Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 questions: hanging up bluetooth phonecall, preheating car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) If I want to hang up after a bluetooth phonecall, is there any way to do it without having to physically tap the phone symbol on the screen and pressing the end call button? (I realize I can reach down to my phone and hang it up there, too)

2) I've noticed that when I preheat my car while plugged into a NMEA 50 amp plug that my rated range is going down from 205 (normal rated range for my completed daily reduced charge. I don't full charge the battery) to around 200 miles. Doesn't this mean that the car is using electricity from the car's battery instead of using electricity from the plug?

1. If it's not convenient to press the button, I just wait for the other party to hang up.

2. As far as I know, what actually happens is that the wall plug keeps recharging the battery while it's plugged in--there's not actually a separate circuit to the wall plug. However, I've never had my range go down while pre-heating so you might want to contact Ownership about that.

2. As far as I know, what actually happens is that the wall plug keeps recharging the battery while it's plugged in--there's not actually a separate circuit to the wall plug. However, I've never had my range go down while pre-heating so you might want to contact Ownership about that.

Huh...anyone else notice their rated range decrease while plugged into a charger and preheating?

While in a call, Press the top-right thumb button twice. Once to display the phone menu, second time to end the call.

That's what I was looking for. A technique that will allow me to keep my hands on the wheel rather than go through 3 or 4 screen presses. Thanks.

I use a HPWC to charge my car and I've noticed that when the car is fully charged and I'm preheating the cabin it drains current from the grid and not the battery. It's about 11A continuously and there is no loss in charge in the process.

I'm not sure how it works with 14-50, but I would assume it's gotta be the same.

One would think that the car's computer would pull from the battery whatever it needed to preheat the car and/or battery. If the car was plugged in, the BMS would then see the battery level dropping below the desired charging limit/level, then would charge the battery to bring it back up to 205 miles (in my case). That way the car cabin is warm, the battery is warm, AND I have the desired 205 rated range I like to start the day with.

Perhaps heating the battery and the cabin exceeds the NEMA 50 plug's electrical capacity, so maybe the battery makes up the difference, hence the slight drop in rated range after preheating for 15 or 20 minutes?

Quite honestly, the whole thing is not a big deal. I guess I have just an academic interest in what is going on with the S. When I had my Volt, when I preheated it in the winter, it always drained the battery a little bit when plugged in because the charger could only deliver 12A@220V to the battery. This ~2600W was not enough to charge the battery AND preheat the car. I figured with the NEMA 50 plug being able to deliver significantly more power to the S, that it would be enough to heat the car, heat the battery, and keep the battery topped off all at the same time.

Regarding pre-heating, yes the car is supposed to use wall power to pre-heat--range should not drop when connected to wall power. I would ask at your Service Center. I pre-heat for approximately an hour in my garage with a HPWC and at my office with a 40amp J1772 with no range drop.

-m

One would think that the car's computer would pull from the battery whatever it needed to preheat the car and/or battery. If the car was plugged in, the BMS would then see the battery level dropping below the desired charging limit/level, then would charge the battery to bring it back up to 205 miles (in my case). That way the car cabin is warm, the battery is warm, AND I have the desired 205 rated range I like to start the day with.

Perhaps heating the battery and the cabin exceeds the NEMA 50 plug's electrical capacity, so maybe the battery makes up the difference, hence the slight drop in rated range after preheating for 15 or 20 minutes?

Quite honestly, the whole thing is not a big deal. I guess I have just an academic interest in what is going on with the S. When I had my Volt, when I preheated it in the winter, it always drained the battery a little bit when plugged in because the charger could only deliver 12A@220V to the battery. This ~2600W was not enough to charge the battery AND preheat the car. I figured with the NEMA 50 plug being able to deliver significantly more power to the S, that it would be enough to heat the car, heat the battery, and keep the battery topped off all at the same time.

Do you have the climate control set in "range mode" (says "Eco" on the little tab on the touchscreen display)? Range mode is most efficient for when driving but it doesn't let "shore power" (pulling from the wall) heat the battery, even while actively charging. Perhaps if the battery is cold your indicated range is dropping some as well. Just a thought.