Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17" Screen Protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just back at Premier Protective Films in Fremont to have my PPF wrap re-checked and sealed. I also had a 17" Screen Protector installed. THIS is WONDERFUL! The coating provides a nice layer that dramatically reduces the fingerprints on my screen and the system is still just a touch sensitive. Having been in the car WITHOUT this and feeling the need to wipe the prints away all the time - this new film works wonders. The coating also provide glare reduction. Be sure to check it out with David at Premier. I had a FULL PPF wrap and Spectra Photo Sync on ALL windows (yes even the Pano glass). So far the heat reduction has been awesome and I also can't get enough of the look with a full PPF wrap... I'll post some pics tomorrow!

If you went through Premier, then I can assume you got Glareshield for the screen. It is a pretty durable protector. I was driving on the freeway and when I looked down to change the channel on the screen, suddenly everyone started braking hard. I slammed on my brakes and I went from 70mph to a full stop as there was an accident ahead. I had a full stainless steel coffee mug and many have already noted, the cupholders are somewhat loose without the rubber tabs inside. My mug full of coffee lunged forward and smacked the lower right side of the screen. I'm sure it would have cracked it without the screen protector from Glareshield. I am sold on the protective abilities of this film and it works very well in resisting those fingerprints. I had the film removed and replaced by Prmeier recently and there was not a single mark on my screen. 10 / 10 stars.

Attachments

• screen damage b.jpg
    screen damage b.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 633
  • screen damage a.jpg
    screen damage a.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 620
I've had my Model S since January 2013 - and have almost 45K miles. Haven't used a screen protector - and other than periodically using a microfiber cloth to remove the fingerprints, haven't had an issue with the display or appear to have any need for a screen protector.

I put a screen protector on my 2013, and compared to the loaners I've had without screen protection, there are far less fingerprints to wipe off--not zero though.

I have the same screen protector placed onto the screen several weeks ago and should be the same one by techiesjc. Works very well with reducing almost all fingerprints. My wife uses a lot of lotion on her hands so the screen always had fingerprints on it. Now, I don't see them anymore. Works as advertised and did not mind having a pro install it for me.

While I far prefer the touchscreen to any other car interface, IMHO regarding the touchscreen my bigger issue is not the fingerprints but the friction on the surface itself. With the oils in your finger and the angle of your arm when seated, it's a little bit difficult to "glide" your finger up or down when scrolling through a list. Super-minor issue I know, but I imagine a screen protector improves this quite a bit over pure glass.

I don't plan on putting on a screen protector, but if I did I imagine that reduction in finger friction would be the biggest perk for me.

While I far prefer the touchscreen to any other car interface, IMHO regarding the touchscreen my bigger issue is not the fingerprints but the friction on the surface itself. With the oils in your finger and the angle of your arm when seated, it's a little bit difficult to "glide" your finger up or down when scrolling through a list. Super-minor issue I know, but I imagine a screen protector improves this quite a bit over pure glass.

I don't plan on putting on a screen protector, but if I did I imagine that reduction in finger friction would be the biggest perk for me.

The screen protector from Prestige is a must imo. I recently had my car in for service and the loaner's screen had visible scratches to it. Atop the protection, I love how I no longer have fingerprints and it also helps to take away some of the glare. Functionality of the screen is not affected and it does make my fingers glide better especially when using the Navi

The screen protector from Prestige is a must imo. I recently had my car in for service and the loaner's screen had visible scratches to it. Atop the protection, I love how I no longer have fingerprints and it also helps to take away some of the glare. Functionality of the screen is not affected and it does make my fingers glide better especially when using the Navi

Just found this thread. Figured we would throw our 2cents on here. We also install the GlareShield screen protector and the biggest differences with this and other products that you can buy online are:

1. 8 mils thick - most stuff out there do not even advertise their thickness. This is what protected Lloyd's screen from the impact of his coffee mug - testament to its impact resistance. We actually saw his screen in person and there was not one single scratch on his screen after removing the film.
2. Anti-fingerprint - reduce fingerprints by 80%
3. Anti-glare - reduce glare by 30%
4. Anti-blue light - reduce blue light by 35%. This helps with driving comfort at night
5. Scratch resistance coating - I believe this is the only screen protector on the market that has an anti-scratch coating on it
6. Impact resistant

If you guys are familiar with Prestige Film Technologies (the ones who make Spectra PhotoSync and CeraLuxe Quantum Ceramic Tint), they are the manufacturer of GlareShield. We lay film all day, so from our professional opinion, this is a very unique and special product. And it works as lloyds' car shows above.

Anyone Spectra PhotoSync Dealer should have access to this, so contact your local Spectra Dealer for more info.

Here are some live photos:

GlareShield Anti-Finger Print / AntiGlare Screen Protection Film