Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 1.5 wiper arm broke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wiper arm on my 1.5 Roadster broke about 3/4 of an inch from the attachment to the shaft. The reason is completely unknown (non freezing weather).

Anyone else had this happen or have any ideas?

Anyone have an extra arm or know of any other cars this arm is used on?

This happened to mine as well. I think it was $75 or so for a new one. You may need a gear puller to get the old base off. But those are inexpensive or are often rented free of charge from Advanced. I was able to repair my old one with JB Weld and I can send for $20 if you are in the states but you may be like me and prefer a new one as I am not sure how JB Weld will hold in all conditions.

EDIT - Upon inspection I did not keep my "repaired" wiper arm. While it appeared solid I had visions of a heavy rain on a dark and cold night with it failing again. While JB Weld is great stuff especially when pins are added I doubt it is stronger than a new one.

Last edited:
The Elise will fit, but for some reason ( I think I know ), the wiper arm is slightly different. The "[" looking section of the arm is longer for the Roadster, the Elise is not as aggressive. It will work. I think the "[" part being aggressive on the Roadster somehow adds more force down on the windshield for better coverage and wiping action when the Roadster is moving at higher speeds.

The Elise will fit, but for some reason ( I think I know ), the wiper arm is slightly different. The "[" looking section of the arm is longer for the Roadster, the Elise is not as aggressive. It will work. I think the "[" part being aggressive on the Roadster somehow adds more force down on the windshield for better coverage and wiping action when the Roadster is moving at higher speeds.
Is this for all Roadsters (1.5, 2.0, 2.5)? I am particularly interested in early 1.5.

I would also recommend switching the black plastic pin in the wiper assembly for a metal safety pin (not sure what they are called but it's a bolt with a hole that you can put a metal loop through).
I had the plastic pin "give out" on me during heavy rain which was not fun!! It would essentially pop out after 1-2 wipes ...
Of course I didn't think of using the metal ring in my key chain as a perfectly fine substitute until the rain was almost over.

The series 2 Elsie were made 2001 to 2011. Lotus supplied “gliders” (for lack of a better term) to Tesla for 2008 to 2011 (possibly 2012), so that would seem to be the same(or semi-compatible) for the Roadster.

The Tesla authorized auto body repair center ordered it for me for $85.

Autozone’s website claims to sell the “original” wiper arm for $50. Same part for Lotus Roadster and Tesla Roadster(with scant details on the order page)