Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FS: Tesla Model S 3rd Row Seat - SOLD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FS: Tesla Model S 3rd Row Seat

FS: Tesla Model S 3rd Row Seat $1750

Recently bought a used Model S that was built in 12/2013. It has the 3rd row seat which I don't need. I had it removed when I recently had winter wheels/tires installed. My preference would be a local buyer but I will ship if buyer pays shipping cost.

List Date: 11/18/2014

For more info, click here to view the original listing: FS: Tesla Model S 3rd Row Seat
--------------------------------------
SOLD

browseformore.png
--------------------------------------
tesla-motors-club.gif

Last edited:
not correct

No SC will install a used seat.

Not sure where you got this information. When I had my Model S at the SC last week and asked them to remove the 3rd row seat they said they had another customer's car in for service that may be interested in it. They offered to install it in his car if he was. So, YMMV, check your local service center. I also know (and assumed most others do) that to install the 3rd row seat after the fact you need to have an early production car that has the necessary equipment to support it.

Not sure where you got this information. When I had my Model S at the SC last week and asked them to remove the 3rd row seat they said they had another customer's car in for service that may be interested in it. They offered to install it in his car if he was. So, YMMV, check your local service center. I also know (and assumed most others do) that to install the 3rd row seat after the fact you need to have an early production car that has the necessary equipment to support it.

It requires the additional rear bumper protection, which all cars up to VIN ~5500 have. Very small market. If your SC had a qualifying car owned by someone who was interested, I'd sell it for $500 and consider myself lucky.

Wow I didn't know that - so the $2500 isn't just the seat + installation, it's bumper protection too. Good to know.

I don't think SC can/will add the additional rear bumper protection necessary for any car that doesn't already have it. They can tell by searching the VIN. That's why third row seat is not an after delivery option on the Tesla's website. It's also the reason for Andrew's comment above.

I don't think SC can/will add the additional rear bumper protection necessary for any car that doesn't already have it. They can tell by searching the VIN. That's why third row seat is not an after delivery option on the Tesla's website. It's also the reason for Andrew's comment above.
I was told it is installable after delivery for an additional $500 by the local Tesla sales rep.

Madartist,

Does that mean to move the seats from on car to another, you would need more than just the seats and the hatch switch? Are the latches just bolt in?

Peter

Peter,

The latches to which the seats hooks into when upright are soldered directly to the body of the car inside the trunk. I asked the SC to cut off the latches when our third row seats were removed because I felt that they will only get in the way if we are not using them.

Steve

Last edited:
I have an early VIN, and may be interested in messing around with it. Does the SC center have to install it, or can you DIY? My 6 year old could ride back there on occasion, but we don't have any problem with her in the back seat for now, and I'm not really interested in throwing any more money at the car - especially not service costs.

Peter,

The latches to which the seats hooks into when upright are soldered directly to the body of the car inside the trunk. I asked the SC to cut off the latches when our third row seats were removed because I felt that they will only get in the way if we are not using them.

Not in my car... I sold my rear seats and those two latches/hoops were just bolted on and very easy to remove and give to the buyer. My P85+ VIN is 15XXX.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind when doing a seat swap.. if you have both the donor and recipient cars during the swap. First, the two main bolts that hold the seats on are bolted into a capture nut pictured below. These two nuts slide in a guideway behind the body/frame. They just slide left/right in the guideway, but are tricky to remove using the small holes next to them (you need small fingers to get them out). Once the main bolts and seats are removed, be sure to remove both of these nuts since (a) the seat buyer will need them, and (b) if you don't they can slide out and fall down into the body of the car and are impossible to retrieve (ask me how I know).

photo (Medium).JPG

Second, the rear carpet pieces will have those two bolt areas cut open once the seats are removed. If you have the buyer's car available, you can swap the rear carpet sections, since the buyer's car likely won't have these cutouts and the donor does. They're all black and exactly the same, so you can just swap them out. Same goes for the carpet areas where the side latches/hoops are mounted, you can swap those too. Makes the donor car look A LOT better without those open areas in the carpet.

Finally, there's also a latch area on the back of the 2nd row seats where the 3rd row latches onto and locks. I'm not sure if all cars have this latch. I'm not sure how the buyer of my seats solved this problem, but it's another thing to look out for when selling/buying the rear seats.

Not in my car... I sold my rear seats and those two latches/hoops were just bolted on and very easy to remove and give to the buyer. My P85+ VIN is 15XXX.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind when doing a seat swap.. if you have both the donor and recipient cars during the swap. First, the two main bolts that hold the seats on are bolted into a capture nut pictured below. These two nuts slide in a guideway behind the body/frame. They just slide left/right in the guideway, but are tricky to remove using the small holes next to them (you need small fingers to get them out). Once the main bolts and seats are removed, be sure to remove both of these nuts since (a) the seat buyer will need them, and (b) if you don't they can slide out and fall down into the body of the car and are impossible to retrieve (ask me how I know).

View attachment 64970

Second, the rear carpet pieces will have those two bolt areas cut open once the seats are removed. If you have the buyer's car available, you can swap the rear carpet sections, since the buyer's car likely won't have these cutouts and the donor does. They're all black and exactly the same, so you can just swap them out. Same goes for the carpet areas where the side latches/hoops are mounted, you can swap those too. Makes the donor car look A LOT better without those open areas in the carpet.

Finally, there's also a latch area on the back of the 2nd row seats where the 3rd row latches onto and locks. I'm not sure if all cars have this latch. I'm not sure how the buyer of my seats solved this problem, but it's another thing to look out for when selling/buying the rear seats.
You got me all excited that I might have been able to borrow my brother's third row seats but I don't have the latches on the back of the second row. :(

You got me all excited that I might have been able to borrow my brother's third row seats but I don't have the latches on the back of the second row. :(

Ask your service center if they can install the rear latch. I think my buyer said something about the bracket already being part (inside) of the 2nd row of seats.. but I don't really remember what he said or how he solved that problem. He owns a auto-repair shop, so it's possible he fabricated it.