Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK's Telegraph quotes Elon saying major OEM to build BEVs using Tesla tech/patents.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
But some industry analysts suggest that Musk needs the mainstream carmakers to start building electric cars in greater numbers to create business for the gigafactory, drive down battery prices, and make Tesla more profitable.

This, they suggest, explains Musk's extraordinary decision earlier this year to "open-source" all of Tesla's patents, making its technology freely available to anyone who wants to copy it. "So far, at least one major carmaker has, although they haven't given me permission to say who it is," he(Elon Musk)reveals.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/green-motoring/11230721/The-most-desirable-electric-car-yet.html

That the OEM has not been revealed tells us it is not Mercedes making the B Class.

Tesla doesn't need other manufacturers to buy from the gigafactory, they can generate plenty of sales on their own. They'll drive their own prices down, and their profit margin is already more than double that of the industry average.

What Tesla does need though is other manufacturers to build vehicles to increase availability of chargers (not because the other manufacturers will necessarily build those, but the more EVs on the road, the more places will install chargers)

But some industry analysts suggest that Musk needs the mainstream carmakers to start building electric cars in greater numbers to create business for the gigafactory, drive down battery prices, and make Tesla more profitable.

This, they suggest, explains Musk's extraordinary decision earlier this year to "open-source" all of Tesla's patents, making its technology freely available to anyone who wants to copy it. "So far, at least one major carmaker has, although they haven't given me permission to say who it is," he(Elon Musk)reveals.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/green-motoring/11230721/The-most-desirable-electric-car-yet.html

That the OEM has not been revealed tells us it is not Mercedes making the B Class.
i would take musk at his word and stated motivation. despite merrill lynch analyst, he is not dishonest nor Dr. Evil. i believe his mission as stated so many times is to promote EVs. if tesla builds the best cars they will be there otherwise not.

From the article:

"I'm lucky enough to have tested both the F1 and the Bugatti Veyron Supersports, which currently claims the world's fastest 0-60mph time for a mainstream production car, and I can attest that the P85D feels considerably faster than both."

Holy crap.

From the article:

"I'm lucky enough to have tested both the F1 and the Bugatti Veyron Supersports, which currently claims the world's fastest 0-60mph time for a mainstream production car, and I can attest that the P85D feels considerably faster than both."

Holy crap.

And I believe it, because the insta torque is unmatchable.

We have to keep in mind that the P85D is a stock version family car.
I would like to see a "tuned" P85D with slicks and settings that are maybe bad for longterm reliability but give push it under 3 sec. 0-60.

Bring on the Tesla clones. I see this as great news. Tesla-led battery pack and Supercharging technologies will create an ecosystem that reduces cost and risk while enhancing the pace of innovation for all. I genuinely hope that it is an Indian automaker as this would open up huge new opportunities. Imagine if we had a Tesla clone in India. They could partner with Tesla to build a Gigafactory in India. The output of which could go into both clone cars and Tesla cars all over Asia. Same could be said of a Chinese automaker, but currently we have no plans for India.

From the article:

Holy crap.

That is likely because of the instant EV torqued hat presses you back into the seat, an ICE cannot match that.

with each day that Tesla SC network is growing, and no other Manufacturer dont start to to deploy a fast charging network.
It becomes more and more economical just to Join Tesla Network and pay licensing fees.

Remember each network grows exponentially in their utility with each new nod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed's_law

I don't believe it'd really be "licensing fees" to join the Tesla Network. It's more "build a car that can Supercharge, help pay for the network". More cars, more network, more wealthy customers, more businesses keen to host, more network, more cars ...

- - - Updated - - -

That is likely because of the instant EV torqued hat presses you back into the seat, an ICE cannot match that.

... and the EV holds you there until you let go of go. No gear changes.

It's BMW. Everything points to it...

They co-developed their pouch cell with Samsung SDI and were looking for partners to join them in using their standard.

When BMW engineers met with Tesla the press wrote it was about the Supercharger network.

This article says than an OEM will build EVs with Tesla tech. I guess BMW could just using the charging protocol on their cars but that is not what was implied.

with each day that Tesla SC network is growing, and no other Manufacturer dont start to to deploy a fast charging network.
It becomes more and more economical just to Join Tesla Network and pay licensing fees.

Remember each network grows exponentially in their utility with each new nod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed's_law

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Prisoner's dilemma

It's BMW. Everything points to it...

My thoughts as well.

ICE makers face "prisoner's dilemma".

Let's apply game theory to ice car makers:

Cooperation provides the best prospects for all prisoners - ICE makers all stick to their profitable game of making money by making and selling ice cars, with some compliance cars. Cooperation ensures the best prospects for all prisoners.

Betrayal - One of the makers decides to gain advantage over other makers by leaving the current game and betrays them by shifting into alternative game which cannibalizes the existing game. This scenario favours the traitor over other prisoners.

Dilemma - to stay with the current game or to betray and gain the advantage over others?

Betrayal is the usual outcome of the prisoner's dilemma. BMW may have made the move. We shall see.

Ok, I want to be one of you cool kids with the "more the merrier" viewpoint, but I am not there. Explain to me, as a shareholder, why I want another major OEM making a Tesla clone? While that other automaker will have to solve the battery sourcing problem, they will probably have a lower cost basis for everything else. So BMW (for instance) could make a car with similar specs but more cupholders that was $10k less. Why does this make me happy again?

Particularly, if they say "you are right Mr Musk, 18256 cells are better than pouches. that is why we bought up Panasonics' new capacity they are bringing online in an nth factory they are un-mothballing".

Ok, I want to be one of you cool kids with the "more the merrier" viewpoint, but I am not there. Explain to me, as a shareholder, why I want another major OEM making a Tesla clone? While that other automaker will have to solve the battery sourcing problem, they will probably have a lower cost basis for everything else. So BMW (for instance) could make a car with similar specs but more cupholders that was $10k less. Why does this make me happy again?

Particularly, if they say "you are right Mr Musk, 18256 cells are better than pouches. that is why we bought up Panasonics' new capacity they are bringing online in an nth factory they are un-mothballing".

Reasons are many, I will list just few:

EV market penetration promotes better charging infrastructure, that promotes more bev sales. That dynamic creates self-feeding loop.
Cleaner air, quieter streets and all other advantages of green technology
More R&D $ going towards bev technology
Unstoppable technology shift from ice to bev. Tesla as the only player may not achieve that shift.

I disagree that ice car makers may have lower cost basis than Tesla to make bev, my expectation is for them to have higher cost basis as they are technologically behind and they have to fight strong internal resistance.

The global auto market is absolutely massive and EVs are still seen as a niche product and are widely understood. Major OEMs making earnest moves into high-quality EV offerings and making investments into sales, marketing and consumer education means the entire EV market grows, far bigger than Tesla could possibly service in the foreseeable future. It is a smaller piece of a much, much bigger pie. Having other manufacturers on board de-risks Tesla.

At this point, as an investor I'd prefer Tesla have a large probability of capturing 10% of the global auto market (still 9mm vehicles per year!) vs. a smaller probability of capturing 20% over a longer period of time.

I'm not sure I articulated this as well as I could but these are my thoughts.

As Auzie says, if someone else can help break open the total addressable market that's to Tesla's benefit even if Tesla's market share suffers some. Better 20% of a 10X market than 80% of a 1X market.

While that other automaker will have to solve the battery sourcing problem, they will probably have a lower cost basis for everything else.
I don't see much reason to believe that's true. Tesla achieves a lot of savings with its vertical integration, something other auto manufacturers do not have. Someone cloning the S and it's relatively low run rates isn't going to get huge gains in some bottom line simply due to size. It might even be worse because it's hard to get vertical integration if the company is currently configured around wide spread outsourcing and distributed integration.