Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Charging Station miles per hour rates in NY area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the JFK station I was charging recently and I was the only one charging at the time and got 300 miles per hour. Then I was at the Syosset super station and they have four stalls. I was the fouth and last one to hook up and could only max at 125 per hour. When someone in the first stall unhooked i waited about 10 minutes and disconnected from the last stall and reconnected to the first stall and pretty quickly got up to 250 miles per hour.
Can someone explain why? I really have no idea.
Thanks
Rich

At the JFK station I was charging recently and I was the only one charging at the time and got 300 miles per hour. Then I was at the Syosset super station and they have four stalls. I was the fouth and last one to hook up and could only max at 125 per hour. When someone in the first stall unhooked i waited about 10 minutes and disconnected from the last stall and reconnected to the first stall and pretty quickly got up to 250 miles per hour.
Can someone explain why? I really have no idea.
Thanks
Rich

Every Supercharger feeds two stalls, usually labeled A and B. First person to one of the two stalls gets max charging rate and the second person gets what's leftover. So if someone is on 1A, try to avoid 1B. If someone is on 2B, avoid 2A. Etc.

Also remember mph display is average over a charging session, not instantaneous. It would be more helpful in asking questions (and thinking about it yourself) if you reported kW rather than mph. The kW display (which you can toggle in settings) is instantaneous. Or if you keep the mph display you can calculate kW by multiplying the volts x amps displayed-- those ate instantaneous values also.