Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weak Windshield Washer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weak Windshield Washer Spray. Anyone fix this???

My windshield washer spray is lame! It only goes up 1/3 of the windshield. Tesla has tried cleaning the tips and aiming it but they said if they adjust it higher it will shoot over the car! They just replaced the pump to see if that made a difference but no difference. Anyone know how to fix this problems?
Thanks so much!!!

I hope Tesla blew out and Tested the system before putting a new pump in there as well as cleaned out the tank. I haven't had a chance to take mine apart since its raining out and that cleans the windshield pretty well. Mine's completely clogged, not even a drip comes out but I do hear the pump working.

My first thing would be to run a very thin piece of wire down the nozzles to clear out any obstruction that may be at the top. I then would pull the hose off at the pump and blow high pressure air through the line. Don't force air from the nozzle down to the pump, there's a one way check valve in the system so that could get damaged if pressure goes the wrong way. If that doesn't work, make sure the pump is clean, pickup is clean, and clean any filters as well as the tank. I'd also try to bypass the check valves (believe there's two of them, one for each side). The check valves could be stuck or clogged.

You may want to merge this thread with your original one. Makes searching easier for others.

Useful Lotus links and pic of the system (#17 are the check valves):
Windshield washer doesn't spray water - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

The Original Lotus Garage - Windscreen Wiper Motor, Wipers Washers
055_elise_17.21_large.jpg

Last edited:
I remember from my Volvo days having a similar problem. Examination showed that fine plastic shavings were clogging the nozzles. Looks like these shavings were introduced in sloppy manufacturing of the washer fluid container. Not the one in the car, the one you purchased from the store. I solved the problem by inserting an inline fuel filter in the line just after the pump.

I had this problem, too. When cleaning the nozzles didn't do anything, I went to Tesla service. Turned out the pump had been used so infrequently that bacteria and/or fungus had clogged it. They cleaned it all out, flushed the entire system, and it's been fine ever since. IIRC, they used some alcohol to kill the bacteria. Their additional advice, which I follow, was if you rarely use the washer, it might be best to run it for a few moments once a month anyway, to keep things from settling and clogging.

My windshield washer spray is lame! It only goes up 1/3 of the windshield.

Because the jets are under the hood lip, I think there is a limit to how far they can be aimed up the glass. Tesla adjusted mine when the car was new, and they now reach about half way up the glass. I can get a decent cleaning if I'm stopped, but while underway, the wind blows the stream even lower on the glass. My trick is to play with the squirt button such that it sprays when the wiper is down so that it brings the fluid over the glass up on the next wipe cycle.

EDIT:... and I didn't notice this is the Roadster forum :redface:

Last edited:
Be warned, sprayers in the arm tend to freeze very easily.

I've had several cars with them. It was popular with Chrysler back in the '80s. The trick is to always use really high quality fluid and give them a squirt every so often. I've heard that either the alcohol in the fluid evaporates and/or water migrates back up the nozzles and can freeze. I actually had pretty good luck with them following these two rules.

I remember getting a Chrysler rental car in the late 80's, for a business trip to Montreal and back. It was horrible - the sprayers never worked and the weather turned sloppy, so I basically drove two hours with the wipers running continuously on a dry windshield. It was just barely scraping enough salt off so that I could see.

I haven't tested it yet as I'm still in the office, but the Tesla technician said that they did everything possible: cleaning it out, blowing pressurized air through, cleaning the nozzles and that is might be "a bit better." I'll report back tomorrow after usage. Thanks all.

Without doing anything my windshield washer sprayer is back to normal. Either there was some gunk at the pickup that finally moved or broke free, or possibly something in the main line since both sprayers were nonfunctional. Its been down to freezing here in Santa Cruz in the past few days, possibly that did something to help break the gunk up. Note I don't use a cleaner that's an antifreeze, don't need it here.

Note I don't use a cleaner that's an antifreeze, don't need it here.

I suspect that may have been part or all of your problem. The antifreeze components discourage biological growth, which may well be what caused your blockage. The freezing temps may have degraded the biomass blocking your system. I would suggest you switch fluids. If I'm wrong, it won't hurt; if I'm right you may never have the problem again.

I suspect that may have been part or all of your problem. The antifreeze components discourage biological growth, which may well be what caused your blockage. The freezing temps may have degraded the biomass blocking your system. I would suggest you switch fluids. If I'm wrong, it won't hurt; if I'm right you may never have the problem again.

I bet you're right on with that theory. Will add something in there soon so it'll prohibit the grow of gunk & funk! Thanks.