Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any issues with crated dog in hatch area, and should pictured crate fit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I don't think there should be any problem with travelling with my dog crated in the hatch area (naturally I will not leave her in the car unattended), but I wanted to check with other forum members, in case there may be something I'm not thinking of. I know about the alarm issues, but could I be missing some other reason that having her in a crate in the hatch area would be a bad idea?

Also would there any issues with the pictured crate fitting back there? The dimensions are approximately 22 inches in height by 21 inches in width by 28 inches in depth. Would it fit beneath the parcel shelf? And if not, is the parcel shelf easy to temporarily remove and just lay on the floor in the hatch area, or on the floor in the back seat?

The alternative is what I do now in my Acura, which is put a blanket on the back seat and ride with the crate on the back seat. It just seems the hatch area would make more sense in the Tesla.

Thanks for any input and advice.

Attachments

• Crate.jpg
    Crate.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 416
You will need to remove parcel shelf but it will fit fine. When there's five of us in the car for a road trip, I have the same one for my dog and he's fine in there. If it's hot out, make sure he gets air since the air conditioning isn't great in the far back of the car.

You will need to remove parcel shelf but it will fit fine. When there's five of us in the car for a road trip, I have the same one for my dog and he's fine in there. If it's hot out, make sure he gets air since the air conditioning isn't great in the far back of the car.

Thanks! That's a good point about the air conditioning. When she's just in the back seat, right behind me, I don't think much about the temperature, because I like it nice and cool, so I know she is fine, but being further away from me, and now knowing that the Tesla doesn't do a great job of cooling that area, I'll have to really be careful.

How easy is it to remove the parcel shelf? My wife drives a Subaru Forester with a similar parcel shelf (at least I imagine it is similar) and when we put the crate back there we just lift the shelf out of the grooves it fits into, and then put it back in when we're done. It takes, literally, perhaps ten seconds to remove it and ten to fifteen seconds to replace it. Is it going to be that easy with the Tesla's shelf?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
How easy is it to remove the parcel shelf? My wife drives a Subaru Forester with a similar parcel shelf (at least I imagine it is similar) and when we put the crate back there we just lift the shelf out of the grooves it fits into, and then put it back in when we're done. It takes, literally, perhaps ten seconds to remove it and ten to fifteen seconds to replace it. Is it going to be that easy with the Tesla's shelf?

Thanks again?

The parcel shelf lifts out easily when you line up the dogs (you'll pardon the expression) on the shelf with the gaps in the track it rests on.

Andy, that is good advice from canuck and Steve; we carry cats back there just as you asked.
Remember sensitive ears and that the "High Fidelity Sound" is much louder back there.
~Larry

Thanks. I may not have thought of the sound issue. I would imagine I should be able to adjust that and have most of the volume coming from the front, to avoid any problems. Thanks for making me think of it!