Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-10 — Along the Gulf Coast — A Causeway Connecting the Island of Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cottonwood

Roadster#433, Model S#S37
Feb 27, 2009
Colorado
This is a thread for keeping together the info on another developing route: The Causeway off the Island of Texas, I-10 along the Gulf Coast.

The info here is a summary of other threads around TMC. Please add corrections, info, and thoughts on this important route.

SUPERCHARGERDESTINATIONMILESSTATION STATUSCOMMENT
Columbus, TXLake City, FL898 Causeway to fill as of Nov 17th - Detailed Google Map
Columbus, TXBaytown, TX93Complete Start
Baytown, TX Lake Charles, LA 122 Speculation Need something near here to fill gap between Columbus and Lake Charles
Lake Charles, LA Baton Rouge, LA 131 Under Construction Supercharger - Lake Charles, LA
Baton Rouge, LA Slidell, LA 87 Permit Supercharger - Baton Rouge, LA
Slidell, LA Mobile, AL 103 Speculation Need something near here to fill gap between Baton Rouge and Mobile
Mobile, AL DeFuniak Springs, FL 138 Pre-permit Reliable Source — NEXT UP: Supercharger Network in SOUTHEAST - I-85
DeFuniak Springs, FL Tallahassee, FL 121 Permit Supercharger - Defuniak Springs FL
Tallahassee, FL Lake City, FL 104 Speculation Dot on Tesla Map
Lake City, FL Complete Finish

Last edited:
I'll just bump this with a comment that no permits or meetings were showing for Baytown TX as of yesterday. A SC could end up being in Beaumont or Winnie or Mont Belvieu, but Baytown is the mid-spot that was mentioned by the Tesla employee who paid for the Lake Charles permit.

I'll just bump this with a comment that no permits or meetings were showing for Baytown TX as of yesterday. A SC could end up being in Beaumont or Winnie or Mont Belvieu, but Baytown is the mid-spot that was mentioned by the Tesla employee who paid for the Lake Charles permit.

With 215 miles between Columbus and Lake Charles, an intermediate Supercharger is needed somewhere in between; the question is where. Baytown seems like a reasonable choice, but it would be great to have some confirmation, and even better to see some construction.

Thanks for the continued research!

I'm fairly certain it will be Mobile, AL then Slidell, LA then Baton Rouge, LA then Lake Charles, LA for the I-10 corridor along the Gulf Coast.

Nothing in Slidell yet. Baton Rouge is permitted and will start construction in the next week. Lake Charles is nearly done and waiting on the utility company.

Mike

Tesla's new "coming soon" map shows this route complete except for something near Baytown, TX and Tallahassee, FL. Getting off of the Texas Island via this causeway may require some wading on L2 chargers in Houston and Tallahassee for a good part of 2015.

The 2015 map still does not show anything east of Houston. I hope that Tesla figures out how important it is to fill this Houston void during 2015.

Tesla's new "coming soon" map shows this route complete except for something near Baytown, TX and Tallahassee, FL. Getting off of the Texas Island via this causeway may require some wading on L2 chargers in Houston and Tallahassee for a good part of 2015.

The 2015 map still does not show anything east of Houston. I hope that Tesla figures out how important it is to fill this Houston void during 2015.
+1 The lack of a supercharger east of Houston on the 2015 map is a major disappointment. The large concentrations of Teslas in the Austin/San Antonio and Dallas/Ft. Worth areas still won't have a supercharger route heading east on I-10, whether it's to the popular destinations of Louisiana or the Florida Gulf Coast. Stopping for level 2 charge in Houston would work for the 85's, but it would be tight for the 60's-- it's 150 miles from the Houston Galleria (where the Tesla gallery is) to Lake Charles, on a highway where the speed limit is 75mph for much of the route.

Edit- I see on Plugshare there is a Chademo in Baytown (NRG eVgo). When the Chademo adapter is released, and if it's compatable with the NRG eVgo stations, and if those stations are reliable, that may be a temporary option for the route.

Last edited:
Not really on topic, but there is also a similar hole in the projected 2015 I-10 route in San Antonio. To have any chance of making an all-Supercharger route, one would have to cut across 190 mi. from Sonora, TX to San Marcos (if you get off the interstate -- 215 miles if you stay on.) Driving slowly, especially when the speed limit on part of this segment is 80 mph, may not be entirely safe.

Not really on topic, but there is also a similar hole in the projected 2015 I-10 route in San Antonio. To have any chance of making an all-Supercharger route, one would have to cut across 190 mi. from Sonora, TX to San Marcos (if you get off the interstate -- 215 miles if you stay on.) Driving slowly, especially when the speed limit on part of this segment is 80 mph, may not be entirely safe.
True, but I-10 west of San Antonio doesn't have anywhere near the traffic that it does heading east to Houston, New Orleans, and onwards to Florida. When prioritizing routes to complete first, I-10 east of San Antonio is much more important than heading west.

True, but I-10 west of San Antonio doesn't have anywhere near the traffic that it does heading east to Houston, New Orleans, and onwards to Florida. When prioritizing routes to complete first, I-10 east of San Antonio is much more important than heading west.

Yeah. I-10 West of SAT is one of the most desolate roads in the State, with only 5K vehicles a day. SAT/HOU is 10 times that.

San Antonio is the second largest city in Texas and the 7th largest city in the US. If I'm driving to California, that's the preferred route.

The amount of traffic on a route is important to the number of stalls at the supercharger, not whether there should be one. If the route west from SA isn't important, why put the other 5 superchargers on I-10 in that direction?

I was just pointing out that SA is another situation similar to the one east of Houston. If you are leaving from the city itself, the superchargers are adequate. But passing through the city, trying to drive from one supercharger to another, they are not close enough together. For example, driving through DFW from Waco to Denton will be 86 miles -- wonderful. Contrast that to Columbus to Lake Charles at 214 miles and Sonora to San Marcos at about 200 miles (and probably requires driving on smaller roads).

If you are leaving from the city itself, the superchargers are adequate. But passing through the city, trying to drive from one supercharger to another, they are not close enough together. For example, driving through DFW from Waco to Denton will be 86 miles -- wonderful. Contrast that to Columbus to Lake Charles at 214 miles and Sonora to San Marcos at about 200 miles (and probably requires driving on smaller roads).
Bingo! Cut and Print. The size of the population does not matter (unless most of that population can't home-charge, like London or NYC), but the SC spacing for travel through/around a city certainly does.

San Antonio is the second largest city in Texas and the 7th largest city in the US. If I'm driving to California, that's the preferred route.

The amount of traffic on a route is important to the number of stalls at the supercharger, not whether there should be one. If the route west from SA isn't important, why put the other 5 superchargers on I-10 in that direction?

I was just pointing out that SA is another situation similar to the one east of Houston. If you are leaving from the city itself, the superchargers are adequate. But passing through the city, trying to drive from one supercharger to another, they are not close enough together. For example, driving through DFW from Waco to Denton will be 86 miles -- wonderful. Contrast that to Columbus to Lake Charles at 214 miles and Sonora to San Marcos at about 200 miles (and probably requires driving on smaller roads).
No one is saying there shouldn't be one. I'd like one too, and in fact I wrote to the supercharger team last year with suggestions of where to put a supercharger on the south side of San Antonio that could service both the I-10 route and an I-37 route to Corpus Christi and onwards to South Padre Island. My point was in prioritizing which stations to place first, to benefit the most number of owners and stimulate the most sales, completing the I-10 route to the east has a much bigger bang for the buck.

Here is an update to the table with progress:

SUPERCHARGERDESTINATIONMILESSTATION STATUSCOMMENT
Columbus, TXLake City, FL898 Causeway to fill as of Jan 3rd — Detailed Google Map
Columbus, TXBaytown, TX93Complete Start
Baytown, TX Lake Charles, LA 122 Speculation Need something near here to fill gap between Columbus and Lake Charles: Supercharger - [I-10 @ 94.9W], TX
Lake Charles, LA Baton Rouge, LA 131 Complete Supercharger - Lake Charles, LA
Baton Rouge, LA Slidell, LA 87 Under Construction Supercharger - Baton Rouge, LA
Slidell, LA Mobile, AL 103 Speculation Dot on "Coming Soon" map. Need something near here to fill gap between Baton Rouge and Mobile.
Mobile, AL DeFuniak Springs, FL 138 Pre-permit Dot on "Coming Soon" map, and Reliable Source — NEXT UP: Supercharger Network in SOUTHEAST - I-85
DeFuniak Springs, FL Tallahassee, FL 121 Under Construction Supercharger - Defuniak Springs FL
Tallahassee, FL Lake City, FL 104 Speculation Dot on Tesla 2015 Map
Lake City, FL Complete Finish

The biggest need on this route with no hints in sight (not even on the 2015 map) is a Supercharger near Baytown, TX (I-10 @ 94.9W). Without a Supercharger near here, it's a tough 168 miles from Huntsville to Lake Charles, and a very difficult 214 miles from Columbus to Lake Charles. Tesla may need a few reminders of how important this location is... Send your e-mails to [email protected] or get a site owner to fill out Supercharger Site Application.

Last edited:
The biggest need on this route with no hints in sight (not even on the 2015 map) is a Supercharger near Baytown, TX (I-10 @ 94.9W). Without a Supercharger near here, it's a tough 168 miles from Huntsville to Lake Charles, and a very difficult 214 miles from Columbus to Lake Charles. Tesla may need a few reminders of how important this location is... Send your e-mails to [email protected] .
When I did so last month after seeing the new 2015 map I recieved a boilerplate reply about how Tesla picks sites using precise energy modeling etc. If their energy modeling was so precise they would know that I-10 has a 75 mph speed limit outside of the Houston area which makes a supercharger near Baytown even more crucial.