Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car alarm.........car alarm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M67v

I just work here
Sep 2, 2014
Reading, PA
I'm not a Tesla owner as of this post (but will hopefully would get one in the future), so I don't know about this completely.

But so far, to me it doesn't look like the Model S has an alarm.:confused:

There is no button on the keyfob, and when one of the show cars in the Tesla store was locked (note that the window was open), I reached in and pulled the interior door handle, and no alarm or anything went off.

So my question is, is there an alarm in the Tesla Model S? If there isn't, I would know to buy an aftermarket alarm system if we hopefully get a Tesla in the future.

And it can be turned on and off via the touchscreen under settings:

Screenshot 2014-11-16 17.10.04.png

So I'm guessing they have it turned off on the cars in the store.

M67v, just to let you know about the alarm. My wife and I arrived at our location, I got out but my wife stayed in the car as she was finishing up some work. I walked away and totally forgot about the car locking by itself (a nice feature you get use to). Well needless to say I heard the car alarm go off a minute or so later when my wife was trying to get out of the car. She could not unlock or open the door to get out. I had to stop the alarm and unlock the car with the fob.

That sounds like a big safety issue ...., double pull or something like that didn't work ?

Good point, but on most modern cars when the car is locked, the doors are dead-bolted, so that a thief reaching through a smashed window cannot just open the door from the inside. If someone is left in the car (without a key), then as far as the car knows, it's empty. The difference being with the Model S, is that the locking happens automatically, so there's less awareness of the consequences. From a software point of view, they could implement a check of the seats (air bag sensors) to see if there appears to be someone left in the car, but then what, it just doesn't lock & arm the alarm?

The alarm is there in the car. However, if somebody breaks your window and doesn't open the door, the alarm doesn't go off and you don't get any notifications. (speaking from experience :cursing::mad:)

I guess the ultrasonics only really cover the front seats (I think they're up in the microphone cluster?). they've started to appear on the B pillar in some cars, in theory that should then detect the glass break (or at least someone reaching in) around the rear seats, but, it's an old technology, they don't do a good job of detecting a window break unless it's aggressive.

The alarm is there in the car. However, if somebody breaks your window and doesn't open the door, the alarm doesn't go off and you don't get any notifications. (speaking from experience :cursing::mad:)

I bet if someone climbed in and moved around in the car, or reached in and opened the door from the inside the alarm would go off...

• Helpful
Reactions: Magomboman
My daughter set off the alarm first week I owned my Model S when I left her in the car to go get a Dunkin. She opened the door from the inside while it was locked and powered down (she was getting out as she didn't know why it all shut down). So I "tested" the alarm and it works.

I'm not a Tesla owner as of this post (but will hopefully would get one in the future), so I don't know about this completely.

But so far, to me it doesn't look like the Model S has an alarm.:confused:

There is no button on the keyfob, and when one of the show cars in the Tesla store was locked (note that the window was open), I reached in and pulled the interior door handle, and no alarm or anything went off.

So my question is, is there an alarm in the Tesla Model S? If there isn't, I would know to buy an aftermarket alarm system if we hopefully get a Tesla in the future.

Someone broke the passenger rear door and quarter windows, entered the car, folded a back seat and ransacked the trunk, peeling back the liner on the driver side trunk. Alarm did NOT go off, no notice to iPhone.....

Someone broke the passenger rear door and quarter windows, entered the car, folded a back seat and ransacked the trunk, peeling back the liner on the driver side trunk. Alarm did NOT go off, no notice to iPhone.....

USA build Teslas do not have an intrusion or glass break sensor like EU builds. So unless they opened a door (...you said they entered the car...did they actually open a door or just break windows?), you won't get an alarm or push notification on your iPhone Tesla app.

I guess they wriggled in through the broken door window. The quarter window repair was VERY expensive, that, with the door glass and a new regulator (glass crumbs jammed the window mechanism) came to almost $1,700.00, just short of our insurance deductible.

Note, Tesla makes/made sells their own after-market alarm (upgrade for Model X only tho, I think). Probably in online store, I haven't looked because I don't have X.

Has motion detect.. it replaces the dome light in the middle of the vehicle.