Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I won't order my Tesla...yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done my research, crunched my numbers and did my test drive but I won't be buying the Tesla S yet.

Before you all crucify me for my decision, here is where I am going with this. I've worked hard and earned a comfortable living. I like some level of performance, so long as I can get 0-60mph in less than 7secs, I'm happy.
I like creature comforts and can appreciate the little things in life.

My Tesla S would be an S85 with just a few options. Total 110k.
During my test drive, I love how the car drives and feels on the road.
But in this price range, there are certain levels of quality you would come to expect. I understand Tesla chose Technology over certain things but the interior needs a little more TLC without having the need to spend more.
Materials, lack of cabin storage, fit and finish felt not up to par at this level of luxury car.

I refuse to consider gas savings as part of the calculation of the price of ownership. I would like to buy an electric car so that I don't have to spend 300$ in gas a month but this doesn't mean I am willing to spend it on a car either. It's like paying Tesla instead of the gas stations. That's how I feel about it.

I can spend 30K less and get a very nice BMW, Mercedes, Porsche or Lexus that would suit my needs and with excellent luxury finishings. That 30K would almost be 10years worth of gas.

So when Elon can make a car that is Lux comparable and doesn't demand such a high premium for EV technology, I have to hold back and wait. So Mr. Musk, I hope you can overcome this sooner than later.

"There's no accounting for taste." It's no crime to prefer another car. In my case, I'd tried a number of those more luxurious cars and found them to be nicer versions of what I already had. That didn't impress me. The Model S, on the other hand, was qualitatively different. That DID impress me, so I bought it.

If you're looking for conventional luxury from Tesla, I'm afraid you'll have a long wait: at least two years, and possibly much longer if you have to wait until after the mass-market model. Again, that's your choice. Just don't hold your breath.

By the way: total cost of ownership is a fair comparison, and fuel is an important part of that calculation. Of course, so is the purchase price. You can't ignore either in a fair cost comparison.

I'm sure the mods will move this thread to the appropriate place and that the OP just didn't notice where he/she was posting.

To the OP: sounds like the Model S isn't for you. At this time in Tesla's development history the cost of the battery is a much larger fraction of the total cost of the car than the typical ICE engine is in a conventional car. Tesla will drive down that cost when the Gigafactory starts producing batteries.

The minimalist interior design is an aspect of the car that I greatly admire, but not everyone does. I have no problem with the materials used or the "fit and finish", but then I have never owned a car in the Model S price range. The cost of the car is driven by the battery and revolutionary drive train, not by high end interior materials, and I'm fine with that. That's why I bought it.

I refuse to consider gas savings as part of the calculation of the price of ownership... It's like paying Tesla instead of the gas stations. That's how I feel about it.

Do some research and find out exactly where your money for gas is going and what environmental, political, and social ramification results from those gas dollars you are spending.

I don't know if you have children, but even if you do not, this is a good exercise to do before you consider buying a gas vs. electric car. For me, it wasn't about the gas savings either. It was about looking at the future for my children, their children, and so on. This may be called naive, and, in fact, I believe we are circling the drain in any event, but that's not to say this one human being will not attempt, in his microscopic, tiny bit way, to slow the flush by driving an electric vs. gas car.

Who knows, with another one like you on board we may be able to get things turned around even faster.... ;)

Even if you feel that a BMW,Lexus, or any other comparable choice of vehicle is better than the Tesla, don't forget to factor in all the maintenance and repairs for those other cars. After four or five years of owning one of those ICE OPTIONS will you have any warranty left to speak of? That $30 grand you think you've saved will be absorbed by a host of things that can and will need repair or replacement! I'm done with BMW's Cadillacs, and all the others you mentioned. It's your choice so enjoy what ever you choose.
I've done my research, crunched my numbers and did my test drive but I won't be buying the Tesla S yet.

Before you all crucify me for my decision, here is where I am going with this. I've worked hard and earned a comfortable living. I like some level of performance, so long as I can get 0-60mph in less than 7secs, I'm happy.
I like creature comforts and can appreciate the little things in life.

My Tesla S would be an S85 with just a few options. Total 110k.
During my test drive, I love how the car drives and feels on the road.
But in this price range, there are certain levels of quality you would come to expect. I understand Tesla chose Technology over certain things but the interior needs a little more TLC without having the need to spend more.
Materials, lack of cabin storage, fit and finish felt not up to par at this level of luxury car.

I refuse to consider gas savings as part of the calculation of the price of ownership. I would like to buy an electric car so that I don't have to spend 300$ in gas a month but this doesn't mean I am willing to spend it on a car either. It's like paying Tesla instead of the gas stations. That's how I feel about it.

I can spend 30K less and get a very nice BMW, Mercedes, Porsche or Lexus that would suit my needs and with excellent luxury finishings. That 30K would almost be 10years worth of gas.

So when Elon can make a car that is Lux comparable and doesn't demand such a high premium for EV technology, I have to hold back and wait. So Mr. Musk, I hope you can overcome this sooner than later.

First off, welcome to the forum. Your first post is an interesting one, however. I am not really sure why you chose to even make a post here. If you have indeed done your research, crunched your numbers and have taken your test drive, why did you want to tell us about it? If you chose BMW did you also post on the Cadillac boards? Or did you post here so we could try to "talk you out of it"? Every Tesla owner I know considers their car to be both innovative and revolutionary. BUT every Tesla owner I know is also big enough to quickly admit that a Tesla is not for everyone. You have done your research and found Tesla lacking in what you consider to be the best choice for your money right now. I wish you well in finding exactly what you are looking for in a vehicle. I, on the other hand, will be driving for free (solar power at home) in the vehicle that will change the transportation industry world-wide.

Once was a term going around saying "25% of test drives turn into a sale". If you ever wondered about the other 75%, this is an example. Most non buyers do not get involved in the forums. The OP here seems to want to give feedback and it seems to be worth checking out someone who chose one way or another. Many may feel the same way but don't post to express. Not all horses are zebras. Well, you know...

I think the OP really would like to buy a Tesla.
The thread title contains the word "My".
I completely understand the sticker shock when you look at the Interior materials and design.
Companies like Audi and Porsche have really talented designers.
It's just that the pleasure from the regenerative braking, acceleration and surprisingly good handling trump all.
BTW, an S85 with Tech and Premium interior is just a tick over 78K with tax breaks in my state.

I had a similar reaction when I first saw the Model S up close in the fall of 2012. But I later realized that the only way to look at the Model S is in its totality. If you start nitpicking little things, it's easy to miss the big picture. First and foremost, what you are getting in a Model S that can't be found in any other car at any price is the driving experience. What every Model S owner will tell you is that the worst thing about owning one is getting back into your other car—even if that other car is a fully loaded BMW 7 Series or a Mercedes AMG. In virtually every driving situation, the Model S feels superior on the road.

Sure, I wish the front seats had larger bolsters, and the interior build quality could be taken up a notch, but now that I've driven my Model S for 28,000 miles, I don't even notice those things. The seamless power delivery and one-pedal driving has become indispensable. I can't imagine going back to a gasoline powered car with a transmission. The savings on fuel and maintenance are a nice perk too, but it's really about the driving experience.

By the way, there is an optional center console available in Tesla's online store. It's beautifully made. Personally, I have found the open storage tray between the front seats to be very handy, so I haven't opted for the console.

Even if you feel that a BMW,Lexus, or any other comparable choice of vehicle is better than the Tesla, don't forget to factor in all the maintenance and repairs for those other cars. After four or five years of owning one of those ICE OPTIONS will you have any warranty left to speak of? That $30 grand you think you've saved will be absorbed by a host of things that can and will need repair or replacement! I'm done with BMW's Cadillacs, and all the others you mentioned. It's your choice so enjoy what ever you choose.

I keep seeing this, but in 5 years of owning my R8 I've spent less in maintenance costs (not including tires -- which are similarly priced to replacing the 21's) as my Model S. Sure, there aren't as many fluids and such, but those were always handled under service anyway.

Not to mention my Model S has been in for service more times as well. I love my Model S, but I don't turn a blind eye toward its shortcomings just to make myself feel better about my decision to own one.

To the OP: totally get it wrt interior on a car in this price range. I'd like better seats and better materials personally, but at the end of the day they don't take much away from my enjoyment of the car. As someone else said, you have to take in the big picture then decide if it's worth it.

The OP's position is likely to be an increasingly larger challenge for Tesla as they saturate owners willing to buy the Model S at luxury car prices, missing features present in other cars at the same price point, and when they move into the lower price range with the Model 3.

One big thing that Tesla should be investing in right now is the software. Despite the capabilities of the onboard systems (17" touchscreen, reconfigurable dashboard, continuous internet, ...), the software not only doesn't compete well with other luxury cars of comparable price - but has less capabilities of cars in the lower Model 3 price range.

And the improvements in the software would not only help in reducing concerns like the OP about missing features in Tesla cars - but also benefit all Tesla owners.

Hopefully Tesla will start addressing more of the backlog of missing software features in upcoming releases...

It all comes down to what your priority is on what you get for the money-- having an all-electric car with range practical for inter-city driving, or having a more luxurious interior. I'm not judging, that's just the decision people have to make. Those who aren't into the battery thing and don't mind ICE usually aren't going to choose Tesla. No additional software features are going to change this.

For me, the quality of the drive is unmatched by any other car.
True, it isn't as "plush" as some others and you don't have an option for a seat massager or HUD.
For me, the instant response, one pedal driving, and 100% torque at 0 rpm, and fueling convenience make the overall ownership superior to any other car.

This isn't the case for everyone, to each their own. I hear some people still prefer horse drawn carriages ;)