Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving the XM Radio Interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am two weeks into Tesla ownership. I already realize how critical it is to NOT be looking at the display when driving (and I realize why "blind feel" knobs served so well for decades!) With so many features and the desire for upgradeability, I "get it" on why the touch screen is a necessary choice, so I will learn not to look when driving.
However, using XM Radio as an example, is is scary difficult to take advantage of the many channels offered. So, attached is a crude proposal to upgrade the XM Radio interface to make it quicker and easier to read (bolder typefaces) and more presets. Does anyone else feel the same way, and would you be supportive of proposing some kind of change to Tesla Motors??
Thanks
Ed Hart

XMRadioProposal.jpg

I would just like a way to increment or decrement by 1 (again). The left buttons used to do that but we all complained that there was no way to go through the presets from the wheel. So they changed it. It would have been better if they added the capability, as opposed to replacing (holding down the button does one thing she clicking it does the other).

If someone listens to 70s and 80s music, they have to store channels 7 and 8 both as presets (or use the screen).

With internet connectivity, they should also be able to provide a better program guide - especially for the sports channels - by providing the games actually being broadcast, rather than having to step through each of the stations to look for a specific game...

An alternative I used is to make a list of all my listened to channels, then add them in numeric order to the favorites list. If I want a channel not among the 6 presets I just select the favorites (heart icon) and scroll and pick from there, where their names are included with the number.

Wow. By the sound of it all the posters in this thread actually have working XM radio. I can't use mine for more than a minute before the signal drops off and I get nothing but static.

You know how it has the three "signal strength" bars? I believe the signal is supposed to drop when you lose all three. Well, mine goes to static if I lose even one of them!

(I'm going to get it checked out the next time I'm at a service center)

Have not had any problems with my XM Radio reception - and I've had my MS for almost 2 years. My only complaint is the limitations of the XM Radio user interface - not reception...

If you're having reception problems - have the Service Center check it - you may be having a problem with the XM Radio antenna.

If you're having reception problems - have the Service Center check it - you may be having a problem with the XM Radio antenna.

This was my assessment as well; my experience seems abnormal.

Unfortunately, inspection will likely have to wait until Spring since I'm more than 2000km from the nearest service center and I doubt Tesla will fly out a Ranger for this. Relieved that I can hopefully expect better XM service in the future, though.

This was my assessment as well; my experience seems abnormal.

Unfortunately, inspection will likely have to wait until Spring since I'm more than 2000km from the nearest service center and I doubt Tesla will fly out a Ranger for this. Relieved that I can hopefully expect better XM service in the future, though.

There is another thread where northern owners said they were having issues, which makes sense, given XM's satellite placement. A rep from SiriusXM offered to help: mailto:[email protected]

Sirius/XM reception issues???

There is another thread where northern owners said they were having issues, which makes sense, given XM's satellite placement. A rep from SiriusXM offered to help: mailto:[email protected]

Sirius/XM reception issues???

I'm actually subscribed to that thread but had forgotten about it. I'll try sending them XM a message since I didn't actually have my car the last time I posted there.

Thanks for the reminder!