Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog update: Factory Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one stat that doesn't quite add up for me is the number of batteries. They say they process 1,000,000 batteries per day. That means that if they are doing 85 kWh packs which contain 7104 batteries a piece, that's 140 packs per day. I didn't think the factory was running 7 days a week. If it is, then the numbers add up to be able to reach the 1000 cars per week number, but if the factory is only working 5 days a week, it is well short of the 1000 number (even if you divide by the number of cells in a 60 kWh pack it doesn't come close). Does anyone know if the factory actually runs 7 days as week now?

Great blog post. Loved the videos, the high-efficiency drive motor one in particular. As it was being wound, wanted to yell "there's a gap there, you missed a spot" ;)

Very cool stuff with the graphic artwork and greenery as well.

- on track to build 35k cars (maybe they are catching back up to make up for that lower 33k estimate on the last earnings call?)

I think they'd build 35k but end up delivering 33k; that was the takeaway from the earnings call.

So, they're at a run rate of 1000/week and they're guiding for 50k in 2015? But Elon's also stated exiting 2015 with a 100,000/year run rate.

These numbers don't quite seem to mesh. I'm going from memory here. Did I get one of those numbers wrong?

The one stat that doesn't quite add up for me is the number of batteries. They say they process 1,000,000 batteries per day. That means that if they are doing 85 kWh packs which contain 7104 batteries a piece, that's 140 packs per day. I didn't think the factory was running 7 days a week. If it is, then the numbers add up to be able to reach the 1000 cars per week number, but if the factory is only working 5 days a week, it is well short of the 1000 number (even if you divide by the number of cells in a 60 kWh pack it doesn't come close). Does anyone know if the factory actually runs 7 days as week now?

There's nothing that says different departments can't run different shifts and number of days/wk.

Thoughts on the Announced Factory Upgrade?

What does everyone think about the blog post Tesla published today discussing the factory upgrade and the end of the pause in production they had enacted? I'm glad to see things are moving again, and am anxiously awaiting my S85 (VIN 63552), which was confirmed October 23rd, but still only has a delivery date of "December." I'm a little nervous because of the tax rebate so I'm hoping everything stays on schedule so I don't have to wait a year for that benefit.

Here's a link to the blog post.

Factory Upgrade | Blog | Tesla Motors

I think Tesla needs to either opensource (if the artists would allow) and/or sell copies of the glass walls in form of posters or actual glass walls. I have a wall in my garage that terribly needs some cool art and a nice poster would fit perfectly there.

So, they're at a run rate of 1000/week and they're guiding for 50k in 2015? But Elon's also stated exiting 2015 with a 100,000/year run rate.

These numbers don't quite seem to mesh. I'm going from memory here. Did I get one of those numbers wrong?

They are at 1000/wk now, this should increase steadily. I think 60-75k for 2015 is realistic. The bottleneck still is Li Ion packs. I don't think an increase of 300% in production to be realistic. Perhaps 120-150%.

Lets think about this for a second. Assuming a steady increase in Li Ion production packs, to go from 1000/wk now to 3000/wk end 2015, averaging 2000/wk would require Li Ion cell supply to triple ! If that were true, 2016 production would be 150k minimum (3000 cars/wk * 52 wk/year) ! That would put Tesla Sales for 2016 @ 15 billion USD !

Last edited: