Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options for protecting the charging cord?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a search but didn't see anything. My garage set up forces me to bring the UMC around the back of my car to plug in. I notice when I do this the cord drags along the ground. I try to be careful but there is going to be some wear and tear on the cord.

Is there a product that you can wrap around the cord to absorb some of this and protect the cord?

At work we use this self wrapping wire loom to make wire harnesses. Mcmaster carr sells the stuff, not too expensive. I think it would work and could easily be replaced. They make two versions, a braided one and a abrasion resistant one. Just slip it over the cord and your good to go. McMaster-carr #2649K53 for half inch diameter, sold in 3 ft lengths.
Self Wrapping loom.jpg

Mcmaster-Carr, I love that company, I restored an antique espresso machine just with parts from them. They have the oddest products, like high temp lubricants and gasket cutters and materials. The search interface is pure genius.

Thank you, I will look into that. I was thinking I might also just go to a fabric store and look at sewing together a long tube of fabric to pop over the cord, or find someone who can sew at any rate.

A few weeks ago, I became concerned about the same thing happening to my HPWC cable so I investigated the McMaster Carr options, too. Since some of the family had plans to go to the fabric store for Halloween supplies, I instead asked them to pick up some heavy denim. A few stitches and a couple of zip ties later, the portion of the cable that's being moved along the floor is covered with denim. Probably not as nice as the McMaster Carr options, but it cost just a few dollars and happened much faster. We'll see how it holds up to the minor dragging it endures.

A few weeks ago, I became concerned about the same thing happening to my HPWC cable so I investigated the McMaster Carr options, too. Since some of the family had plans to go to the fabric store for Halloween supplies, I instead asked them to pick up some heavy denim. A few stitches and a couple of zip ties later, the portion of the cable that's being moved along the floor is covered with denim. Probably not as nice as the McMaster Carr options, but it cost just a few dollars and happened much faster. We'll see how it holds up to the minor dragging it endures.

The zip ties are a fantastic idea. I think I will try this and see if I can ge some canvas or something. The McMaster option was a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I’ve dragged old (cheaper) extension cords around my house for decades and never remotely had ‘wear’ from rubbing on concrete / aggregate / etc.. other wear, yes, but not that. I don’t think you have to worry. You can always just use it and if you see any small sign of wear, do something then.

All valid responses, but for whatever it's worth the polymer material that high current electrical cords are wrapped in is pretty damn tough. It's hard for me to imagine anything remotely close to "routine wear and tear" would do much to them other than make them dirty. This includes dragging repeatedly against "normal" rough concrete, around brick walls, etc. As long as you're not putting a lot of force on the cable at any point, you probably have nothing at all to worry about.