Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

World Solar Challenge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

For a long time, I've been involved with the World Solar Challenge http://www.worldsolarchallenge.org -- 40 custom-built electric solar vehicles compete to be the fastest to cross from Darwin down to Adelaide. It's an awesome event travelling through some amazing landscapes. The event stops at 7 locations along the route (sometimes more, depending on the year), which led me to think that it would be possible to charge Tesla vehicles at those locations if we had some charging infrastructure (realistically, this would have to be a big generator in lots of locations). Those locations are all less than 500km apart (or there could be extra charge stops added), and if we could somehow get fast chargers there we'd be able to charge a series of cars.

There seems to be a whole lot of energy here (excuse the pun!), so I was wondering if anyone might be interested in trying to work out how to drive a set of solar cars along the route. It takes about four days to drive it, but in the Model S I think we'd probably stretch it out a bit.

It'd be a bold move to drive a rally of Model S cars through some of the most remote country on earth, but it'd be an amazing demonstration of the ability of the electric car.

It's just an idea and there's a bit of chicken-and-egg -- people would need to be interested, the event organisers would need to be sold on i it, and we'd need to work out the logistics and technical challenges of charging cars, moving fast chargers, etc (I was thinking of contacting Tritium to see if they'd like to participate). Perhaps Tesla or others would sponsor that side of things.

Cheers,

Dave.

I suggested to Tesla that they should do this a couple of years ago - if only for a single car. The idea would be to have batteries at the charge stops to recharge the car. If they were to work with a green energy company then they could potentially use renewable power to charge the batteries, and complete the run in record time while cruising at 100kmh with the air conditioning running. :)

I remember a couple of students drove across the US in a Tesla charging it up every day using solar power from fold-up blanket type PV cells that they could pack up and carry with them during the night-time drives to the next day-stop. Based on that idea, it would be possible to deliver some portable solar PV arrays to the charging stop positions along with sufficient battery capacity to pre-store the solar energy, so when the cars arrive they can charge from the battery quickly and move on. It needs a lot of logistics and materials (PV cells as well as batteries), but I think it should be doable and then it would really be solar powered.

Nice idea. However, the other bit of logistics is getting the cars to and from the starting point and return.. From Sydney/Melbourne to Darwin/ Adelaide. Or even a car based in Adelaide, has to get home from Darwin. If this can all be worked out, (maybe a train) I actually could be interested in joining.

Simon Hackett did this in his Roadster in 2011. IIRC he had a truck with a 3 phase generator follow him for recharging.
It would not be easy but I think it would be possible for a Model S to do the trip.
Solar Challenge stops an distances are:
Darwin to Katherine 316km
Katherine to Dunmarra 318km
Dunmarra to Tennant Creek 355km
Tennant Creek to Barrow Creek 225km
Barrow Creek to Alice Springs 286km
Alice Springs to Kulgera 284km
Kulgera to Coober Pedy 424km
Coober Pedy to Glendambo 254km
Glendambo to Port Augusta 286km
Port Augusta to Adelaide 307km.
So with suitable charging at each stop it would be possible to keep up with the Solar cars.

Simon Hackett did this in his Roadster in 2011. IIRC he had a truck with a 3 phase generator follow him for recharging.
It would not be easy but I think it would be possible for a Model S to do the trip.
Solar Challenge stops an distances are:
Darwin to Katherine 316km
Katherine to Dunmarra 318km
Dunmarra to Tennant Creek 355km
Tennant Creek to Barrow Creek 225km
Barrow Creek to Alice Springs 286km
Alice Springs to Kulgera 284km
Kulgera to Coober Pedy 424km
Coober Pedy to Glendambo 254km
Glendambo to Port Augusta 286km
Port Augusta to Adelaide 307km.
So with suitable charging at each stop it would be possible to keep up with the Solar cars.

I believe Simon is looking to do it again.