Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dome light timer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my S85 today. My three year old son and I went for a drive this evening. As we approached the vehicle, the handles presented. As I opened his door, the dome lights came on. I began buckling him into his car seat and the interior dome lights turned off... I had to turn on the flash light function on my phone in order to finish and then walk around to the driver's side. I realize in retrospect that I could have touched the light near his seat to turn it back on (and hopefully remember to turn it off again!), but I'm wondering if that's normal for the Model S. Do the interior dome lights really only stay on for a minute or two? Every other vehicle I've owned leaves the lights on as long as the doors are open. Thanks!

From the manual 4.12-

1. If DOME lights are set to AUTO, interior dome (map) lights turn on when you unlock Model S, open a door upon exiting, or shift into Park. They turn off after 60 seconds, when you lock Model S, or when you shift into a driving gear.
You can also turn an individual dome light on or off by pressing its lens. If you manually turn a dome light on, it turns off when Model S powers off. If Model S was already powered off when you manually turned the light on, it turns off after 60 minutes.