Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel chair access in a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gjunky

Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs
Mar 26, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
There is a very old thread about this but since a few years went by and we are getting closer to seeing a Model X for real, I thought I would bring this back. Feel free to lock this if this is against the rules.

The old thread was talking about a lift:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/archive/index.php/t-7247.html

But what I was wondering if it would be possible to have a Model X with a ramp which would extend below the Falcon wing doors and allow a person in a wheelchair to access the car and lock their wheelchair into a floor anchor.

My neighbor has a modified Honda van and although it is a nice car, all the mechanical modifications seem to be very archaic. A factory engineered package would be so much better. I know the Falcon wing doors allow people to walk in but how about ride in? The flat floor would be ideal and I think there is enough headroom (the Honda van is not that tall either). The Model X already has air suspension so it can come down to enter and it obviously has enough energy to power the electric ramp and door openers. I know it is not a huge market but it should also not be a huge piece of engineering for the Tesla team.

I think it's a great idea - and maybe when Tesla is ready to introduce self-driving vehicles, it should be something considered (since the overlap between people requiring self-driving and wheel-chair access might be substantial).

Until then, imo they need to stay focused on the goal of getting the product introduced. Each new feature creep is a delay, no matter how minor it seems to people.

I agree this is a good idea, and also agree Tesla should focus on getting the X out to customers and later the ≡. But one day the Honda Odyssey we have with a ramp and rotating driver's seat will need to be replaced. If Telsa makes it easy to take out the middle seats and the opening at the bottom of the falcon door is wide enough for small scooter or wheelchair, it will be relatively easy to do a similar conversion with the X.

I am fairly sure that one of the aftermarket
companies that specialize in this market would love to partner with Tesla to make it happen.