Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge growth in the taxi market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine just landed in Amsterdam today. He sent me a quick photo from the airport. Two white Tesla Model S taxis. He said from what he sees so far it's a 50/50 mix of Tesla vs. other cars for the taxi market. I have no idea what his sample size is yet but I think it's pretty interesting.

I understand that, obviously, a Tesla is pretty expensive for most cab drivers to afford as a cash purchase. But when you look at fuel savings and potential for financing, I wonder if there is explosive growth potential here provided the charging infrastructure can accomodate the daily cab driver's needs.

Anyone who knows the taxi industry want to comment / discuss? I guess especially in Europe, with really expensive fuel, the cost savings of an EV (under super high mileage driving) is quite attractive.

After what I heard the main complaints from the Norwegian Model S taxis are the backseat is too low, and the range is enough for a day but as most taxis run 18-24h you need some sort of 20kW charging at convenient location for the taxi to last more than 8-10h shift. Though the passengers like the car and it's comfortable to drive. Keep in mind in Oslo maybe 50% of the taxis are E-type MB which are pretty decent cars as well.

Cobos

oops. I meant of course the MB E-series or E-klasse.
Yes most that drive the Model S as taxies are Tesla fans and they do look forward to the X. With the big doors, good rear headroom and 7 seater it will be an excellent taxi.

Cobos

London has a requirement in the not to distant future for all new cabs to be capable of zero emissions so it will be interesting to see what happens in a few years for the private hire firms

This is the new black taxi electric which also looks pretty cool. Shame about the 50 mile range though!

The New Metrocab

Honestly, I'm surprised it is 50 miles under the circumstances.

Under current rules, I believe cars need a 50 km EV range to avoid congestion charges and get into city centers all over Europe - which by strange coincidence is exactly the NEDC rating of all the recent PHEVs from Europe...
Walter

I arrived in Amsterdam yesterday. There are Model S taxis all over the place, especially at the airport. My Uber driver told me that the government provides a 40,000 Euro subsidy for Model S taxis as a way of reducing fossil fuel consumption. This may be just a rumor but it makes sense at a Model S is a very expensive taxi, at least partly offset by the high cost of gas here.

After what I heard the main complaints from the Norwegian Model S taxis are the backseat is too low, and the range is enough for a day but as most taxis run 18-24h you need some sort of 20kW charging at convenient location for the taxi to last more than 8-10h shift. Though the passengers like the car and it's comfortable to drive. Keep in mind in Oslo maybe 50% of the taxis are E-type MB which are pretty decent cars as well.

Cobos
At Værnes there are a lot of Tesla-taxis, but it may have something to do With the supercharger located a few kilometers from the airport ;) There are always taxis there when I charge.