Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Roadster have a Tow Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be curious to know if the 1.5 shift lever actually uses a mechanical linkage or not. My guess is not, very few (automatic) shift levers are physically connected to the transmission these days.

No, doesn't use mechanical. However it does appear to be more robust and allowing you to do more than the push buttons without complaints. If you're slightly rolling and do a gear select change the buttons will not allow it and beep, for the shift lever its more forgiving. But that's mostly I would presume be just down to software programming differences.

If you're slightly rolling and do a gear select change the buttons will not allow it and beep...

Actually, when I really want to impress someone, I do a California "sushi" rolling stop, go into Neutral, press the accelerator, and ask the passenger to hit "D" whenever they're ready.

What's fun is that people typically lean forward a bit to hit the "D" button, and the acceleration throws them back.

But, the car has to be slightly rolling forward at the time.

BTW, thanks all for the inputs on Tow Mode.