondering. I presume they mention the skis and bicycles to say "yes, we know the falcon doors mean you can't put them on the roof so we've designed an alternative". Maybe they're saving the tow rating for the reveal.

Last edited:
I viewed today's email as a positive. I appreciate Tesla reaching out to the reservation holders, giving a status and ending the conjecture that the Falcon Door are gone. The email says the S85D drive will be "central" to the X. I would interpret as "Standard". We will have to wait and see if the P85D makes sense for the Model X -- it depends on the additional weight and height handling dynamics. Recognizing the prior announcement of the dual motor only available in the 85KW configuration, it already seemed unlikely that the 60KW AWD would be part of the X.

Thanks TESLA for sending some real information. I was tiring of speculation, rumor, and inaccuracies on the forums and in the media. GREAT that Tesla provided some accuracy and information. I am grateful that crash testing the Beta's is paramount to the production of the Model X. I would prefer TELSA Crash test the Beta's rather than me--maintaining the TESLA safety record.

Although it was a little late coming --- Glad Tesla stepped up the communications. Hope they continue the "throw us a bone" ever so often.

Has anyone noticed the incredible thinness of the falcon wing doors in the email versus on the website. It seems they been dramatically thinned down. I for one am excited to compare when we see the full production compared to the prototype. The original is going to look so OLD!

imagejpeg

imagepng