Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D styling not distinctive enough?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very surprised that the flagship performance car, the P85D, looks exactly like a 60 or 85 from the exterior. When commanding that type of premium price, why not have it stand apart from the exterior besides a simple badge, red calipers, and stick on carbon fiber spoiler (none of which this P85D has, looks like a barebones 60 w/ 21's) that everyone else has? Tesla needs to do what BMW, Mercedes, and Audi do- have clear distinctive exterior enhancements like their M, AMG, and S cars. I understand Tesla is maximizing profits, but come on here Elon.. this $130K "supercar-like" performance car looks like your $70K version, but faster. Where are the suspension enhancements? Carbon ceramic brakes? You know, the things that upgrade premium performance cars get with the premium price upgrade. The P85D should even have its own unique 21" wheel design, specific to the P85D.

Tesla is more subtle and understated than other manufacturers. I like their approach.

Seems to me like Tesla is more interested in simplifying their logistics management, not complicating it.

Yes, why not get more of a value and bang for your buck with additional performance enhancements and premium features at a premium price over the base model, lets not complicate things- you are right. Let's all expect the minimal amount of additions and features at a maximum price, so Tesla can keep their simple/minimal logistics management process in place (and of course, profit margins.) I am sure with that type of mentality, Tesla will come out with a $175K variant with 800 horsepower and no additional upgrades and everyone will still buy it right up.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine if BMW subscribed to Tesla's way of "minimal" thinking when designing their M class cars.

Introducing the BMW 5 Series!

2014-bmw-5-series-4-door-sedan-528i-rwd-angular-front-exterior-view_100461228_s.jpg

Time to unveil- the M! - Introducing the fastest production sedan in the world, the M5! Only $30,000+ over base price!

2014-bmw-5-series-4-door-sedan-528i-rwd-angular-front-exterior-view_100461228_s.jpg

Wait, they look the same... but... " I love their minimal understated approach! "

I am very surprised that the flagship performance car, the P85D, looks exactly like a 60 or 85 from the exterior. When commanding that type of premium price, why not have it stand apart from the exterior besides a simple badge, red calipers, and stick on carbon fiber spoiler (none of which this P85D has, looks like a barebones 60 w/ 21's) that everyone else has? Tesla needs to do what BMW, Mercedes, and Audi do- have clear distinctive exterior enhancements like their M, AMG, and S cars. I understand Tesla is maximizing profits, but come on here Elon.. this $130K "supercar-like" performance car looks like your $70K version, but faster. Where are the suspension enhancements? Carbon ceramic brakes? You know, the things that upgrade premium performance cars get with the premium price upgrade. The P85D should even have its own unique 21" wheel design, specific to the P85D.

Agreed. It needs to send the clear message "don't even think about it".

You get the new performance seats only on the P85D. And the spoiler. And the red brake calipers.

So a couple things, but these are pretty minor. The P85D should have a couple of exclusive paint colors IMHO. ("If you see an electric blue Tesla coming up, just pull over because it a P85D!" for example, heh) Adding a few paint colors wouldn't be as expensive as changing other parts on the car.

I was also hoping some of the AMG trimmings might come over, but especially now as Daimler has separated themselves, little chance of that. The steering wheel is the same as on a 2003 something (SL?) AMG though. There was one parked next to me at a Mercedes event earlier this summer.

-m

Give me a break dude, really? Does a BMW M5 look like this? How about a Mercedes S65 AMG? How about the Audi RS7?

tard.big.gif

Yes, tesla really needs to pimp up their offering, something like this would be nice:
View attachment 63476

:rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

What I am simply stating is the P85D should clearly have exterior performance queues and LOOK like a premium upgrade over the standard versions, especially at such a price difference from a 60/85 to a P85D. Example, tasteful yet much better/aggressive styling and suspension, brake, and other aero enhancements - especially when deeming the car a "Performance" model.. More horsepower and All Wheel Drive shouldn't be the only upgrades for your flagship "performance" model, period. Clearly, BMW and Mercedes offer more value when stepping up for their performance models than just added horsepower. I have a P85 and love it, but clearly the P85D was made to increase profits while delivering minimal value for maximum price- they have a LOT of catching up to do with the big boys!

When you pay extra for an M, AMG, or S performance package you don't just get a 'faster' car- you get a BETTER car than the base model for the money. This should be the case with the P85D performance package. The P85D is only faster, NOT a better overall car.

BMW 5 Series (Base 535i)

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-12%20at%203.05.34%20PM.png

2014-bmw-535i-xdrive-photo-556843-s-1280x782.jpg

BMW M5

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-12%20at%203.06.33%20PM.png

548870_452206888169700_241596713_n.jpg

Mercedes S550 Base

2014-mercedes-benz-s-class-s550-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-521692-s-429x262.jpg

Mercedes S63 AMG

2014-mercedes-benz-s63-amg-photo-541546-s-1280x782.jpg

Tesla Model S 60kw

2013-tesla-model-s_100412524_m.jpg

Tesla Model S P85D

2013-tesla-model-s_100412524_m.jpg

Last edited:
the P85D was made to increase profits while delivering minimal value for maximum price- they have a LOT of catching up to do with the big boys!

Personally I bought the P85D for the enjoyment of the performance, not to increase my naughty bits size. In fact, I selected gray exterior on gray interior to draw attention away from the fact that it is a supercar.

Personally I bought the P85D for the enjoyment of the performance, not to increase my naughty bits size. In fact, I selected gray exterior on gray interior to draw attention away from the fact that it is a supercar.

Man, this supercar term is getting tossed out there like its nothing.

The P85D accelerates quickly to 60. It in no way, shape, or form brakes/handles/performs like a supercar on any supercar-like testing metrics of any scale. It barely runs a high 11 second quarter mile.. in fact, it runs a 11.8 @ 115MPH and even a Chevrolet Corvette Stingray runs a 11.9 @ 118MPH with only 460HP. The '15 Corvette Z06 with 41 less horsepower than the P85D (650 for the Z06) runs a 2.9 0-60 and high 10 second quarter mile at 128MPH. It will also destroy it on any track in the world. The Mercedes S63 AMG, Audi RS7, and BMW M5 will also dominate the P85D on a track, especially after the first lap.

Let's all agree, the P85D is a fast car from 0-60- but a SUPERCAR, it is not.

this is EXACTLY why i am interested in the p85d. few people will even recognize it. in fact, if it were not for the wife i would ask tesla to not install the p85d badge when i order. the e34 5 and m5 look almost identical, save different wheels. modern power cars are far too shouty for my tastes.

a sleeper with rail-gun style acceleration is just what i find enticing.

I agree with Perfect Flaw.
Some here say they want the "understated" performance version, I wouldn't to be honest.
To me, that's like putting a great engine in a Pinto, without changing the stance, hood or tires.

It's not just about showing off either, but getting your money worth... and that means ON THE EXTERIOR too.
Yea, I know all the tech etc is swell, but you can't see it and it doesn't make the 4 year old car look any different.

I too think the wheels need updating. I took the stockers off the minute I got them and wouldn't pay for the "upgraded" fans either.
Neither match or really compliment the chrome accents of the car.

A different face and side moldings would be nice... and like others said, specific paint colors only for the P85, like a V8 Mustang of old.

It's great for those who DON'T want it to look different, but for those who DO want it, there should be that possibility.

I need that rollin' coal option, or it ain't gonna happen.

In all seriousness, I am very happy that the largest portion of my investment portfolio is in an organization that appears not to give a hoot about satisfying those who have that "Lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatme" Syndrome.

In all seriousness, I am very happy that the largest portion of my investment portfolio is in an organization that appears not to give a hoot about satisfying those who have that "Lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatme" Syndrome.

Its not about the "look at me" thing with having a performance version, it's about getting more value for your dollar when buying a performance model. Yes, visual enhancements should be there- BUT- what about better handling with sport tuned suspension, enhanced aero, better braking capabilities by either enhanced cooling and/or carbon ceramic brakes, or at least slotted brakes (these are needed for performance driving, especially on a track), maybe a Performance App on the console with performance states like G-Force, tire temp, 0-60 times, lap timer, you know- things that Performance variants of all the $100K+ euro competitors have. The wheels and tires come as an option for the 60kw version! What about lightweight wheels with real performance tires, not junk Continentals with 245 or 265 rears? I can assure you that my lowered coil suspension P85 on 295 rear and 255 front tires handles better than a P85D, and that's pretty bad.

Lets not not talk about the investment side of TSLA, that has a market cap almost as high as GM yet makes no profits and is valued like a tech company vs an automotive company. TSLA is in a bubble area in this dot com bubble 2.0. When the bubble pops I can't wait to hear how everyone sold at the top lol.

For some, it's not a "Look at me, look at me... Syndrome", it's about getting a refresh on the top of the line model.
I also don't think it's a matter of them "giving a hoot" about satisfying those who have that "look at me" need.
They just haven't come up with significant exterior improvements. And what we have suggested would help, but feel free to belittle those who disagree by basically calling them vain... lovely.

So, in 4 or 5 years of making the model S, they should have virtually no improvements to the exterior... from ANY of the models?
That's what will or has happened. And that's a good way to eventually lose business... don't change.
WHEN should they make exterior improvements given that line of thinking.. 6 years, 7, 10, never?

Model S Deliveries Begin June 22 | Tesla Motors
Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First deliveries: June 2012
First European deliveries: August 2013
China: April 2014
UK: June 2014
Japan: September 2014
Australia: Not yet started deliveries

The car has been shipping to customers for 2 1/2 years, and still not rolled out in all launched markets.

I would rather Tesla worked on new products (Model X, Model 3, etc), technology (D, etc), and factory scaling issues, than changing exterior styling. I'd be happy with an exterior styling change every four or five years. We're talking about a car here, not an iPhone.