Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit in garage question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone could give me insight and advice from fitting the Model S into a their garage I would greatly appreciate it. Does the car truly go from 77 to 86" width with the mirrors out?

I am expecting delivery of my MS sometime in mid to late December, HPWC just shipped out today. At our house we have a three car garage separated into a big wide door and smaller 93" door. My wife usually has been using the "double wide" side with her 76" SUV taking up both stalls which is good being the kids are predominantly with her. I actually already have a 40 amp GE Wattstation already on the smaller side as I leased a Ford Focus EV for two years to use around town, and I planned on upgrading that breaker to 100A for the HPWC. I was holding off on the upgrade until the car got here and I could see what parking it really was like. My concern is due to the width of the MS I might damage it parking in the garage coming home tired one day. I am coming from a long line of smaller / sports cars and when I am pulling up the width online of the MS it lists it as 86 width which is wider than any of the BMWs, Audi, Porsches that I have owned, even incidentally wider than a Hummer2 (I never had one) which is listed as 81.3"

So please, if any of you who park their MS in a single car garage and chime in about their experience I would appreciate it. Are the parking sensors useful for keeping you lined up as you go through a narrow door?

Thanks

The sensors aren't really useful for lining up as you go through the entrance, however you can fold the mirrors in with the push of a hardware button by the driver's side window controls. I always do this when entering my garage because I get kind of close to the right side of the entrance. Gains you a few inches on each side and you don't need to use your mirrors when pulling straight in anyway.

I drive into a standard width (north american) single wide bay and dont fold mirrors, have several inches on both sides to clear the door jamb.
I have thought about adding a targeting system using a red laser pointer mounted somewhere on the car in a fixed position that hits a target on garage wall. Either a single laser dead centered. Or maybe two lasers that are aimed to mark where the wingtips of the mirrors would strike if driven ahead. Or all three.

I believe chamberlin has a red laser connected to the garage door opener that will fire when the door is open. You can aim it to hit a point on your car once it hit such point you're lined up. Easier then mounting stuff on your car.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.costco.ca/Chamberlain-Ultimate-Garage-Door-Opener-and-Accessory-Bundle.product.100002870.html

I believe chamberlin has a red laser connected to the garage door opener that will fire when the door is open. You can aim it to hit a point on your car once it hit such point you're lined up. Easier then mounting stuff on your car.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.costco.ca/Chamberlain-Ultimate-Garage-Door-Opener-and-Accessory-Bundle.product.100002870.html

ive got this already... parking stop indicator

What I was talking about here was the other way around, mounting lasers on the car that target the front wall

Some people have been asking for geo-located mirror folding as a software enhancement, for this very reason.
Good for going into garage.

Some people have been asking for better folding control and geo-located folding, maybe we'll see that one day to help.

OR JUST GET RID OF MIRRORS! cameras instead, and finally get rid of these wings sticking out the sides

If you live reasonably close to a sales center have them come out with a car and do a "Home Test Drive". They were very accommodating in doing this for me, I live about 20 miles from the sales center and in Seattle traffic it probably took him 40+min to drive out.

We checked to see if air suspension was required for the slope of the drive aisle. And, since I have a hard turn from my drive aisle into my single-car garage of my townhouse, we checked to make sure the drive aisle was wide enough and I could make the turn (I'm at the end of the aisle against a cement wall).

We found that we couldn't pull the car into the garage and I was severely bummed as that was a deal breaker, but then we decided to try backing it in.

I backed it down the drive aisle and turned in with reverse, one small adjustment forward to line up and and fit it in easily (with mirrors in). Parking sensors were very helpful in this case as I was walled in on nearly every side. To leave, I am able to pull forward and turn and make it out in one movement with no adjusting (which means if I get good enough at going backwards, I could do the same, but I don't mind the 15-seconds extra of adjusting the angle)

We practiced the maneuver a half dozen times until I was certain that this was something I wouldn't mind doing every day.

So, if you're a serious buyer, tell them you want to do a home test to confirm you can get it into the garage easily. They should help you out.

That is a great suggestion! Thank you. I am in San Antonio, nearest center is currently an hour away in Austin, and I will call them as my delivery gets closer. I am supposed to be taking delivery of my P85D VIN 64840 the third week of December. I also got the air suspension for just the same reason, of a relatively sloped driveway. My concern is over never had such a wide car, and my current 40A Level 2 charger is on the narrower 93" side, and the cable won't make it to the wider door. The house is relatively new, and 7 3/4' seems like such a strange width for a garage door. I am considering widening the door by 15" to an honest 9' if it proves problematic. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

If you live reasonably close to a sales center have them come out with a car and do a "Home Test Drive". They were very accommodating in doing this for me, I live about 20 miles from the sales center and in Seattle traffic it probably took him 40+min to drive out.

This is exactly what we did before purchasing. (We did the same thing about 11 years ago when we bought a Volvo V70). It took only a few minutes -- the representative from Tesla drove the car to our home, we drove it around for a few minutes, then my wife and I took turns parking it in our garage. We placed our order that evening and have enjoyed the Tesla since March.