Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Direct Auto Sales Bans - Is This Map Accurate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swaltner

Oct 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
http://www.mojomotors.com/blog/where-can-tesla-sell-cars/

I came across this on MyNissanLeaf.com and was shocked by all the "red" on the map. Is it really this bad for direct auto sales? I knew about the well-publicized states (TX, MI, IA, etc...), but hadn't heard that my state of Kansas was on the list. It doesn't surprise me, it just hadn't been mentioned before. I know we don't currently have a Tesla store, but I thought that was just by choice, not by law.

According to their map:
States that Ban Direct Sales: 26
States that Allow Tesla to Sell Cars: 22
States Tesla is Fighting to Overturn Ban: 2

That map doesn't surprise me. As a Maryland resident who had no problem buying my car over the Internet, the "sales ban" is a speed bump, not a barrier. The fact that Michigan won't let Tesla service the vehicles that are registered there would seem to be a much bigger challenge. I don't think Tesla needs to fight in Md so much, but other state laws really seem to be out of control.

NJ I think has a "no new" Tesla gallery/service center ban I believe, but I could be wrong. They have a gallery at the Short hills mall that hasn't closed. But I don't think NJ has a supercharger ban, they just opened one in Edison at the Menlo Park mall at the end of August I believe. I'm also not sure about test drives being available at current galleries.