Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hate people that park in EV spaces!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't own a EV car yet but I still hate people that park in there zone, so selfish.
If I had a Tesla I would call up my friends with Tesla and drive down there and park around these 2 cars so they can not go out.
Just look at the car park it is almost empty why park at these 2 spot!!!!

BTW that's not my F10 lol

2014-11-17 02.43.42.jpg

2014-11-17 02.43.43-1.jpg

2014-11-17 02.43.43-11.jpg

2014-11-17 02.43.42-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your frustration, however, at the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal supercharger in particular - there is no priority for electric cars.

Tesla Motors have rented the space for the chargers only, not the very spots in front of them.

Management of this lot says all spaces are open to anyone, there is no special priority for any cars.

Even worse, you have to pay to get in first, only then can you see if the spots are taken. You cannot see the spots from the outside, or online, so the worst case scenario (which I tried on October 1st) is this:

1) Wait in line for 20 minutes, just to get to the entrance

2) Find all 4 spots ICEd up, including all the 13A spots as well

3) Wait for a while before the first ICE was finally moved

4) At some stage there was a line of three Model S waiting for a spot

There are no signs there to say these spots are reserved for Tesla Model S. I asked one of the drivers who ICEd it - he said he had no idea what those red-white things are.

In this case, we cannot blame the ICE car drivers, only the parking lot management, maybe to some extent Tesla Motors HK (for not pushing them for proper signing or even cones).

See previous threads, is has been discussed before several times, about Kai Tak SC.

Even so if it is free parking space, they don't have to park there when there are loads of other space around.
If they dont put a sign saying EV cars only then I bet 100% of HK people will park there just to piss us off.

So Tesla wasted all that $$$ installing superchargers there and Tesla owner can not used them.
What a stupid thing to do.
Now I know why many hate buying EV cars because many can not charge there cars at car parks.

Even so if it is free parking space, they don't have to park there when there are loads of other space around.
If they dont put a sign saying EV cars only then I bet 100% of HK people will park there just to piss us off.

So Tesla wasted all that $$$ installing superchargers there and Tesla owner can not used them.
What a stupid thing to do.
Now I know why many hate buying EV cars because many can not charge there cars at car parks.

I believe TM has learned from this, and from now on will only install superchargers on locations that actually welcome them - not just as a green washing PR move.

Suggest you write to SCMP, Apple Daily and the like - to put pressure on Ocean Terminals. It works fine in other places, why would you let TM install a SC and then not reserve it for what it's built for?

I was in Tsuen Wan Government parking yesterday and realized the first three spots with medium chargers were good for all cars. I tried to reason with the management company that there were only 5 media chargers and more importantly these medium chargers were located right at the entrance. Naturally,these 3 spots are almost always occupied by non-EV resulting the number of medium chargers for the whole building down to just 2.

The management company promised to review their existing policy. I understand there is a long way to go but still wanna raise it whenever possible. I am sure there will be better solution (at least interim one like chargers put at less "convenient" spots) when more EV drivers show them the deficiencies.

I was in Tsuen Wan Government parking yesterday and realized the first three spots with medium chargers were good for all cars. I tried to reason with the management company that there were only 5 media chargers and more importantly these medium chargers were located right at the entrance. Naturally,these 3 spots are almost always occupied by non-EV resulting the number of medium chargers for the whole building down to just 2.

The management company promised to review their existing policy. I understand there is a long way to go but still wanna raise it whenever possible. I am sure there will be better solution (at least interim one like chargers put at less "convenient" spots) when more EV drivers show them the deficiencies.

Great job! Yes, we all have to keep bugging them.

This situation at the terminal is really the fault of Tesla in the long run, they should have rented the car spaces not just the small plot for the Chargers. There is also responsibility for the totally selfish drivers who occupy ev charging places.

We we need to design a leaflet to put under people's wipers asking them to be more considerate.

The SuperCharger deal for shopping centres in Hong Kong should be simple - Tesla pays for the SuperChargers+electricity, and the shopping centre provides the spaces. The shopping centre benefits by attracting high net-worth individuals to come there and be 'trapped' for a few hours with all those shops and restaurants around. The customer pays for parking as normal (or gets a few hours free by buying lots of stuff, just like other drivers).

I think expecting Tesla to rent-out those car parking spaces is a non-starter. These spots are HK$2,000 - HK$4,000 /month (depending on location), and that just isn't gonna work out long-term.

I don't have a problem with ICE cars parking in the supercharger spots - so long as the car park is full. The issue, IMHO, is one of priority. Those spots should be the last to be filled by ICE vehicles. They should simply be coned off, and opened up when the car park is full.

The car parking spaces are a shared resources (used by both ICE and EV vehicles). We just need to prioritise the EV use.

Tesla simply should not be agreeing to supercharger deals where the spots are not clearly marked as for EV use and priority given to those EVs that can us them. The arrangement at Kai Tak was a mistake.

Interestingly, the same priority arrangement is also suitable with regular charging spots. I was at Cheung Sha Wan yesterday, and all the spots were ICEd (again). I am so bored of complaining.

It's Tesla's fault for providing free fuel to its customers? Okay. Feel free to inform Tesla that they shouldn't provide Model S owners in your area with Superchargers.

That's a bit blunt, Kruggerand. I am quite an enthusiast myself, and those who know me can confirm that. That doesn't prevent us from trying to make the EV situation better, and your comment isn't helpful at all in this regard. No-one said it had to be helpful, of course, yet I reserve the right to comment on it although it wasn't my post.

Tesla Motors HK have themselves admitted it wasn't too smart to sign a lease without making sure it included the relevant parking spots. They won't do that mistake again, they learned a lesson here. In California you generally have a lot more room than in Hong Kong, and a lot of people have the possibility to charge at home. Like in London, Hong Kong has the issue that most car owners don't own or control where they park - hence the success of EVs in Hong Kong - including the Tesla Model S - relies heavily on the superchargers, despite distances not really requiring superchargers.

I personally don't have access to any charging where I live, not even 13A/2kW. I can drive to a nearby paid parking, and charge at 2kW for 1 1/2 day. That would cost me about 150-200 USD to charge the car, just in parking charges. So I drive for 30 minutes to the nearest supercharger, the one in Kai Tak, to charge my car. Imagine driving for 30 minutes, for a regular charge, only to find that the only four SC spots in this parking lot are blocked. You cannot even see these spots from the outside, you will be inside, and paying for the parking already, just to find four gas guzzlers blocking one of your few realistic opportunities to charge your car.

All we asked for is that they put up some signs to say these spots are reserved for charging Tesla Model S cars, maybe even some cones to block them off (most people don't read signs, or don't care, but are too lazy to get out and move a cone)

I hope you will see this in a more nuanced view, of this local issue here in HK you decided to partake in.

This situation at the terminal is really the fault of Tesla in the long run, they should have rented the car spaces not just the small plot for the Chargers. There is also responsibility for the totally selfish drivers who occupy ev charging places.

We we need to design a leaflet to put under people's wipers asking them to be more considerate.
100% surport this print out A4 and put it on every car we see that parks on the EV charging space

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla needs to install spikes like garages use if you enter the exit. Spikes would lower when a Tesla is detected.

nice idea should email to Tesla USA

100% surport this print out A4 and put it on every car we see that parks on the EV charging space

Would someone suggest a text, in both Chinese and English?

I want one which isn't too pushy or provocative, with emphasis on information. Not too long, straight to the point, maybe even with a funny graphic on it. More info in smaller font, for those interested.

It's vital that it doesn't look like advertisement, or no-one will read it.

An ICE parking in an EV only parking spot is bad, but FAR WORSE is an EV blocking any kind of EVSE and not being plugged in. This is traitorous to the EV community to satisfy their self righteous jackassary. It seems like Tesla owners are the worst at this, more than any other EV/PHEV. They must think that these "Charging Only" spaces are just so they can spare a few feet to the mall. However, they are cheap asses and don't want to pay the $1.75/hour to be plugged in, so this results in blocked spaces, rendered unusable by this mental midgets. Here is a picture of what is actually a crime being committed in Washington State, punishable by a $124 fine.
1537894_10152184004769308_382087611_o.jpg

Cones are the best solution for "soft" enforcement, where the spaces aren't necessarily reserved for EVs.

As for why the chargers are put in "prime" parking spots, many times those spots are also where it's the least expensive and most efficient to wire. Spots that are far off tend to also not be near the main electrical source. This is a problem that all types of EV chargers have to deal with.

An ICE parking in an EV only parking spot is bad, but FAR WORSE is an EV blocking any kind of EVSE and not being plugged in. This is traitorous to the EV community to satisfy their self righteous jackassary. It seems like Tesla owners are the worst at this, more than any other EV/PHEV. They must think that these "Charging Only" spaces are just so they can spare a few feet to the mall. However, they are cheap asses and don't want to pay the $1.75/hour to be plugged in, so this results in blocked spaces, rendered unusable by this mental midgets. Here is a picture of what is actually a crime being committed in Washington State, punishable by a $124 fine.

It's great there is a fine for it, and I hope it is properly announced AND enforced. Obviously, in your example, it's not the case.

Whether EV or ICE, charging spots shouldn't be occupied if not charging.