Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TO to the Big Apple

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once the Kingston supercharger is up:

1. Toronto Lawrence (for a top-up if you're from western Toronto)
  2. Kingston
  3. Syracuse (warning - a long leg for winter conditions. Will be much easier once Albany is online.)
  4. There's a bunch of Superchargers in the NY, NY area.

Buffalo to Albany is 273 miles. Not gonna happen, you need a quick 1-2 hour stop between prefferably at a HPWC or something giving you more than 30A charge rate. Other than that is superchargers. I looked and found a 70A J1772 charger for you in Syracuse, Best Western Plus hotel parking lot, $5 per hour (they'll let you charge free probably if you eat in the restaurant?). So you charge as close to 100% as you have patience in Buffalo, drive carefully (55-60 mph) and stop in Syrcuse. You charge at 70A for 2 hours (dinner?) and then you should have plenty range to keep a decent speed to Albany where you will want to arrive to the supercharger with a low battery (state of charge) in order to start supercharging at maxiumum speed. Then you go from Albany to NYC! :)

Buffalo SC is in the Permit stage and Syracuse is planned for future, so assuming Kingston SC is operational:

Toronto SC to Kingston SC - 245km
Kingston SC to Albany SC - 364km ( this is dicey in Winter since this shortest route involves some hilly terrain )
Albany SC to NYC

Thanks folks. I guess for now, the best route is through Kingston. And yes, it will be a winter (January) ride. I'll probably need to find something between Kingston and Albany.

Play with EV Trip Planner and find a couple of L2 chargers along the way. Be sure to put all the parameters into EV Trip Planner, especially model and temps. The speed multiplier, multiplies average speeds on the route, not speed limits. Play with the speed multiplier. You can almost always reduce total time on a long segment like this, by slowing down. The reduced time on the L2 charger greatly outweighs the increased driving time. The slower the L2 charger, the more dramatic the effects of slowing down.

Because you are Canadian, I assume that you have dual chargers to take advantage of those great 90/70 and 100/80 Amp Sun Country EVSE's! There is a 90/72 Amp Sun Country EVSE at a Best Western in Syracuse, Best Western Plus in Syracuse. Plan a lunch or dinner stop there. Always call ahead!

Have Fun!

Thanks folks. I guess for now, the best route is through Kingston. And yes, it will be a winter (January) ride. I'll probably need to find something between Kingston and Albany.

Until Montreal Supercharger is alive, you can always charge at my place in Candiac, QC which is 330km from Albany. So Kingston / Cornwall, then aut. 30 and top off at my place then straight to Albany. Its still a stretch, 330km in winter conditions... We are two on Plugshare with 80A HPWC.

There are planned Superchargers in Plattsburg & Burlington on the 2014 supercharger map...

When my car was new I did a 300 km leg in extreme cold and blizzard conditions. It really helped that the conditions slowed down traffic. I was watching power consumption like a hawk, and with care I arrived with 30 projected km left.

I think it would be a risky proposition to try for 330 km unless the weather was reasonably good.

The advice is great - and Kalud, thanks for the generous offer. From everyone's feedback though, it looks like this might not be the most practical trip in the winter until there are more Superchargers in place. I might consider flying :(