Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old car I've done SF-Annapolis in less than 48 hours. Anyone hit 155mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had some racing training, used to live right by Laguna Seca near Navy Postgraduate School. In ICE cars, have done Bay Area to LA in 3.X hours, SF to Annapolis in less than 48 hours, sleeping 4 hours in Topeka KS. :)

P85D on order. I'd love to see if anyone's hit the max speed and how the handling was. I think there's no way to do cross country in 48 hours as the charge time eats into the total time since the faster you go the more charging, until the battery replacement stations become ubiquitous. Once they do I'd love to see if it's possible to break 42 hours.

I can certainly understand your trepidation, however an experienced long distance driver going high speeds is less dangerous than the myriad drunk drivers out there. To go across country in less than 2 days you don't need to speed in highly populated areas, you do most of it through Nevada, Montana, Nebraska, Kansas.

In addition, Elon Musk has said that the P85D will be able to avoid a dog or small child even when doing 155mph with the collision detection and avoidance system. So this is likely the safest car to speed in in the world.

I can certainly understand your trepidation, however an experienced long distance driver going high speeds is less dangerous than the myriad drunk drivers out there. To go across country in less than 2 days you don't need to speed in highly populated areas, you do most of it through Nevada, Montana, Nebraska, Kansas.

In addition, Elon Musk has said that the P85D will be able to avoid a dog or small child even when doing 155mph with the collision detection and avoidance system. So this is likely the safest car to speed in in the world.

Hahahaha! That's a GREAT argument! "It's less dangerous than a drunk driver."

Let's raise the bar to "as safe as every other sober driver on the road". :) And yeah, I'd rather not be on the road with you. Because there ARE drunk drivers out, plus people driving super slow, etc. And in those non-populated areas, there are deer darting out in the road and and and.

We human beings are so good at rationalizing our actions. So so good.

I think there's no way to do cross country in 48 hours as the charge time eats into the total time since the faster you go the more charging, until the battery replacement stations become ubiquitous.

It's theoretically possible with help (e.g. people on the road reserving the SuperCharger spots for you, making sure nobody else is using a A1+A2 pair when you arrive etc.). Timing traffic conditions perfectly so you don't hit traffic & roadworks on the way. Driver swaps on the road so you don't carry passengers and other weight.

The maximum average speed of a Model S P85 with supercharging stops, is around ~59mph - with a average drive speed of 77mph. Now the D is ~10% more efficient, so let's say average 65mph, drive speed 85mph.

The distance you're talking about would take 43.5 hours in the D, and 48 hours in the S.

It would be a challenge, and you'd probably fail 9 out of 10 times, but it's not completely impossible. (Once there are SuperChargers on the most direct road at least).

I sincerely hope your route does not come anywhere close to where I am going to be! The Tesla may indeed be the safest car for YOU to be in, but a >2 ton hurtling mass traveling at >2 times the speed limit, driven by someone who is just out to make a name for him/herself, with extremely questionable mental/moral capacity, unconcerned about the welfare of others on the road...well, like I said, I hope your route does not come anywhere near me.

Why is driving an average of 67mph (85mph on the highway plus stops) for 2825 miles in 42 hours in a car that has full collision avoidance demonstrated extremely questionable mental/moral capacity? That seems an overreaction.

I sincerely hope your route does not come anywhere close to where I am going to be! The Tesla may indeed be the safest car for YOU to be in, but a >2 ton hurtling mass traveling at >2 times the speed limit, driven by someone who is just out to make a name for him/herself, with extremely questionable mental/moral capacity, unconcerned about the welfare of others on the road...well, like I said, I hope your route does not come anywhere near me.

I suspect that Chipper was referring to your 155 MPH plan (or sort of plan).

Ah, that explains it. 155mph is doable at Laguna Seca or Sonoma raceway for maybe half an hour to an hour, but it's simply not feasible for cross country even if you wanted to. The time spent charging at any speed over 95 seems to outweigh the excess gains in distance per time at those higher speeds.

I read through the article, it says, there were no injuries in those 3 collisions. The new Tesla has active collisions avoidance, so it won't even experience these types of collisions. In addition, in the West, most people driving out on the barren stretches are doing 90+ mph.

Again, is this people's visceral fear overestimating the risks? Or is this a bias neutral, actuarial evidence bolstered argument? How is it possible that Germany even has an autobahn if anything over 65 is high likelihood of accident?

It seems people want to say the safe thing, rather than the accurate thing. However, as a scientist, I'm willing to change my mind if people can find some data on collision rates that show driving in next generation cars aren't as safe as the press reports indicate.

The wildlife strike risk is real. Although in the example in the link below the hazard may be because the road is new and the wildlife have not yet adapted to avoid it. This could be you:

Drivers colliding with animals on nation's fastest highway in Texas - U.S. News