Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green E-Z Pass in NY/NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who may not be aware of it, E-Z Pass offers "green" discounts. I just received my green unit for my windshield. Apply on their web site; you will need to send a copy of your registration for Model S. I don't know how much one saves with the discount because I haven't been able to review my usage yet. Enjoy.
:rolleyes:

Ummm, what state?

ezpass of NJ and ezpass of port authority and ezpass of NY all offer green pass discounts. I would assume most do. EZpass is mostly northeast/mid atlantic. E-ZPass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. UNFORTUNATELY, because the states are stupid around here, each is a separate entity despite the name being the same. and the discount only applies to state/tag that you get it from and where that plan is accepted. lame. requires me to 'tag swap' between NJ and NY tags so I can get discounts on both roadways/tolls/bridges/etc.

There's been some very useful discussion of the Green EZ-Pass programs in the Mid-Atlantic forum. Importantly, our TMC colleagues have discovered that anyone can get a Green EZ-Pass (if they have an eligible vehicle, of course), regardless of state of residency: GREEN EZ Pass - Page 2

The discounted toll is only on Port Authority of NY/NJ crossings, but these are the Big Boys of tolls traveling along the I-95 corridor. So, if you do that much, probably worthwhile getting a PANYNJ Green EZ-Pass for those crossings.

I'm not aware of any other state offering a discount for 'green' cars. (And besides, Tesla has discontinued making green cars ;-))

There's been some very useful discussion of the Green EZ-Pass programs in the Mid-Atlantic forum. Importantly, our TMC colleagues have discovered that anyone can get a Green EZ-Pass (if they have an eligible vehicle, of course), regardless of state of residency: GREEN EZ Pass - Page 2

The discounted toll is only on Port Authority of NY/NJ crossings, but these are the Big Boys of tolls traveling along the I-95 corridor. So, if you do that much, probably worthwhile getting a PANYNJ Green EZ-Pass for those crossings.

I'm not aware of any other state offering a discount for 'green' cars. (And besides, Tesla has discontinued making green cars ;-))

it's worth noting though that the discounts only apply for off peak hours. so unless you travel frequently and cross the NY bridges before 6am every day, it's not worth getting.

it's worth noting though that the discounts only apply for off peak hours. so unless you travel frequently and cross the NY bridges before 6am every day, it's not worth getting.
There is no cost so why not? What I am having trouble understanding is depending on where you get the tag from (NJ or NY) you may or may not receive a discount. For example I think if you get the tag from NY, then no NJ turnpike discount. If from NJ then no NY to NY bridge discount. Of course around here the REAL big ones are the NJ-NY bridges and tunnels, currently at $13. What state tag do you need for these?

Why can't EZ-Pass be universal, act the same regardless of where you got it???? Guess that would make way too much sense for government bureaucracy.

There is no cost so why not? What I am having trouble understanding is depending on where you get the tag from (NJ or NY) you may or may not receive a discount. For example I think if you get the tag from NY, then no NJ turnpike discount. If from NJ then no NY to NY bridge discount. Of course around here the REAL big ones are the NJ-NY bridges and tunnels, currently at $13. What state tag do you need for these?

Why can't EZ-Pass be universal, act the same regardless of where you got it???? Guess that would make way too much sense for government bureaucracy.

Right there's no cost so might as well. Agreed there. So since I'm in south jersey and I frequent NYC I have both tags. I "bag swap" so I can get both discounts. Aka after exiting the NJT toll exit 16 towards lincoln tunnel I put the NJ green tag in the Baggie to prevent reading and then I pull the port authority one out for the lincoln tunnel toll. I hold these up by hand (not mounted) since they don't read through the windshield. A bit of a nuisance but hey it saves me $5 off peak heading into the city. That adds up over time.

It's a little more useful than that. From the website:
Peak hours at Port Authority crossings are weekdays from 6 – 10 a.m. and 4 – 8 p.m., and Saturdays and Sundays from 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. All other hours are considered off-peak.
The NY Green discount takes 10% off the Thruway tolls, apparently any time: Green Pass Discount Plan - New York State Thruway
The NJ Green discount is only off-peak: New Jersey Turnpike Authority. The website has this definition:
E-Zpass PEAK HOURS 7:00a.m. - 9:00a.m. / 4:30p.m. - 6:30p.m. / All Day Sat & Sun (based on time of entry)
Seems odd that the weekends are "peak"; I wonder if that's a misprint.

In any case, if I'm driving through NJ/NYC it's often at mid-day (setting off from Maine at 6am or so), so all these discounts can be useful. I'm just not sure I care to juggle three or four different passes!

- - - Updated - - -

EZ-Pass is pretty close to universal. The same pass gets you around in Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia and West Virginia. What's not universal are the state-specific discounts. Maine has a commuter discount (reductions for frequent trips), etc. It's fairly sensible that states want to focus such discounts on the locals.

• Informative
Reactions: macanjr
Aka after exiting the NJT toll exit 16 towards Lincoln tunnel I put the NJ green tag in the Baggie to prevent reading and then I pull the port authority one out for the Lincoln tunnel toll.
There is my confusion and I think you just answered it. It's the "Port Authority of NY & NJ". But it seems as you need the NY-EZPass to get the discount on the port authority bridges/tunnels. Like I said, can't these organizations just get along and give the same discounts all around. Not that it matters although a NJ resident, I have the NY EZ-Pass becasue they were the first to offer it when I often crossed the Mid-Town tunnel (I was tired of waiting 10 minutes to pay a toll).

The NY Green discount takes 10% off the Thruway tolls, apparently any time: Green Pass Discount Plan - New York State Thruway
The NJ Green discount is only off-peak: New Jersey Turnpike Authority. The website has this definition:

you're forgetting the third one, (the one I have), the Port Authority Green Pass Discount Plan: E-ZPass - Bridges Tunnels The Port Authority Green Pass Discount Plan (PAGRN) offers a $5.50 toll rate during off-peak hours to vehicles on New York's Clean Pass Program Vehicle Eligibility List that pre-register for the program.

There is my confusion and I think you just answered it. It's the "Port Authority of NY & NJ". But it seems as you need the NY-EZPass to get the discount on the port authority bridges/tunnels.

Yes and no. They are different tags. The PANYNJ one is different than the New York State Thruway Green EZ Pass. The tag's are differentiated by their tag ID:
ezpass_agency.png

I posted this on another thread but it belongs here, too:

I took delivery of my Model S 60 in late December. I have the technology package. I was told by a tech at the delivery facility that with the latest tech package there is no place to put an EZ-Pass transponder on the windshield because of the new style of coating. When I got my license plates I called NY EZ-Pass (I am a NJ resident but have the NY EZ-Pass) to get an external transponder. When I asked about the Green Plan for hybrids and electrics I was told it was not available with an external tag.
Anyone been able to get the Green Plan with an external tag?

I posted this on another thread but it belongs here, too:

I took delivery of my Model S 60 in late December. I have the technology package. I was told by a tech at the delivery facility that with the latest tech package there is no place to put an EZ-Pass transponder on the windshield because of the new style of coating. When I got my license plates I called NY EZ-Pass (I am a NJ resident but have the NY EZ-Pass) to get an external transponder. When I asked about the Green Plan for hybrids and electrics I was told it was not available with an external tag.
Anyone been able to get the Green Plan with an external tag?

As yobigd said, they don't do the green pass in an external tag. There is a way to mount the internal tag behind the front nose cone that is documented here:

Mounted MA EZ-Pass behind front grill: here's how

The green EZ pass is taller than the one shown in the pictures (old style ez pass), but it will still fit.